in-wall speaker advice and receiver

mmonius

i am putting together an in-wall surround unit. i was thinking of the r-5800-w as right/left, and in ceiling 5800's or 5650's as matching rears, with a 12' sub. maybe the rw-12d.

what should i use as a center channel?

which one or series?

is it possible to get an in-wall center vs a regular one?

i dont see that klipsch makes one specifically for in-wall, so should i just use a third r-5800-w as a center?

also i read alot about yamaha and denon as popular receivers. any prefrences on this?

• 4 weeks later...

i dont see that klipsch makes one specifically for in-wall, so should i just use a third r-5800-w as a center?

Yup, do that, you can put it in horizontally so the horn can pivot up/down, which works very well for center.

Instead of rears in the ceiling, could you use the R5650S surround side speakers? They give a very good effect and mimic the WDST side surrounds pretty well.

• 1 month later...

This is another copy of my first post. I am in the process of working on Home Theatre # 3. I want to go in-walls this time. The field is huge and I've eliminated the competition down to Klipsch. I always loved horns since I was a kid but have been using domed fabric, titanium, aluminum type tweeters for the last 13 years. At the price point of the entire in-wall 8" series (R-5800-W for the L,C,R, R-5650-S for the surrounds, & R-5802 for the left & right subs) can't be beat. This is defintely the way I want to go for 5.1 audio. Attached is a proposal for the front "wall of sound" concept. The surrounds will be placed just behind the listening area on the side walls - not the back wall. Let me know what you guys think.

post-26452-13819333979642_thumb.jpg

• 10 months later...

I'm looking at almost exactly the same setup, except I plan to also put a pair of R-5650-W's on the back wall to make it 7.1. I'm planning to use a Sony STR-DA5300ES for the receiver.

I made paper cutouts of the screen and speaker grills and taped them to the walls, then put chairs about where we expect people to sit. This was useful for checking the angles of the speakerrs (eg L/R at 22-30 degrees recommended by Dolby). I wrote Klipsch technical support about this setup and they recommended that I keep the L/C/R tweeters about the height of the viewer's ears. For this reason I plan to keep the center below the screen instead of above. Also, I plan to install the L/R 5800's upside down (woofer on top). But sitting in my chair and staring at my pretend screen I found that I didn't like looking up at it. So I lowered it as far as possible, and now plan to use an R52 center instead of an R-5800-W center. The screen is immediately above an unused fireplace, so the center will actually recess into the top of the fireplace.

• 1 month later...

Trying not to hijack, but can in-walls give enough SPL in a 13x17.5 foot room? I'd love to preserve floor space and have already wired the walls. I've just heard so many bash in-walls, I'm concerned. Would I give up bass response?

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Klipsch does have THX rated in wall's KL-7800-THX and KL-6502-THX with KS-7800-THX surrounds. You want some spl, how about THX rated spl.

Klipsch ALSO has a new In-Ceiling THX Ultra 2 SURROUND coming called the KS-7502 along with an in-ceiling fully THX Ultra 2 rated main channel setup (the KL-7502). Pricing will be $1000 ea. The design WILL allow for a lot of flexibility. There is also the new THX Select in-walls coming. Step up from the current in walls but not as pricey as the Ultra 2 setup. The models are the KL-6502-THX at $499 ea and the KL-6504-THX MSRP $750. There is also a new Reference In-wall coming...the R-5502 with twin woofers and a center mounted horn at $399 each.