K-55-M vs K-55-V

lascala1983

Good luck on this one.

I have the M's, the V's with the solder post, the V's with the push pull terminals, V's with thicker magnets, V's with regular magnets, V's with the cup, V's with out the cup and reguardless of which xover I use, AA, AL, AL-3, AL-4, ALK universal, ALK ES, and reguardless of which horn, K-600, K-700, K-500, K-400 (metal and plastic), 511's, 811's, I can't tell any difference other than a slight volume change. I have tried them with the flat conductor lead diaphram as well as the round braided conductor lead diaphram.

Not to say that what other hear is not valid, I just can't tell any difference.

Now I have tried JBL, Altec and ACR/Fostex drivers and found a significant difference. It may be that my frame of expectation is bias to what I heard after trying the JBL's, Altec, and ACR/Fostex drivers.

Agree with Lascala1983.

The pretty ones! Use the pretty ones that look new!! ........ Just kidding, but that's what my wife said....

You could also make sure that regardless of whatever you "like", the 1" "driver to horn" gasket is not dried out. If it is and the horn does not seat against it, it can "leak" and "color" (pun intended) your evaluation.

I can't tell any difference other than a slight volume change.

Across the board volume change?

LaScala - There's a difference between the Soldered K-55-V and the push-pin type. Push-pin being inferior. I'd take the k-55-M over this one for sure as well. Mike ran some tests of the Soldered V vs. M and you can see what it looks like here on page one. http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/735904.aspx (sorry for the non-active link, but it's worth the effort to copy/paste). I had similar results. While some would say a more level, extended type is better, I disagree. At least for me. I 'want' a bit of a roll off at the end of the squawker's rope where the tweeter comes in as I've been fighting harshness for a year. My harshness was at the 6k area where the tweeter comes in. In MY case, the K-55-V was hotter at the end and coupled with a type of crossover that handled the tweeter introduction the way it did - produced something like a doubling of frequencies at that area due to both horns being ramped up there. I think too much overlap is a BAD thing. For ME, this causes distortion and/or hotness at this area which was highly annoying which I could only fix by buying a digital EQ to nuke this 6k area down about 7-8db which is extreme! Switching from the V to the M nuked this area down a few db. Switching to an AK-3 crossover also nuked it down a few db also due to the different way it brought in the tweeter. The combo of M and this crossover allowed for a 'proper' (for me) level at the 6k area to allow me to eliminate use of my Dig EQ. I can't tell you what a huge deal this was for us.

For sure I would never run a K-55-V with an AA crossover with the AA's stupid tweeter bump at around 6k. I really believe that those that complain about harshness could benefit from the right driver & crossover combo in their situation and that the klipschorn being pegged at other forums as being 'harsh, bright, piercing' is rather an unfair blanket statement.

Course, if one doesn't experience these 'piercy' issues like I have, I guess the issue is rather moot.... But to my ears, the type of driver is important and I feel it's important to match that driver to the proper crossover for it. I think the combo of this is critical. At least in my little world.

meagain

"Across the board volume change?  "

Across the board for the operating range as defined by the crossover.

I have three sets of these, had 4 sets at one point, same results with all of them.

I'll probally be selling these soon if there is anyone seeking the k-55-M's send me an email.

I have a very non technical point of view, but wanted to toss in that I like the sound of the AA network. The only comparison I have is vs. the AL, which as most say, is terrible. I've found the AA to be pleasing to my ears and not harsh at all. I'm not at all saying there aren't better sounding networks, but I think several of us on the board like the sound of the AA.

Jeff

For the brave experimenter looking for some midrange options....

Get a couple of Selenium D250X ($37.50 each) and an 8 ohm/ 10 watt resistor ($1.38 each) from partsexpress.com. Wire the resistor in the positive lead to the D-250; unscrew the 55, screw on the D-250, hook them up and see what you think. It works best with Bob Crites' CT-125 tweeter and the crossover modified to cut at 4500 Hz. I just got the resistors today and put this experimental setup in my LS's with Bob's A/4500 and CT's, and it sounds very, very good. Very impressed. Note: The 250 is a "hot" driver and needs the resistor.

