Audio Research SP 11 pre amp problem

zuzu

My right speaker wasn't playing. The left speaker was playing fine.I switched the CD input cables into the pre amp and both speakers played fine. Switched the input cables back to the original correct input and guess what??? Both speakers are now playing fine!!! What is going on in my pre amp. BTW, before I did the previous, I changed all the interconnects and the right speaker still would not play ie it's not the interconnect cables. Hmmm. This is a tube pre amp.

I've seen this numerous times before.

In the cases I've been involded with.....there is a connection point for the center lead of the RCA plug that rely's on a a contact area, that over time, gets bent in such a way that the distance from the RCA cable center pin, and the connection points increases. The result, is that the connection works with cables that have a longer effective center pin on the RCA plug to reach the contact. Sometimes just pushing the cable in works.