For Sale: Nosvalves VRD Monoblocks

LeeW

Absolutely wrong the switch has nothing to do with it! strapping in triode is strapping in triode. By the way Anarchist your little Dynaco slam is not going un-noticed...

I suggest you are confused or eager to find a reason to be defensive when there is none.

My point is not the switch. The point is there is more to optimizing a triode circuit and such an implementation precludes or severly hinders your ability to switch on demand between triode and UL. It is more complex than disconnecting the UL taps and sticking in the resistor which is what most implementations (whether using a switch or not) are doing.

As far as a Dynaco slam, I don't know what you are talking about. I have Dynacos and enjoy them. Any slam you perceive is your own doing not mine.

[bs]

I am not sure what your response applies to but if you think it is my statement about triode (I have no interest in your accusations about attacks) perhaps you can explain how you deal with the Miller effect and global negative feedback in the simple switched circuit I described.

Otherwise, I have no further need to comment or participate in the discussion and will simply wait for Lee's review.

More coaching going on!!

More coaching going on!!

Exactly what I was thinking! I just love these casual asides "Anarchist" drops in like the "Miller effect" and

An optimized triode implementation involves making some additional

changes beyond merely disconnecting the UL taps and sticking a resistor

between pins 3 and 4 on the output tubes.

Too funny!

More coaching going on!!

Actually, if "more coaching" were going on, Craig would be able to respond to my question. Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Exactly what I was thinking! I just love these casual asides "Anarchist" drops in like the "Miller effect" and

An optimized triode implementation involves making some additional

changes beyond merely disconnecting the UL taps and sticking a resistor

between pins 3 and 4 on the output tubes.

Too funny!

Now you, Parrot, I have no issue with ***** slapping. But I am in a good mood and have no interest in facilitating Craig's paranoia and your deception.

Its real simple for those who can read... I have Dynaco's, I research. If you two did the same, you might notice the information isn't exactly hidden from public view and it doesn't take much in the matter of brain cells to learn any of this stuff... swapping a Dynaco into an unoptimized triode mode or upgrading the power supply is kids stuff. Hundreds if not thousands of people have done it with no previous experience. For those looking into rising above that, the Miller effect and global NFB come into play and should be considered.

I will leave you two to your high-fiving, back-slapping, frat boy routine. I am sure your other supporters will want to join in the fray and loft more accusations without merit.

More coaching going on!!

An optimized triode implementation involves making some additional changes beyond merely disconnecting the UL taps and sticking a resistor between pins 3 and 4 on the output tubes.

Too funny!

Now you, Parrot, I have no issue with ***** slapping. But I am in a good mood and have no interest in facilitating Craig's paranoia and your deception.

Its real simple for those who can read... I have Dynaco's, I research. If you two did the same, you might notice the information isn't exactly hidden from public view and it doesn't take much in the matter of brain cells to learn any of this stuff... swapping a Dynaco into an unoptimized triode mode or upgrading the power supply is kids stuff. Hundreds if not thousands of people have done it with no previous experience. For those looking into rising above that, the Miller effect and global NFB come into play and should be considered.

I will leave you two to your high-fiving, back-slapping, frat boy routine. I am sure your other supporters will want to join in the fray and loft more accusations without merit.

Blah Blah blah...............

Another tid bit correction. "Dynaco the company" had zero to do with Ultra Linear it was designed before the company was even in existence 1951 is the date of the article I posted. I'm pretty sure Hafler/Kereos still owned Acrosound at that time which kind of went belly up. Dynaco didn't open its doors until 1954 or 55. Acrosound was the company that introduced the first Ultra Linear transformers and circuits. Hafler split ways with his partner Herb Keroes and opened Dynaco. From what I understand they had a despute about the Kit amplfier business. Probably Herb didn't like the questionable performance the eventual dyna kits were going to produce would be my guess.

Craig

• Moderators

Craig - LMAO!

