Do I Need a Sub and Which One

zuzu

I have 2 channel RF-7's That are 7 feet apart. You see my other stuff below which is on two rock solid oak shelf units side by side. I have a factory refurbished rotel 200 watts/channel that I can A/B with the now installed 150 watt Nad C 272.I plan to have Dean do the RF 7 crossover upgrade. I listen 90% new and old Jazz and 10% classical. No TV and No movies. I listen sort of loud but not real loud. I like to hear all the instuments clearly. I have pretty good 73 year old listening ears. I have a 2400 square listening room 22.5' by !3.5' plus a dining room off to the listeners left which is 9' by 13' Its all carpeted with a popcorn cealing. Ceiling height varies from 8' to 10'. I was thinking of the new SVS SB 12-Plus 425 watt bash amp because I'm hoping to put it between my Speakers on the base solid floor shelf of my equipment rack. The SVS is almost a !4 inch cube and will fit in there nicely. Will a 425 watt bash amp cut the mustard? The $ 700 for the sub is an ouch. Thanks for your feedback.

If you don't blast your music the SVS should keep up with the RF-7s just fine. Something that has helped a lot of people is to get a decibel meter and a calibration DVD or CD and use that to set the gain and crossover levels on the subwoofer.

SVS sometimes sells refurbished items on their site for a bit less than new, and there are great deals on SVS subs to be had on eBay and audiogon as well.

Sub for jazz and classical? Are you listening on vinyl or CD?

The RF-7's are rather potent down low and I think you'd be hardpressed to find a system capable of the same performance for $700...not to mention that I wonder how much low frequency content you're actually missing out on. I would wager that most of your problems have to do with room acoustics - do you notice a lot of bass in other parts of the room? Like the rear corners for example? Depending on the relative position of your mains and the new sub, you may not improve the bass situation if it's related to the acoustics of the room - which would be a real bummer if you're shelling out $700 for it.

A lot of people have been raving about the HSU subs lately, but I've no experience at all with them. This one in particular hits the same $700 price mark as the SVS:

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-3-mk3.html

As far as Klipsch subs, you've got the RW-12d:

http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/rw-12d.aspx

I'm not sure if it'll fit within your dimensions, but you can usually get it for a lot less than the MSRP.

I must confess a little bias towards the Klipsch subs - they tend to be more on the musical side where SVS and HSU are more about digging extremely low (which is good for movies)

The RSW-10d would fit on the bottom of the equipment stand and is 500 watts vs 350 for the RW-12D. Is this a better choice with the greater power. I would favor musical over lows for movies since I dont watch movies. How much might I get as a discount on it? Do these show up on ebay or audiogon? Comments.

I see the RSW-10d for 700.00-800.00 occasionally, I was able to pick one up locally as an open box item, the top of the box was only opened, it was never even taken out of the box, the original customer wanted the 12, so he refused it. I got it for $479.00!

The RSW-10d would fit on the bottom of the equipment stand and is 500 watts vs 350 for the RW-12D. Is this a better choice with the greater power. I would favor musical over lows for movies since I dont watch movies. How much might I get as a discount on it? Do these show up on ebay or audiogon? Comments.

Don't let watt ratings fool you, they generally have VERY little to do with actual sound quality or SPL.