What DON'T you like about your Digital P&S?

My wife has finally decided it's time to get into the digital age of cameras, I'm researching SLR's but she want's something basic and simple. Figure a $200 budget, nothing fancy, but decent. I know here are a lot of review sites out there, but I'm looking for input from the actual end users, not review people, as to what things you DO NOT like about your camera. (Make and model would be appreciated.) At this price point I don't expect professional results, but would like to hear about shutter lag, poor control placement, lack of battery life, low built in storage, or anything else you may be able to come up with. If I'm off base thinking that most basic P&S cameras are all fairly equal as far as image quality, I want to hear that too. Software issues, cabling, poor instruction manuals, bad zooms, anything that you DON'T like. I could give you a bunch of reasons why I think something is great, but there might be one thing bad that is a deal breaker. It's those things I'm looking for. (Our current film P&S has almost 1 second shutter lag, has bugged me since the day we bought it, it takes great pics, good battery life, good photo quality, intuitive controls, nice camera, but I could never recommend it to someone because of the shutter lag.) Thanks for any input, I've got green light to buy once I decide, so the faster the better!!

p.s. I did go through 5 pages of searches with "Nikon" used as the search word and read everything that looked applicable, although all the P&S stuff was a couple years old and technology has marched on since then. I also don't want to know who makes the best cameras, or why, or who bought them out, or anything else argumentative, I just want plain old info about the basic cameras you guys/gals use regularly.

A couple of things to look out for.

Shutter lag sucks- you want the photo taken as close to when you push the button as possible

It's not all about pixels, the quality of the chip matters.

You want to be able to do a custom white balance sooner or later, get this function if you can.

Onboard flashes are horrible,get a hot shoe or X-sync terminal if you can.

Micheal, why is it that as I originally wrote my post I expected you to be the first to reply? [H]

A couple of things to look out for.

Shutter lag sucks- you want the photo taken as close to when you push the button as possible

This I know from experience, I have seen specs listed for some cameras I've looked at, but not all.

It's not all about pixels, the quality of the chip matters.

Where does one find info about the quality of the chip?

You want to be able to do a custom white balance sooner or later, get this function if you can.

That is what/huh? And how do I know if a camera has it?

Onboard flashes are horrible,get a hot shoe or X-sync terminal if you can.

Remember, this is a carry around in the backpack/throw in the glovebox camera, not doing anything fancy, I don't want to put a $200 flash on a $200 camera.

champagne.... at you budget it puts you in a strange territory. At around 200 dollars you see rechargeable batteries and not. They have their pros and cons. Non rechargable batteries mean more money for the life of the camera but it also means no waiting for recharging like when you forget to charge and the camera goes "battery low". Rechargable batteries are vice versa. Also rechargable battery cameras tend to be slimmer than non chargable battery cameras.

Second most point and shoot cameras tend to be under 3X zoom, so it can get not so close up. If you say are at graduation, you see those parents that have to run up snap the shot and run back. Well there are some point and shoot like this http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7688273&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat99000050018&id=1138083503481

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7688273&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat99000050018&id=1138083503481''>http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7688273&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat99000050018&id=1138083503481' mce_href="http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7688273&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat99000050018&id=1138083503481">which is nice cause it has 10X OPTICAL zoom. Optical is important because digital is near useless. Digital basically does what photoshop does when you try and enlarge and image that is small to big, pixelated and grainy. Don't be disuaded by the 5.0 megapixel..... It takes fine pictures up to 8X10.

I would say 4 megapixel 5X7

5 8X12

6 10X12 etc etc

But to be honest, I would have to say the canon sd600 is a nice camera that will be in the range. It used to when it was the flagship model cost 599. It is still and was produced in japan as opposed to a third world nation being outsourced, and shutter lag is non, pictures are good, etc etc.

Jay, thanks for the thoughts. The battery issue is a sticky wicket for me, on one hand I don't want to be buying batteries forever, but on the other hand, I don't want to be stuck if I go into the Boundary Waters Canoe Area for a week, can't very well plug a charger into a Birch tree. I'm thinking if I got one that uses batteries I could use the AA's from my R/C boat that are rechargable, then carry along extra disposables on trips for backup.