I've never seen used VRDs sell for over $2K although they're certainly worth it and more. Heck, a new pair is WAY underpriced compared to other amps on the market. I must admit those look great, especially compared to a couple used pairs I've seen sell for $1600-$1800.

I can't wait to hear reviews of pCATs, especially from previous VRD owners! I think we'll end up with a lot of reviewers saying one isn't better than the other......just different.

I bought mine "used" but it is hard for me to say anything about the price because I got the deal of the century. Mine were not even broken in yet when I got them. However, they did not come with the NosValves screwdriver so you have to deduct for that. (Thats a semi-private joke between the seller and I)

What impressed me the most about them is that Craig, true to his form, treated me like I was the original owner when it came to questions, upgrades, etc.

Travis

Craig - LMAO!

I've never seen used VRDs sell for over $2K although they're certainly worth it and more. Heck, a new pair is WAY underpriced compared to other amps on the market. I must admit those look great, especially compared to a couple used pairs I've seen sell for $1600-$1800.

I can't wait to hear reviews of pCATs, especially from previous VRD owners! I think we'll end up with a lot of reviewers saying one isn't better than the other......just different.

I bought mine "used" but it is hard for me to say anything about the price because I got the deal of the century. Mine were not even broken in yet when I got them. However, they did not come with the NosValves screwdriver so you have to deduct for that. (Thats a semi-private joke between the seller and I)

What impressed me the most about them is that Craig, true to his form, treated me like I was the original owner when it came to questions, upgrades, etc.

Travis

He is just as dedicated to support of vintage equipment he has rebuilt.

I want to chime in and say that both Craig AND Mark are fine and rare examples of vendors in this audio world where we all share this passion. I am the beneficiary of TWO deals of the century for used components made by these two craftsmen. The VRDs I bought on the forum had a short stay with Craig, who for a small nominal charge went through them and brought them back to new spec. The BBX w/cream I recently purchased from a forum member has a couple of noise issues which Mark openly volunteered to repair FOR FREE. The BBX is used, THIRD HAND no less, and Mark knows I bought it for about half price of new. How's that for dedicated service to your product line and its customers? Without even asking, shipping is also being covered by the seller, one of our forum members. This also speaks volumes about the character of I dare say the vast majority of us Klipsch devotees.

I hope both of these men have long and rewarding careers of producing audio components that enhance our daily existence through the enjoyment of music. Sometimes we need to step beyond the spec sheets and arguing over the various amplification topologies and remember why we're really in this hobby. Relax and listen to some good music today. [Y]

Darrell

I want to chime in and say that both Craig AND Mark are fine and rare examples of vendors in this audio world where we all share this passion. I am the beneficiary of TWO deals of the century for used components made by these two craftsmen. The VRDs I bought on the forum had a short stay with Craig, who for a small nominal charge went through them and brought them back to new spec. The BBX w/cream I recently purchased from a forum member has a couple of noise issues which Mark openly volunteered to repair FOR FREE. The BBX is used, THIRD HAND no less, and Mark knows I bought it for about half price of new. How's that for dedicated service to your product line and its customers? Without even asking, shipping is also being covered by the seller, one of our forum members. This also speaks volumes about the character of I dare say the vast majority of us Klipsch devotees.

I hope both of these men have long and rewarding careers of producing audio components that enhance our daily existence through the enjoyment of music. Sometimes we need to step beyond the spec sheets and arguing over the various amplification topologies and remember why we're really in this hobby. Relax and listen to some good music today. [Y]

Darrell

What he said. [Y] I could not have articulated it any better.

• Moderators

Well now that I got this thread back on track, I think I will go listen to some music. (JK)

Have you sold your VRD's? Are you going to hang onto them until you have the side by side in Houston? If so, please let me know when that is going to be I would love to come down for a listen and check out the exhibit of art on loan from the Met while I am down there. Only down side is No. 1 will want to shop at Gallaria while I am listening to music.

Travis