HELP ,,I am new at this,,,Bought my First Pair of Klipsch Chorus 1's

Hello, forum I just bought my first pair of Klipsch Speakers off Ebay a couple weeks ago. They are Chorus 1's and in very nice shape, one tweeder was not working but they are in the shop now. I spoke with Mr. Crites and he is getting me back in bussiness. My next delima is power,,,,I have read ,read and read. I have come to realze this is a matter of personal choice. I hooked these speakers up to an Onkyo reciver 70x70 and they sound great to me,, but I am a novice. So what do I know. All I read is ' Horns and Tubes,,,Horns and Tubes,,,Horns and Tubes. I have never owned a tube amp,,,,, But I want to have a system I can enjoy at low to mid volume and hear every detail,,,,I listen to country and Jazz , Blues, No Hard Rock and No Rap. The question is WHAT DO I NEED ? I have been looking at Jolida Tube amps for the nice price and good reviews, the 302 and 502 remote models? and a jolida vacum tube CD player ? I have also been looking into the new digital amps ? any thoughts. I am looking to spend 2 grand or less. Are those big carver amps out out of the question ? m550t ? or they too much power ? I am not looking to blow the roof off, ,,,,I want realist reprodution that takes you breath away. Thank you for all of your help, John Fugate fugatefirearms.com I know about guns,,,learning about music.

Welcome to the Forum. I and I am sure that many others around here would recommend a rebuilt vintage Scott integrated as a first step. Call Craig over at NOSValves.com and he'll give you some good advice whichever path you take.

I am sure others will chime in as well. Enjoy the music.

I agree with the others, don't buy anything yet. Listen to the speakers for a while (several months) before you buy anything. In the meantime, do some research (this forum is a great place to look) and try to figure out what you really want before you go out and spend two grand. See if you can listen to other peoples systems that may live near you (and fill out your profile so we know what area you live in).

Hi John, and another hearty welcome to the madness. I went through the same learning pattern as you. I started with Heresy II's and a 100wpc Yamaha R8 reciver, all bought together one weekend on impulse for $300. Sounded like crap but I knew it was the source not the speakers. I needed to replace the amp quick and like you I couldn't resist the pull of tubes and horns from what I read here and elsewhere. I bought a Sophia Baby integrated amp and got into tubes for $350. The Sophia Baby is great for low and mid volume listening. It'll also get the spl's to surprising levels if you need to give the knob a twist once in awhile. The mids and highs are silky soft and smooth on the horns. The bass is present and clean but without a lot of punch until it's turned up quite a bit. You'd probably be better off with a vintage tube unit, but this was my experience and the results were good, fast, and cheap . You're welcome to try my Baby for awhile if you'd like, let me know. I then picked up and am presently using a McIntosh MA 5100 integrated SS amp. An NOS Valves amp is ordered and I've got a line on a used Juicy preamp through a forum member. Meanwhile I also picked up a pair of Cornwalls and a pair of Belles. It truly is madness. Let me know about the Baby.

Get hold of Joshnich on the forum. He has a Scott 299d with the 7591 high outputs NOS valves just redid. It's fresh and ready to go. It's supposed to be a nice unit. Priced right also. You can't go wrong. I've had a couple of Jolidas lately and not really impressed with them. They sound fine, but nothing I'd brag about. JMHO though.

HarryO

Thank everyone, I have a chance to buy a carver 500t locally and carve c-1 pre amp, would this amp and pre amp work for my Chorus 1's ? its 250x2 Will if fry my speakers,,, and are my speaker too sensitive for this amp. I am learning the ropes,,, I have found out tube guys, have the no compromise attutude, its tubes or nothing. There must be something to this. I have the bugg,,,,, I am infected. Just bought the chorus one's,,,,, no looking for lascalas, or Belle's ,,,,,,,what is the major difference ? Help me out guys,,,,I love the input.

I know about guns,, leaning about music ? John Fugate fugatefirearms.com

I would just use the Onkyo for a couple of months since you imply you know the amp from past experience.

3 considerations

1. Chorus 1s are a bit old and would benifit from better capacitors in the netowrks. Dean G networks made a nice improvment in detail and music realism in my Chorus IIs.

2. Filtered power

3. improved source; horns magnify shortcomings in source

Do you currently notice any AC line noise in your system?

You mentioned that you're happy with your Onkyo - so why the desire to upgrade? Or basically what don't you like about your current configuration? I would give your ears some time to get adjusted to the new sound before you decide what you want to improve upon. After that it's just a matter of finding the right amp to accomodate the sound that you want.

Also, how much are you looking to spend?

I am happy with the onkyo, 70x70 reciever I have, but want to make the next step. I have a question . I have a new 42 inch LCD TV, a pair of Chorus 1's and my Onkyo 2 channel reciver. I would like to buy a new Yamaha 140x 7 receiver for HT and to use just for music, would this item do all I need it to? Would I sacrafice sound quality going to a 7 channel amp, or do these work great for music. The one I am looking at has HDMI cables, and cost around 1400.00 Or should I look for a better 2 channel reciever or go tubes ? I am into music , my wife is into movies,,,,,,,,,,, Where do I compromise ? I am really confused. Will the chorus speaker perform better with 140 watt x 7 amp or my 70x70 Onkyo ? I know klipsch are efficient? is 140 overkill ? Thank You John Fugate

I know about guns, learning about music fugatefirearms.com

Thank you for the offer, I might take you up on it. I hate to borrow anything, but I am really lost in the tube world, I HAVE NEVER HEARD TUBES ? I have just read hours on end about them. If I liked the amp what would you take for it ? or is it not for sale ? What is the wattage ? I am a reputable dude,,,,, check out my website , I sell fine guns and have hundreds of satified customers. I really apreciate your trust.

John Fugate fugatefirearms.com

John, I would suggest you look for an HT receiver that has preouts for the front two speakers. You can then build a system optimized for two-channel, piggyback the HT receiver to your two-channel rig, and have both HT and 2-channel with no compromise. This is what I've done and I'm using a full-up tube sytems for my two-channel. The HT receiver then feeds the front two speakers to the 2-channel rig when using the HT. The HT system is out of the loop during 2-channel listening and I don't have to disconnect any cables. It works great.