Building a La Scala center channel?

Am I crazy for thinking about doing this. I would like to take a la scala midrange horn(with k-55-V), K-77 tweeter and an AA crossover and create a center channel for my system. Would this even work considering I would have no woofer connected? Mounting the mid horn, tweeter and crossover isn't an issue, just wondering if it would work. If I have to mis-match componets, would it work if I use the K-77 and K-55-V and crossover out of different speakers (example la scala AA crossover, cornwall mid horn with k-55-v and heresy k-77)? Has anyone tried this?

My 2 cents - It will work.

How will it sound? I would not like it. There is a 'huge' amount of center channel stuff below 700hz (Don't yell at me - I know the stated bottom of the FR for the midrange - I am talking about where the crossover starts 'melding' the LF with the HF). Until you get to a much lower frequency some of this bass is directional. That means you would be missing quite a bit of intended effect and if you did a side by side you would probably think the wooferless solution was weak and probably 'tinny'. While a subwoofer would give you some relief it would not, usually, help you on the higher LF.

Again - IMHO - I have listened to similar set ups in the midst of building a speaker (usually when testing crossover work) and it just isn't a complete sound.

The La Scala was developed by PWK during the Rockefellar governor candidacy as a PA speaker system to "Project Voices" which makes it an ideal center channel in my book. However, without the woofer in the mix it would be horrible!

I think you can buy a used one cheaper than you can build one though, I got mine for $300 but upgraded the network, wiring, spade lugs, and horn lens.

Frzninvt, did you miss the fact that the center "LaScala" will not have a woofer? If I read the initial post correctly, the plan would be to use only the squawker and tweeter, no woof. Without the woofer, everything below 400Hz would be missing. That would be a very thin sounding center. 400Hz and higher would only capture the very high end of most alto singers and about half the range of a soprano singer. Male singing voices would be lost.

A good frend of mine has built a center using only a K-401 and an EV tweeter. No woofer.

The reason is that his set up has a height problem. Maybe that is your concern.

It works but to my ear the center is a bit shrill for lack bass.

I didn't want to tell him what to do.

If I had the height issue like that, I would put in an eight inch on either side, or maybe even four six inchers, probably the highest electrical efficency that would fit. Yeah, I know this sort of thing is not the best for the pattern.

For those concerned with modulation distortion. The bass units could be run a few dB down from the horns. Somewhere in the DfH or Klipsch papers there is mention by PWK of his original Heresy center. He ran the horns balanced to match the flanking K-Horns. Naturally the sealed bass unit was about 6 or 8 dB down but probably filled in enough. the reduced output cut down on modulation distortion.

I would look to determine the very highest freq at which a "small" center can be set. Some go up to 90 Hz or 120 Hz. it would be possible to optimize the design of the bass units to meet that and reduce modulation distortion. Of couse this requires quite a bit of design by you.

Gil

The best implementation of a LS split top section goes to JMalotkey in Wis. He created a custom upside 'wedge' styled box for the LS horns (it looks like someone tossed it partially through the ceiling. Then he has double Heresy bins with no horns below the screen for the low end. It's amazing and works well with his Khorns and surround Heresies.

What you really need is to get your center speaker to efficiently get 10hz below your sub setting which is usually set to 80hz. 80hz is where source material is usually set to and a good point where bass becomes mostly omni directional where you can't easily sense the source. For large heritage, you want your bass setup to work around the 100db efficiency.

You can easily fill 70-400 hz with a pair of 8, 10 or 12" woofers.

Thanks for the kudos Mike. I do have some pictures of my center on the forum. Here is a link for reference. http://forums.klipsch.com/photos/the_klipsch_gallery/tags/j-malokty_2700_s+Heritage+HT/default.aspx

JM