Klipsch RF-3 vs RF-7

Jerry22m

The 3's are good,the 7's are great.The 7's are just more of what the 3's are.The 7's have endless potential but require at least a decent prepro and amp,very few avrs will even start to fire em' up.I had 3,5 and 7's,there's really no comparison for balls to the wall although I thought the 3,5's were very nice.

What Fish said. If you have great amplification the 7's will really open up. There have been times where I questioned if the bass was coming from the 7's or the sub. I think the 3's are fantastic speakers as well. They can sound awsome with just decent amplification and processor.

I have and love both!

Fish is correct. I had RF-3's for my mains for a couple of years with a KSW 15 sub (Yes KSW, not RSW) and an Onkyo integrated amp and thought that was pretty sweet.

Then I woke up.

The RF-3's (awsome speakers!!) are now pulling duty as my rear speakers and the KSW-15 (decent sub, not very accurate, boomy) was sold to a friend and replaced with the RSW-15 and got the RF-7's for the main speakers.

Think of the RF-3's as a woman with A cups. Then think of the RF-7's as that same woman after sweater monkey enlargment surgery. Alot more fun and worth every penny!

My receiver is a Pioneer VSX-84TXSi so I should be good to go. Thanks

Maybe. I tried Dean-modded RF-7s with some pretty nice AVR receivers. They were fine for movies, but music sounded like $%^&* at higher volumes. They are demanding speakers and really benefit from separates - and a robust amp.

Maybe you will be fine with a 7.1 receiver that weighs 35 pounds or maybe not. Fish's advice is sound, and at least you can go into the purchase with your eyes open.

Carl.

With my DeanG'd 7's I used to drive them with a 150 wpc amp and a yammy as a pre/pro. I now drive them with 250 wpc amps and the same yammy pre/pro. The difference is amazing. In the begining I drove them with an Onkyo 100 wpc AVR and while they sounded great, I was really leaving something on the table so to speak.

I recently purchased a set of RF7s myself. I'm currently running them on my old Pioneer VSX-5000 (100 wpc) but I can tell they need more. The thing I'm learning as I'm researching what to get to drive them is they have a very low dip in impedance - near 3O. You've got to have an amp that can handle the low impedance and high current demands of the speaker. Total watts don't tell the whole story. Some people have suggested at least 200W, while others have had excellent results with a 75W tube amp. It's the quality of the watts.

I'm looking at an Outlaw 7500 amp. 200W x 5 channels. The amp by itself weighs about 80lbs.

The nice thing about your Pioneer is it has pre-amp out, so you could add an amp later on. Try one out in your home and see how it sounds to you. Companies like Outlaw offer a 30 day money back guarantee that lets you audition the equipment before you decide to keep it or not.

Considering upgrading from my RF-3 to RF-7. What can the RF-7s offer that the RF-3 do not. Early reply sincerely appreciated. Thanks Jerry

More spl obviously given their sensitivity.

Out of boredom this morning I brought one of my RF 3 surrounds up front, left channel and ran it with the 7 on the right side.

The 7's are a little darker in a head to head. The 3 has a little more mid. Timbre matching was allmost on the nuts, as when I shut my eyes I couldn't tell the difference, other than the darkness (less mid) on the right side.

Listened to EC ridin with the King album, as there is some pretty good vocals, instruments to test with.

The 7's are bigger in sound, but that may be symetrical with the cabinet size as well, and the room I am in.

If you like the 3's, you will love the 7's as it is a whole lot more of it.

Enjoy the ride...........