One thing I don't like about the Panasonic is no viewfinder. I know it has image stabilization, but I just prefer to compose through that silly little hole. Though I do like the 10x optical zoom. It would be so much easier if there were just three cameras; cheap, good and really expensive. [;)]

If you plan to take a lot of outdoors photos, a viewfinder makes it way easier. The glare on the screen is a pain for composing outside, we have one with, one without, and you would be wise to get one with that silly little hole. It is easy to carry multiple spares of rechargeable batteries, as well as standard for emergency back up. Ours really eat up standard ones fast, rechargeable gives you way more life.

I have a POWERSHOT G3. I've had it for 3 years I think and I have had no problems with it. It has a lot of MODE settings you can tweak although I should say that most of the time, I just use the AUTO mode (lol). It also shoots movies. But for my wife, I bought her a point and shoot type, POWERSHOT SD40. Battery last really a long time and the pictures are great. She loves it and I should say I do too. I often end up using it instead of the G3.

Both uses a CF Card to save images. I use a SANDISK Ultra 2 and there's a big difference in read/write performance from the stock.

As long as your familiar with Steves-digicams, take a look at the review of the Casio Ex-750.And here's another great review....http://www.kenrockwell.com/casio/exz750.htm.... I have owned one of these for over a year now and really like it.The battery life is outstanding and the thing fits in a pocket.You can P and S or have total control over the image.My wife uses it with no problem and it took 6 universal remotes to find the one she was happy with.What I don't like is the flash at a distance and the 3x zoom.And since they have been out awhile you can find them on Ebay for under 200 bucks. I think I paid 300 for mine.Oh, and it takes a great video. That's my two cents....Sid

PS. The screen is HUGE so it makes it really easy to see and compose the shot.....

Find a Canon S2IS. The replacement S3 has been out a while so the prices should be $200 and under. It will do everything you want, has a good chip and glass, and 12x zoom. Also Nikon announced new P&S at the recent PMA show. And the new Sigma P&S is out. It is like a hybrid DSLR/P&S. Would be worth looking into.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. After reading a lot of reviews, both professional and consumer written, I think I'm going to go with the Canon S3-IS. I can get it for $308 at Best Buy, which is farily local, get a 1Gb card and still be around $350. Should be a fun weekend getting to play with a new toy. I'll post a pic or two if anything comes out worth while.

GOOD choice!

I have been using the "older" s2 with fantastic results. I am outdoors a LOT and this camera is fantastic. I was very surprised at the video mode as well. Very clear! Sound is picked up from grass blowing in the wind, birds..everything. Sound is picked up with stereo mics. Awesome. Indoor use is just as good. Purchased 4 rechargeable aa's and charger to go with it. It has a Long battery life as well. Amazing what this camera can do. Read the entire manual. http://www.lensmateonline.com/newsite/order_S2_1.html (Good place to purchase acessories for you camera with great service.)

Sorry about the choppy post....LONG day.[|-)]

Take care

Mike

Took this today when we were coloring Easter Eggs. (Hopefully it shows, haven't needed to take the "Insert Image" class yet due to no camera.)

So far I like tha Canon, taking a bit to get used to the smaller than SLR body size with my big mitts, but finding a place for the fingers to fall. Good pics outside and in, movies are easy, been reading the two manuals and trying to get the 20 or so buttons figured out.

It offers 5 image capture sizes, I've been using the largest, but not sure if I should be. They are: L (2816x2112) M1 (2272x1704) M2 (1600x1200) and S (640x480), with a W mode (2816x1584).Also Superfine, Fine and Normal quality settings. So far everything has been L/Super. What size/quality shuold I be using for general shots that'll get emailed or posted on here? The one's I've taken so far blow up real nice without noise, but probably also take dial up guys 20 minutes to load, which I want to avoid.

post-13504-13819329882268_thumb.jpg

Good looking picture. I have the S1 IS for a few years and it great, I can only imagine how the S3 works. I shoot everything in the highest quality and like Michael said just down size it before you upload it here.

As for web sites you might want to check out , www.photographyreview.com. Nice group of people, just like here, and should be able to help you if you have any problems or questions.

James

also I know what you're talking about the manuals, I have the smaller one in the camera bag at all times, just in case.

• 4 weeks later...

Trying another pic, just to show the range...

I'm overall very happy with the camera, I wish the advanced manual was a little more detailed, but as I work through it I'm happy with the results, especially the 12X optical zoom. OK, I can't figure out how to do two images in one post, yet...

Yes, our daughter and her friend couldn't wait to get into the water once the ice started to come off. It was only a couple days after this that the dock and boat went in. We even had the first campfire that night.

post-13504-13819330713896_thumb.jpg