2ga. speaker wire

As an electrician I have seen some very impressive copper wire. I am not fond of pulling 500 through conduit. Not to mention when you get into wire that is bigger it is possible to give yourself a heart attack just trying to bend it in order to terminate it. You figure 1ft. of 500 weighs about 3lbs.. If you had to pull a 50ft. run you would have 150lbs. of speaker wire. The cost is comparable to a set of Klipsch speakers.

• Like 1

I've been using 8 gauge Karma Kable from KnuKonceptz for over a year and it sounds great. There's a noticeable improvement over the 12 gauge that I was using, especially in clarity and bass presence. It is a little heavy, though, so I support it so it's not hanging from the connectors.

The improvement was very easy to hear with my previous speakers, but perhaps it wouldn't be so obvious with Heritage speakers, since the Scalas are 9 dB more sensitive, but the 8 gauge cables are all I've ever used with them. They're twisted pair, with a clear sheath over the two sheathed conductors and are about half an inch in diameter.

As for 2 gauge, I think that was the size we used for locomotive jumper cables when I worked on the railway (CN). I was a mechanic, not an electrician, so I'm not positive. Anyway, struggling through the gravel in the train yard while pulling a 2-wheeled cart with 100 feet of that cable and its heavy-duty clamps was no picnic, especially in the snow.

post-23736-13819329885648_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using 8 gauge Karma Kable from KnuKonceptz for over a year and it sounds great. There's a noticeable improvement over the 12 gauge that I was using, especially in clarity and bass presence. It is a little heavy, though, so I support it so it's not hanging from the connectors.

The improvement was very easy to hear with my previous speakers, but perhaps it wouldn't be so obvious with Heritage speakers, since the Scalas are 9 dB more sensitive, but the 8 gauge cables are all I've ever used with them. They're twisted pair, with a clear sheath over the two sheathed conductors and are about half an inch in diameter.

As for 2 gauge, I think that was the size we used for locomotive jumper cables when I worked on the railway (CN). I was a mechanic, not an electrician, so I'm not positive. Anyway, struggling through the gravel in the train yard while pulling a 2-wheeled cart with 100 feet of that cable and its heavy-duty clamps was no picnic, especially in the snow.

Not to rain on your parade Islander, but I seriously doubt if anyone in a double blind test of let's say 25-35 foot speaker wire, could tell the difference between 12ga. & 16, 18, or 22 ga. speaker wire according to the sound. It would take a really long length and a very low power amp. for you or anybody else to actually HEAR a difference. Sorry about the rain. Now on a locomotive........yes.