FS NOS Valves 299b SOLD

joshnich

I have way too much equipment and in the process of pairing it down. This is a great integrated amp with the full NOS Valves rebuild. Here is a copy of his invoice

Josh Nichol Scott 299B rebuild 09/09/2006

1- 4amp @ 800V bridge rectifier 4.89

3- 50/50uF @ 500V multi section cans 44.85

3- 50uF @ 50V Sprague Atom Electrolytic 13.50

1- 10uF @ 350V " " " 4.50

6- .15uF @ 600V Sonicaps 38.40

2- .1uF @ 600V Sonicaps 10.70

4 - .033uF @ 400V Mil Spec Film and Foils 17.00

4- .022uF @ 630V DC Film Caps 5.96

2- .01uF @ 630V DC Film Caps 2.58

2- .047uF @ 400V Mil Spec Film and Foils 8.00

8 - 100K @ 1 Watt plate resistors 8.00

2 - 3.3 Ohm @ 1 Watt 2.00

1 - 33 Ohm 2 Watt 2.00

6- 1.5k ½ watt 3.00

1- 6.8k ½ watt .50

4 - 10 Ohm 3 Watt 1% Vishay Dale resistors 10.36

4 - Bias test points 5.16

2- 10k Bias adjustment pots 6.58

2- Used NOS Telefunken 6BL8 tubes 30.00

Shop supplies (Caig DeoXit, Solder screws and Misc) 7.50

Parts Total 225.48

Basic Rebuild Labor 125.00

3 can install 25.00

Bias Mod Install 25.00

Return shipping 29.00

Total 429.48

I will sell for 500 plus shipping.

The walnut case is included but the case is damaged.

Josh

post-12293-13819329669564_thumb.jpg

A few more items including

Nos Valves Scott 299d $500.00

Fisher 500c this unit is perfect cosmetically (minus a few knob tops that I have replacements for) it works but should more than likely be updated $250.00

JBL L100s $350.00

Dynaco A 25 xl speakers $225.00

And some more stuff that I have to look at.

I will post some photos or more than likely post a link to a photo server with everything.

Josh

Who gives a rats a$$ about the chunk of wood. That's a killer deal. You just can't get sound that good from anything else in the price range. Period!

The 299b was my first tube amp and I'll probably never sell mine. It's also perfect if you want to hook up a sub since it has an unpowered center channel output.

Eventually, they'll become more difficult to find in that condition and prices will go up. It's inevitable. Clean originals (unmodified) have already doubled or tripled in price since I bought mine in 2003.

Who gives a rats a$$ about the chunk of wood. That's a killer deal. You just can't get sound that good from anything else in the price range. Period!

The 299b was my first tube amp and I'll probably never sell mine. It's also perfect if you want to hook up a sub since it has an unpowered center channel output.

Eventually, they'll become more difficult to find in that condition and prices will go up. It's inevitable. Clean originals (unmodified) have already doubled or tripled in price since I bought mine in 2003.

I agree with Gary 110% on everything he mentioned above.

My 299c ran "naked" for awhile until I bought a nice walnut one from forum a member (Arf??) It is a Walnut case that fits over the top. No screws, easy access for biasing and tube rolling.

JJ

Glad it sold.

That chunk out of the cabinet still makes me sick today. Shipped it to Josh wrapped in plastic, large bubble wrap. Double boxed. He gets it and it is missing the chunk of wood. How could the piece of wood disappear from the package? The only explanation I can think of is someone from UPS opened and inspected the box. While inspecting it they damaged it. It bothers me that someone can open packages at these shipping companies.

I've had a similar problem at Valentines day when I sent my mother flowers and candy...someone opened the candy box and ate three pieces[+o(]! This was FedEx.

The third problem I have had is with FedEx loosing my McIntosh MA-6100. They say bad things happen in three's. Maybe it is safe to ship stuff again[*-)].

I must say first that I committed to buying the 299b. Josh offered to ship the equipment to me prior to payment! A testament to the members of this forum!

I must also say that the postings by members of the forum regarding the 299b helped me decide real quick. Usually I have to research something for a few hours to find out it is a good deal, by then it is sold.

I have been wanting to try some tube gear with my Klipsch speakers for a long time. I have owned Klipsch La Scalas for about 20 years. I recently bought a pair of Klipschorns, and got back into wanting to hear various audio gear. I currently use a Mcintosh MA5100 integrated amp, an Onix cd5, and resuscitating a Thorens TD 146 turntable. The Thorens still needs a proper cartridge if anyone has any suggetsions.

Hopefully the shipping company will not play "toss about" with the package.

Thanks to Josh for the extremely easy transaction!

Cheers!

-Joe

Talk to me Josh...

Which is more desirable, the B or D? I see more of you guys with the B. I also know it now as a unit that we threw away ( I know, I know) after my Dad's office close decades ago. It had been at his old office and he brought it home with a Bogen tuner and some Utah speakers. I was more interested in the Utah speakers at the age of 16.

I'm thinking that I don't need huge amount of power for the Khorns. I know that Woodog uses Scott power for his and it seems ample. An integrated amp would probably be the right system architecture for me. I will probably be using a turntable so the RIAA input for that would be helpful.

And I don't to spend bucketloads of money for this first endeavor....

Michael

The 299 d has sold as well. Sorry! In regards to your question, I happen to like the 299d. But it's not an overwhelming preference and it's hard to put into words why I prefer it. It may just be the tubes set. So If you find a d or a b at a good price go for it. They are hard to beat for an affordable intro to tubes.

Josh