Setting up my Velodyne DD 12 [Mentor Wanted]

zuzu

I'm looking for a daytime volunteer(s) ie mentor, to talk to in setting up this beauty. [ I have unlimited long distance calling ]. Beware, I'm real stupid about all this!!! I have printed out the on line manual and am trying to get up to speed while awaiting delivery of my USED DD 12. ie no dealer to talk to. I listen only to 2 channel music not a home theater system. RF 7 speakers. Audio Research SP 11 pre amp and Rotel RB 990 BX power amp. Never had a subwoofer before.

In a discussion with Blue Jean cables They said the sub is non directional and a Y cable from the pre amp feeding a single interconnect to the sub is the right way to do it. The interconnect feeds the left in on the sub. Is this correct?

I take it you're going to be letting the sub do the crossing over....

Anyway, you could probably get by the way you're going, but if it were me, I'd run the seperate lines from the preamp l/r to the l/r in on the sub. The sub might just short both inputs together the same way that the Y cable would be doing, but I would do the seperates until I found out for sure. I can tell you that their answer that the Y is THE right way is not correct. It is a way to do it. I think running seperates is a better way. Make sure you're using a quality cable(s) to carry the signal from the preamp to the sub.

Thanks. So far I have blue jeans 26' BJC LC ! sub cable. I need to order a second one and a Y cable or just a Y cable. I can send anything back for a full refund. Once I get the sub positioned properly I probably won't need 26' so I'll be exchanging cables anyway. I just have the 26' to put the sub in my listening area and move the mic around.

The way I see it, is to use cabling 2 c AND option 3 on page 9 of the manual. But please understand I'. still VERY much trying to understand the beat way to go given my SP 11 inputs and outputs. Having said that,I don't know what is doing the crossover but it looks like it's crossed at 80Hz for my two RF 7's {in my case these are my satellite speakers, RIGHT?} Clear, take a look at page 9 and tell me what you think.

So how much do you pay for consultation? [;)]

But seriously, is the dealer you purchased the sub from available to help you out?

Btw, if you're using the LR preout from your reciever, then you absolutely do not want to use a Y-Cable. There is no configuration that calls for it. If your sub has a mono input, then you're kinda screwed without purchasing/building an extra device. Though that might be a good excuse to go out and get a proper crossover.

What kinds of inputs and outputs do you have available? Pictures would speak a thousand words. I wrote an article on dialing in a sub by ear that you might find helpful:

http://www.klipschcorner.com/Articles.aspx?guid=feb5d669-1513-426d-a8fc-29f8aa90869f

Thanks Mike. I printed out your article. I bought this Velodyne DD 12 on e-bay ---no dealer. My SP 11 pre amp has two sets of L/R main out. The DD 12 has an RCA LFE input L/R for line-level connection and L/R RCA output connections to incorporate the use of an 80 Hz 6 dB/octave slope high pass crossover. I have a 200watts/channel Rotel power amp and two channel RF 7's for listening to music [jazz/classical] No movies,rock or TV..

First off, I've not used a seperate preamp/amp setup, always receivers all in one. The preamp/amp aspect and having the sub do the crossover is going to make this more complex.

Let's follow the signal through your system. That will be most helpful in cabling it up. Some of this is a guess as I don't know what your preamp operates like.

Source signal, say CD player goes into your preamp, lets say the CD input.

Selecting Tape/Monitor will allow the input signal from the CD go out the Tape Monitor outs L/R to the sub, LFE input L/R RCAs [11 in Figure 2] on the sub.

Now the sub actually plays the bass material off that signal, but it also passes the materail above 80 hz back out RCAs [10 in Figure 2].

Connect RCA leads from connectors 10 L/R on the sub to the Tape Monitor return connectors on your preamp. This signal goes from the preamp over to the power amp and out to the front speakers, it contains minimal information below 80 hz because the sub is playing that part.

Now the sub can play, but we want to connect the calibration lines. Theres a video and a L/R RCA set with test sweeps.

Connect the yellow ended video cable from the kit to sub connector [5 in Figure 2] and then to the back of your tv. You can use Svideo too if the TV doesn't have the RCA type composite connectors. switch the TV to display that signal and you'll see the blue background velodyne display, if the sub is plugged in.

Finally, Connect the L/R RCA test sweep signal to the preamp. Goes from sub connectors [8 in Figure 2] to another input on you preamp like dvd or something. you'll still need to keep tape monitor on when you use the dvd input.

you should be able to play CDs and get the volume set to a reasonable level now.

The next step is to calibrate the sub. the manual will help with that.

Thanks clear.On my preamp, I have a monitor/source toggle and an input selector for phono/tuner/CD/video/spare. The CD is already plugged into that input. I could put the audio cable into tuner/video/ or spare and then select where its plugged in, if I understand you. BTW the sound quality is best if the monitor/source toggle is set to source since a lot of control circuitry is bypassed that way with a bypass/normal toggle set to bypass. Should I still pick the monitor position?

Clear here is more on my pre amp input output cnnectors In addition to the inputs for phono/tuner/CD /video/spare I have two tapes in. For outputs I have the two main power outs, two tape outs and a direct out that bypasses phase inverting circuitry and a phase inverting switch for highest quality signal quality output. The is a inverted signal output also.

Couple of general questions. If you find a best position for a DD 12, would this be the best position for a DD 15 as well? When you adjust the phase/polarity is this just pure trial and error or is there an approach or sequence to doing it? Same question for Q value and contour.