Klipsch Belles

Appleskinner

I have an opportunity to pick up a pair of Klipsch Belles in dark walnut with black grills. They include the original boxes and are in pristine condition. Any idea what these are worth? They have consecutive serial #s 8739799 & 8739800 (I'm assuming they are 87s). Is $1000 a fair price?

1000 is a good price.

Local pick up works best...ensures no damage and avoids issues.

if they are in the NE area and you elec to pass, let me know.

The speakers are local and I am locked in if I want them. I have been on the hunt for a pair of LaScalas with very little luck...the waiting appears to have finally paid off. Can anyone confirm the years based on the SN? Also, are there any recommended tweaks for the Belles? I don't see a lot of discussion on the Belles compared to the other models.

Appleskinner:

Your assumption is correct..They are 87's.

Buy the Belles esp at that price. Listen to them for awhile and then do some tweaks. My '87 Belles had the AB crossovers and I upgraded to a pair of Bob Crites's A/AA. That has been my only tweak thus far.

JJ

The reason you don't see more about Belles is that they are the rarest of Klipsch Heritage speakers. They were made in limited quantity because they cost considerably more than a LaScala (I think about twice the price if I remember correctly). Many folks think they are the most attractive Klipsch speaker ever made--even folks who don't care about audio will compliment their appearance. If they are in half the condition you say they are you lucked out big time!

Best in horns,

triceratops

Yes Run and get them. I had a set of LaScals's and the wife hated the way they looked, they were black so that did not help, sold them and bought Belle's. She helped unload them and move them in the house. I had to wait for her to clean and polish them before I could hook them up for a listen. They do have a different sound due to the length of the mid horn and the bass section. It would be nice to be able to A/B the 2 models in the same setting so that the differences could be defined.

Just remember they are not PLANT STANDS they are some of the finest loud speakers on the planet. Later Bill

Local in Alaska for 1000 usd is a fine deal. True the horn is not a LaScala horn but you will have an excellent performaing "base" to begin from.

New networks are a good first step. My Belles needed new caps and are 10 years older than the pair you are considering. Buy them and listen for 3-4 months before foolong around with them. If you mod too quickly it diminishes the perception of the change.

Good Luck.

Many folks think they are the most attractive Klipsch speaker ever made--even folks who don't care about audio will compliment their appearance.

Many folks think they are the most attractive speaker ever made by anyone.

In Alaska, you'd be doing all right paying $1000 each.

Many folks think they are the most attractive Klipsch speaker ever made--even folks who don't care about audio will compliment their appearance.

Many folks think they are the most attractive speaker ever made by anyone.

In Alaska, you'd be doing all right paying $1000 each.

The best part is, the Belle will work NICELY if he ever wants to set a K402 on top!!! I'm surprised you haven't mentioned that yet.

[*-)]

I am of course a Belle Klipsch owner, and I agree with the general sentiment: Buy now, and believe us later[:D] It is a small difference sonically from a LaScala (500 hz mid horn in a Belle vs. the 400 hz mid horn in the LaScala). Doubtful that one could tell 'em apart. And the beauty of the Belle Klipsch make them much more desirable, IMO. I "settled" for the Belle Klipsch when I determined that I had no place for Klipschorns, and am most pleased with them.

There are LOTS of upgrades available for these.....networks, midrange horn, even drivers. For now, I would suggest listening to them pretty much as is, save for checking out what is there for a basic network. A capacitor updating is usually in order for a 20 year old pair of speakers, but usually that's about all a good working pair of used Belles would need.

When I bought my Belles, I searched the forum for all of the info I could absorb and I stumbled upon A Nectar's advice to listen to the Belles "as is" for awhile, to be able to appreciate any upgrades better. It's good advice and I've logged a hundred or so listening hours now with this McIntosh MA5100. I'm loving the fully horn loaded sound as opposed to the direct radiating sound of the Cornwalls. Not better, different. I'll do something with these AA crossovers first. After I receive the NOS Valves amp I've ordered and spend another couple of hundred hours listening "as is", I'll determine what direction to take with the crossovers, Dean, ALK, or BEC. Decisions decisions........