WIRE POSITION NEEDED FOR B&0 SP12 CARTRIDGE

HarryO

HELP!! I WAS SWITCHING CARTRIDGES BETWEEN MY PHILLIPS TT AND MY TECHNICS TT AND I PULLED THE WIRES OFF. I'M GOING TO PUT MY B&O SP12 CARTRIDGE ON MY TECHNICS HEADSHELL AND NOTICED THE DIFFERENCE IN WIRING CONNECTIONS. I HAVE RED, WHITE, BLUE, AND GREEN WIRES ON THE TECHNICS HEADSHELL. I'M NOT SURE HOW THESE GO ON THE B&O SP12 CARTRIDGE. IT IS MARKED:

R GL

L ^ GR

IT HAS 5 PINS. THE UP ARROW ACTUALLY IS A DOWN FACING ARROW ABOVE THE CENTER LOWER PIN.

A BIT OF HELP NEEDED HERE. THIS AIN'T MY FIRST RODEO BUT I'M HAVING BRAIN LOCK. I TRIED BLUE AND GREEN FOR LEFT AND RIGHT AND RED AND WHITE FOR GROUND. NO SOUND. THEY BOTH WORKED FINE BEFORE MY MEDDLING.

THANKS,

HARRYO

1. Calm down, breathe deeply..

2. Make sure caps lock is off on your keyboard. [;)]

3. If you have another cart, substitute it and see if it works. Look at the headshell. Does the headshell remove? You may have a contact problem between the headshell and the arm conections.

4. I had an SP12 many moons ago. IIRC, the fifth pin is connected to the cart body and serves as a shield ground. Mine may, I stress may, have had a strap to connect it to the grounds of one of the channels. Looking at the 5th pin, you should see a little tang of metal bent over it. That tang is part of the cart body.

If what I am saying right, you can let that pin float, i.e. no connection without fear. I think it was only used in B&O turntables.

If none of this helps, contact Jerry Raskins Needle Doctor (they have a website) and see what they say.

The SP12 was the best cart I ever owned. I gave it away afrer B&O stopped making styli for it, yes, they even wrote me a letter to that effect. If I could find a source of styli I might just get mine back and use it on those few occassions I play vinyl now.

Let us know hat you find out!

THANK YOU. I LOST THE GROUND ON THE HEADSHELL CONNECTIONS TO THE ARM ON THE TECHNICS REMOVING THE OLD CARTRIDGE AND HEADSHELL SOMEHOW. THAT HAS NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE. NOW I HAVE TWO TURNTABLES TO REPAIR. THE PHILIPS TT POWER SWITCH FINALLY QUIT AND I NEED TO REPLACE THE 6 VOLT BULBS ON THE TOUCH CONTROLS.

I REINSTALLED THE SP12 INTO MY HALL MMF-7 AND ALL IS WELL.

I LIKE THE SP12. IT IS A VERY GOOD CARTRIDGE THOUGH IT IS VERY HEAVY.

THANKS AGAIN,

HARRYO