Analog/Digital/Interconnect Cable Question?

zuzu

I have a 2 channel system. I just bought monoprice audio subwooker coax cables S/PDIF. Did I get the wrong type. In my system a SS 25 year old ARC CD player feeds an ARC SP 11, 25 year old tube pre amp to a Rotel 990 power amp to RF 7's and a Velodyne DLS 5000R sub. I'm bi-amping the sub [ pre amp to sub sub to power amp to RF 7's] Where is the interconnect signal analog and where is it digital? Where, between what components, would the S/PDIF type cable be not the best choice if anywhere?

I have a 2 channel system. I just bought monoprice audio subwooker coax cables S/PDIF. Did I get the wrong type. In my system a SS 25 year old ARC CD player feeds an ARC SP 11, 25 year old tube pre amp to a Rotel 990 power amp to RF 7's and a Velodyne DLS 5000R sub. I'm bi-amping the sub [ pre amp to sub sub to power amp to RF 7's] Where is the interconnect signal analog and where is it digital? Where, between what components, would the S/PDIF type cable be not the best choice if anywhere?

Bi-amping the sub? I'm not clear on the logic of that connection method or whether it's possible to bi-amp a sub.

I'm not sure what you're talking about, but you can't bi-amp a 'one-way' system (referring to the sub alone).

If you are talking about using one amp for the sub and another for the main speaker, that is what we (or at least I was) assuming, be it an internally powered sub or a passive unit.

It confuses me to no end how the term "bi-amp" can be used in so many ways by so many folks on this site.

Pre amp main out to sub in. Sub out to power amp in. Power amp to main speakers.

Just for clarification, you are utilizing the internal crossover and amp in the sub. This is a 'normal' configuration for a subwoofer, and yes it is technically bi-amping. Although the rest of your system is not being what is more traditionally referred to as bi/tri-amped.

I would add that as this is a normal configuration in both home audio and SR applications, that many refer to bi(or tri)-amping in the home environment to a multi-way system that employs passive crossovers that have been 'split' into their component parts and the common pre-amp signal split into the respective passbands by an active crossover and then each passband amplified separately.

In this scenario it is more common to refer to the system as being bi/tri-amped, as opposed to a subwoofer' (or any other particular component piece) being singled out as being bi/tri-amped. To belabor the point, it is more common to refer to bi/tri ampig a component that is traditionally treated as a single amplification load employing passive crossovers. Thus if I 'bi-amp' my Jubilees', I would be referring to splitting the 2-way passive system into 2 separate passbands with an active crossover and applying amplification individually to each passband.

Does this make sense?

In other words, you would not normally refer to a system by saying that I am, say, bi-amping my HF horn. You would normally refer to bi/tri-amping the 'system' comprised of several passbands.

Semantics perhaps, but they also often communicate some additional information.

I suspect that this is what resulted in the somewhat curious response to someone 'bi-amping a sub' - a normally '1-way' component!

Perhaps this clarifies (what I think may have been) the source of any confusion for everyone.

Thanks Mas. I did this with my DD 12 and It made the RF7 sound better. It off loads, in the case of the DD 12, frequencies below 80Hz allowing the RF 7's to do abetter job above 80Hz. I plan to do the same thing with the DLS 5000R when I connect it.

The RF-7s are superb speakers for bass with the right amp. I wouldn't exactly say that the setup you had allowed them do to a better job above 80Hz, but it did allow your amp to have an easier load.

FYI, not all subs filter out the bass information on their low level RCA outputs. Do you know for sure if your new sub does?