ALK Crossovers

I have a few questions regarding ALK crossovers. First I own a pair of La Scala speakers with AL crossovers, K-77 and K-55-M componets. Are ALK crossovers better than my AL's. Second, after visiting ALK eng, I see three different available ALK's to choose from(Extreme Slope, Universal, and gentle slope) and I'm wonder what's the difference? Third, will they sound as good as the AL's at high volumes? Fourth, are they built maily for tube amps or solid state, or does it matter? And last, are they better than the AA type crossover? Thanks for any input.

Based on my onwership of the ALK extreme slope and ALK universal networks, as well as the Klipsch AL-4, AL-3, AL, AA, etc.

The key point in your questions is the specific inquiry to how they will sound relative to the AL at high volumes...high high of a sound level are we talking?

The gentle slope networks allow for a wider spread between drivers and there is significant overlap, which means the higher the volume level the greater the amount of material that is out of band the specific driver will have to handle. In the case of mid drivers and tweeters....at higher power levels...there is risk as they attempt to handle material below their intended cutoff.

Extreme sloping networks reduce the likelyhood that driver damage will occur by providing for a sharper rolloff with less over lap of out of band material.

Unnecessary reproduction of matreial outside of the drivers intended range provides for a cleaner sound experience.

If you are measuring volumje level by sound pressure instead of watts, the line between high volume and low volume may take on a different meaning.

You may actually be a moderate or low volume user from a power handling requirements perspective.

In terms of which is better for SS or tubes. If you have very low powered SS or tube equipment gentle slope networks are more efficient. The higher sloping networks, due to their design, result in a lower percent of the actual power the crossover recieves from reaching the drivers as a result of subsequent layers of filtering.

I have a few questions regarding ALK

crossovers. First I own a pair of La Scala speakers with AL

crossovers, K-77 and K-55-M componets. Are ALK crossovers better

than my AL's. Second, after visiting ALK eng, I see three

different available ALK's to choose from(Extreme Slope, Universal, and

gentle slope) and I'm wonder what's the difference? Third,

will they sound as good as the AL's at high volumes? Fourth, are

they built maily for tube amps or solid state, or does it

matter? And last, are they better than the AA type

crossover? Thanks for any input.

I

have ALK Universal networks and I had a pair of type ALs. The

Type AL sound so BAD and honky, I could not tolerate them.

I HATE Type ALs. The ALK Universals will sound so much cleaner

and clearer, you will be astounded. The Universals are a very

good compromise between cost, sound quality and driver

protection. I can't imagine you'd damage a tweeter with them, at

any volume.

The gentle slope xovers will

likely sound better, especially on acoustic (natural) music like jazz

or orchestra. If you insist on volumes over 110 dB, It has steep

enough slopes to protect the drivers, but also requires the ES5800

tweeter add-on.

Get the Universals; you'll be happy, espeially compared to what you've been enduring.

I have had the same pair of universal ALK networks on my La Scalas, Belles and now my Khorns. The ALK are superior to any of the original networks in my opinion. The only reaon I don't have ES networks is the cost. Don't have the money for that right now, but would love a set for my Khorns. You cannot go wrong with a set of ALK networks. If you ever want to get rid of them, you will not have a problem selling them here or on eBay. In my case, I also added a set of Bob's CT-125 tweeters, drop in replacement for the K-77's.

Al K is a great guy and will answer all your questions.

I split my universals into low and high sections, thinking that if I upgrade later to a gentle or extreme slope, I can do it a section at a time. So far, I'm very happy with the universals. I've not heard a system using extreme slope crossovers. Maybe when I do, I'll do the upgrade. Here's the low section.

post-14184-1381932960944_thumb.jpg

The AL crossover may well have been the worst network Klipsch ever put in a La Scala.  I had them in my 84 La Scala's.  I bought ALK Kit universal networks and it was literally like lifting a big thick blanket off my squawkers and tweeters.  Much better overall balance and clarity.

I found an immediate improvement to my LS when I removed the ALs from
my LaScalas, and put in some first order xovers designed by John
Albright. He had loaned me his ALK Universals while I built mine (I still have them, btw, and have to return them). I couldn't tell any difference between the his ALKs and the ones I built. I am usually never hitting about 90db, so these work great for me. The plus was that building John's was far cheaper than either building or buying Al's. Al's are meticulously built, the quality is high. I just didn't have the money for them. Dean actually sent me the parts for what I made, since at the time he was building a lot and buying parts in larger quantities.

I couldn't stand the ALs, they sounded pretty bad.

Bruce

I ended up staying in Manila, or more precisely, Makati City. Air quality sucks, but my gf had a lot of business to take care of, and it was reasonably close to every place we had to go. I mostly wanted to spend time with her, so all was cool. She has family on Palawan, but normally stays with an older sister way up on the north side in Caloocan City (next one north of Quezon City).

I had a blast, and given the time and finances, I would return again very soon. The pic is out of my hotel window, 18 floors up, more or less facing north. We had a lot of places on our agenda, but would have required some overnight travels and we just decided not to spend the money.

Bruce

post-7149-1381932961377_thumb.jpg

Armando,

Thanks, she is a really sweet person.

I loved it there, and spending some time with family members was really special for me. The only reason she works in China is that her income is greater than what she could make at home, but you know that. She sends almost all of it back to family. I had the pleasure of standing in line with her at the NSO while she got official copies of her birth certificate and others. Then we stood in line a long time while she got her passport renewed.

Bruce

i understand. will check it tomorrow at work.

lascala1983, i'm sorry about that.

you can't go wrong with the universal crossovers. al klappenberger made a list of ways to save some money in building them (part substitutions), without dropping the quality of performance. i'll see if i can find it.

armando