KG4 crossovers

fiddlefye

A further note on my KG4's. I've tried them with a number of amps from tube to a Marantz 4300 receiver and in no case could I acheive anything like a reasonable tonal balance. The closest I've come was with the Marantz bass all the way up and the treble backed off. Even then there is almost no lower bass at all. Any thoughts? Is there something dramatically wrong with my speakers? I just acquired them and so I've no idea about anything which might be wrong with them, though all four drivers are working (if producing what to my ears sounds like mid-range mud mostly) and the horns sound great, just waaaaaaay too strong relative to the bottom.

• 1 month later...

I just hooked up a pair of KG4s that I recently acquired and I had the same problem and I have talked with a few others who have had similar findings. I'm now trying to decide if I want to use the horns from the KG4's and build a new set of cabinets. Possibly a center channel but I think that some cabinets with a couple of nice 6's either sealed or some small ports to give it some warmth would be good. The KG4's had nothing in the mid to low end. I'm planning on upgrading the crossovers also. I did hear that that makes a huge difference.......and by huge I mean mammoth. Hope this helps you out.

I just hooked up a pair of KG4s that I recently acquired and I had the same problem and I have talked with a few others who have had similar findings. I'm now trying to decide if I want to use the horns from the KG4's and build a new set of cabinets. Possibly a center channel but I think that some cabinets with a couple of nice 6's either sealed or some small ports to give it some warmth would be good. The KG4's had nothing in the mid to low end. I'm planning on upgrading the crossovers also. I did hear that that makes a huge difference.......and by huge I mean mammoth. Hope this helps you out.

I've owned two pairs of KG4's over the years. I was very impressed with low and mid bass. I've progressed up the line owning one set of forte's, one set of chorus and now the La Scala's. I feel the KG4's dramitically beat all these other speakers when it comes to bass. However with all the speakers I own or owned, placement meant everything. I found the corners to be the best. Also on carpet the bass seemed to be a lot stronger than on tile. If the room is to large, the bass also seems to get lost. If you have the right placement, in the right size room the KG4's have amazing bass (at times sounding better than my 12" velodyne subwoofer which was $599). I've never owned an expensive receiver either, what I had was a Harman Kardon 120 watts per channel. Last my crossovers were stock. Hope this helps.

Are you absolutely sure that none of the 8" drivers are blown? When I bought my set a few years ago, one kg4 sounded different from the other,

and found a dead 8 incher. However, it still had decent sound, and never had any issues with bass, even with flat tone controls. Placement will

make a huge difference - and will sound terrible with certain rooms and flooring, etc. Hope you get it worked out as these are good speakers!