Speakerfritz - I'd probably be interested in them, but not yet. I'm using my 2nd pair of Khorns as rears till I get this house redone where they'll be used for 2-channel on their own elsewhere in the house.

Groomlakearea51 - What are these parts supposed to do? IDK what their function is. How exactly does it sound different?

Groomlakearea51 - What are these parts supposed to do? IDK what their function is. How exactly does it sound different?

I first heard the DX on a Cornwall or LaScala horn at Bob Crites' shop in December. He's doing some testing and experiments. It sounded very good, and to me, as clear and "full" as the 55's. Bob explained that the DX has the necessary frequency response, but would require an attenuator for use in K'horns, etc. The best person to describe it's properties, and the ways it could be used would be Bob Crites. I took "notes" for how I might use it for my K'horns and LaScala's and also for Heresy's. Last week, I obtained 2 of them and started experimenting on K's and L's....

By itself, with no crossover mods to the Bob Crites A/AA crossovers in the Klipschorns and LaScalas, and only with the required attenuator attached, it sounds quite "clear". I tested them first in the LaScala's. Bright, but less "tinny" than the 55's at the top end. With Bob Crites CT-125, however, because the CT-125 has a wider range, the effect was a very bright mid & highs, but maybe still a little strong. I put in the Bob Crites' A/4500 crossover's with the DX's and the CT-125's, and the result is now very balanced, more defined vocals, etc. That being said, I moved the crossover, the DX's and the CT's to a pair of KC-BB's with Bob's CT-1526 woofers (one of the old, old, K-33's had finally "retired"...). The combination is still very, very clear; coupled with the good bass from Bob's woofers, there seems to be more "stage presence", "depth of field". Almost easier to isolate the performers. I compared this to a pair of KB's with the type AK3 crossovers, and very similar. It's sorta' apples vs oranges, and I like both.

Not being the tech person I'd like to be (I read the forum everyday, read everything I can get my hands on, and eventually I'll understand more), the crossover has alot to do with it. The DX really rolls off fast. The A/4500 takes advantage of that when coupled with the CT-125 tweeter. I describe it as a poor man's extreme slope... It's not perhaps necessary, but per Bob, the DX works really well to a certain point, and the CT-125 has a lower frequency response than the K-77.

Caveat:

Everyone's ears hear things differently than everyone else to some degree. It might be great for me, but not for someone else. My volume levels are generally not that high. And I listen to alot of classical music. My rooms are "crowded", and I've got kids running all over the house, my wife does not like really loud music, etc. So..... I can only give an opinion on what I've found, and under the conditions I've used them. But..... For the price, it may well be worth the experiment to many folks.

Next project is a pair of HBB's that need to be rebuilt.... Bob's CT-125's, Selenium DX's and a pair of new K-24's; with E/4500 crossovers from Bob. That "project" will also involve testing a rear panel with a passive radiator, acoustic baffling, etc. Sort of a work in progress. If it does not pan out, I'll just put the 77's, 55's and standard E crossover back in, standard rear panel, make my notes and drive on...

By now, Marshall probably has more time in listening to the Selenium D-250X that I have.  I think it is a possible option to use in some of the Klipsch designs as long as you can cross over to the tweeter at around 4500 hz.  The output of the D-250X is falling off pretty good after about 4 khz.  On a K-400/401 horn, it can go down to around 400 hz but it might be happier crossed at 500 to 600 hz.  That means that it is probably more appropriate to a Cornwall or Heresy type speaker than a Khorn or Lascala.

The D-250X has a very similar diaphragm (2 inch phenolic) to the K-55 drivers and I think the sound is pretty much the same inside its "good" frequency range.  Probably the only advantage it has over the K-55 is the fact that it is lots less expensive.

Bob Crites