• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Rob:

You've got a good eye.

If it didn't have a "condition problem" (chip in the rim of the cap) the 1928 yellow (Mandarin) Parker Duofold would be the most valuable pen in my collection.

As to my favorite, I like all of the Parkers (mainly in the center of the photo). The ones I use most often would be the '31 black & pearl Parker Duofold, the '34 red striped Parker Vacumatic, and the '29 jade green Parker Duofold. I also really like the two little ring top '26 blue & grey Parker Lucky Curve pens near the right side of the photo - nice writers.

James

Playing the Bass/live music/bands.

Recording live music and mastering the recordings.

Model railroading (this one re-ignited recently)

Used to be more involved with photography and bicycling. Now its mostly the Excercycle indoors.

Hey TheEAR, great to see your posts again.

Actually, I was thinking about this last night while sitting in front of the woodstove. My earliest hobby was collecting popsicle sticks. When I was 7, I'd walk the streets of Delhi and pick up old popsicles sticks and stash them in bags in my bedroom. One chilly early autumn night, my collection was immolated in the basement fireplace by my parents. Shortly, Christmas arrived with a Lionel O gauge train that led to years of enjoyment until it was ripped off when in storage,in the early 80s. However, I still have my Eldon slot car gear that went through some elaborate scenery setups, was converted to 12 v. and could run the little Revell or Monogram 1/32 slot cars at home. And there was the stamp collecting - with the venerable ancient Mr. Comely introducing me to stamps, then getting the 'on approval' stamp packets from the Gray Stamp Company in Toronto, and Salada Tea also had stamps sometimes (when they didn't have the little porcelain figures). I've still got the original stamp albums. Then the Beatles changed my world and still do. Then in my early 20s, my friend Ron E.got me into the photography with 2 1/4 Rollei and Mamiya TLRS, various 35 mm SLRS, dichroic enlargers, Cibachrome, Ektaprint 2 and colour printing. (Cibachrome was wicked - you could taste the chemicals before you could smell them - they actually had neutralizing tablets before you poured the used liquid down the drain). And from the late 60s on, always the audio gear, which would and still comes and goes although there's a room full of Crowns downstairs somewhere. And bagpipes, which is very much a family matter as my grandfather and greatgrandfather were pipers. As a youth, there were other attractions that didn't mix with piping such as the Beatles, longhair, hitching to Vancouver,PA and lighting systems, so piping became a background fixture. In the early '90s Merv (been gone for awhile) wanted to start a band here in town and sought me out and got me going again. In the years since, I've been to more places and met more people as a result of piping - so thanks to my family and Merv for supporting that pursuit. And then computers - the early music sharing and chatrooms - of which I'm still friends with some of the people who I was fortunate to meet in person, and then the Klipsch forum as a window into the lives of others - ups and downs - comings and goings. And to where I am now - proud to be associated with such a diverse and sensitive group with a common interest. Thanks Klipsch for inviting us in. Slainte. Hamish

With 3 young boys running around the house, I don't have time for any other hobbies! Luckily, this is one they like as well. I don't know how many times we've watched Ice Age and Finding Nemo on our system! Oh ya, and Cars. They have convinced themselves those are teh only 3 movies we own!

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd bring this thread back to the fore.

Here's a shot of my 1933 Franklin Olympic Convertible Coupe taken at the Silverado Concours a few years ago.

Franklins were built in Syracuse NY from 1902 through 1934. They all had air-cooled, overhead valve engines from the begining. My car weighs 3,500 lbs & has a 274 ci straight six putting out 100 hp at 3,100(!) rpm - so it'll get up and dance - I know for a fact that it'll do 85 mph.[;)] Same size engine as my 928 although it gives away a little bit on hp.

James

post-16040-13819436273568_thumb.jpg

I was thinking about buying a fountain pen, do you guys have any suggestions

If you're looking for a new pen, I really like the Namiki/Pilot "Vanishing Point" series. It's a retractable fountain pen. The mechanism works kinda like a ball point, so there's no separate cap to worry about.

http://www.namiki.com/collections/pilotVanishingPoint_RA.php

Pilot also has the "Varsity" line of inexpensive disposable fountain pens if you just want to "get your feet wet."

James

Thought I'd bring this thread back to the fore.

Here's a shot of my 1933 Franklin Olympic Convertible Coupe taken at the Silverado Concours a few years ago.

Franklins were built in Syracuse NY from 1902 through 1934. They all had air-cooled, overhead valve engines from the begining. My car weighs 3,500 lbs & has a 274 ci straight six putting out 100 hp at 3,100(!) rpm - so it'll get up and dance - I know for a fact that it'll do 85 mph.Wink Same size engine as my 928 although it gives away a little bit on hp.

James

Beautifil, simply beautiful car!! So, you have an air-cooled Franklin and a water cooled Porsche... that's what I call 'cutting edge!' Enjoy!!

Rob

I've been known to do a bit of motorcycle touring as a hobby,and my preference is a 1983 60th Anniversary BMW R100RT. This pic of my bike was taken by a friend after I did an all-night run from Fort Smith, AR to Deal's Gap, NC...just 760 miles in eleven hours...no big deal!

post-9310-13819436449366_thumb.jpg