KSW-12 Subwoofer Problems, Blown Sound.

zackdadams

Greetings all. I have owned the KSW12 for a few years now, problem free. Recently while listening farely loudly, but nothing new, the sub started sounding blown. I opened the cabinet, found no blown fuses, and it does not have a burnt smell. Regardless, I ordered and installed a new woofer, thinking this was the problem. The new woofer acts exactly like the original: a blown sound. And suggestions? =/

Thanks, Zack.

Ummm. What does "blown sound" mean. I do appreciate that sounds are sometimes very difficult to describe in writing. My read is that it is working partially but something has changed . . . short of silence.

There is some possibility there is a problem with the source of the signal or the connection. I see the unit has LFE, line level, and speaker level inputs. You might try whatever you're not using presently.

Gil

Very distorted. Muffled. Turning up volume does not increase the subwoofers volume. Turning up the gain on the unit itself does not increase volume. Instead of clean, deep bass, it sounds blown.

I see no parts out of place, no sign or smell of anything burnt.

The receiver it is currently hooked to is very new. I doubt the output signal is bad.

Try connecting the sub direct to your DVD player's audio output using a different audio cable. Does is still sound bad? If so, the sub amp is likely the problem. If the bad sound goes away, then you've got a problem with either the connecting cable or the new receiver.

Would you suggest I look into getting the sub repaired, or is it not worth it? As in, would the amplifier cost half as much as a new sub, etc? Also, are there any specific tests I can try to troubleshoot and track down the problem, via a Multimeter? I'm an electrical contractor, so i'm not scared of getting my hands dirty, especially when it's broken already. =p Thanks.

Umm. This may come across as very flippant. Not my intent.

But all woofers sound muffled when running alone.

Was there a time that you heard it alone, and now listening to alone it is now different?

For example I ran my home made K-Horn bass bin alone and expected to hear something like the bass player sending out those clear involving notes. Like just Paul on his left handed bass without the rest of the Fab Four.

Nope, it sounded muddy.

Are you sure there is a problem?

Others out there in the forum might at least benefit from my observation and confirm by experiment. Try listening to your favorite sub with nothing else in the system turned on. It is astounding that this muffled mud is indeed the stuff which makes our systems sound so good. Hard to believe until you do this experiment.

Gil