Biggest 15 ever...

darkside

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

BL^2/Re of 226.525.....not bad at all.... but highish Fs. Built for one purpose only... SPL. TC Sounds is developing one 18" SPL driver with a BL^2/Re of 600. Expected cost should be in the 1600 ish range, but that includes a BIG 7" neodymium magnet. ( expensive! )

More practical would be the LMS 5400 15 or 18", way better SQ, but can still kick some major SPL. Rubber surround will outlive the polyether foam used by Earthquake.

I seen a bigger one on pimp-my-ride.

The bigger one wieghted 300 lbs and had to be handled using an engine hoist.

It needed 8000 watts to warm it up.

The most impressive woofer in my view is the RE Audio XXX 18,and this 18" monster has an Xmax of 54mm one way! Around $2000 per woofer.After I build my TC Sounds subs,and the last one using LMS-5400,I plan to buy a pair of the RE Audio 18" monsters and build a sealed opposed titan.It is a work of modern art as well as a killer woofer.

Re Audio XXX 18 ,TC Sounds LMS-5400 18" and JL Audio 13.5" woofer of the Gotham/Fathom f113 three ubber throw designs with killer looks and massive peak to peak. I will own them all.Damn right.

OK, if we are in the 'whose is biggest'![:P]

My vote has to go to Richard Clarke's 60 inch woofer that he mounted in the back of the step van - and whose back pressure subsequently collapsed the walls of the truck!

Or the USNavy's 12 ton diaphragm (I don't know the actual diameter!) used for (encrypted) ultra-low frequency (~8 Hz) underwater communications. At the 1991 Loudspeaker Design Seminar in Atlanta the designer's referred to problems with diffraction effects off of the continental 'points'. I suggest putting some absorptive material on Cape Horn and the Cape of Good Hope!!! An amazing system that broadcasts across oceans - meaning from the Atlantic to the Indian and Pacific oceans! And you might have thought you had environmental effects with which to deal!!!

Now THAT's a subwoofer!

Wowzer...these woofers are so GHHHHHETTTTO...

Why each time I see a woofer someone has to take his tiny puny scratched Boy George CD and place it next to it ???? WHY??? ...

Time to place a JL Audio W7 13.5 for a real comparo...not some puny CD. A fly next to a CD looks big.

Wowzers medication time....[:#]

Nobody uses them when SQ is key. You could wind voice coils capable of soaking 20KW sustained and 100KW peaks and more. Pit any DD woofer versus a f113 and in sound quality it is a mismatch. These are only for SPL competitions,there people with no goals in life pit one giant blast box versus another and want to be the king of noise. Play a 80Hz tone at window busting SPL,what a great musical experience!

It is still nice to see am imprtessive looking woofer like the one you posted. The 175dB figure is in a very small compartment,and who would even listen above 110dB,the half deaf fully retarded crowd.

Not exactly the case each time,look at TC Sounds LMS-5400 and JL Audioès modded 13.5 W7 used in the Gotham and f113. They are not only capable of extreme linear excursion,very high power handling and have massive motor structures but they can be very refined SQ wise.

Not the same can be said of Digital Designs,Earthquake,Cerwin Vega Stroker PRO and MTX who also offer massive woofers,these will do great moving air and taking a few kilowatts but forget SQ.In this case yes they are like drag racers.

Not exactly the case each time,look at TC Sounds LMS-5400 and JL Audioès modded 13.5 W7 used in the Gotham and f113. They are not only capable of extreme linear excursion,very high power handling and have massive motor structures but they can be very refined SQ wise.

Not the same can be said of Digital Designs,Earthquake,Cerwin Vega Stroker PRO and MTX who also offer massive woofers,these will do great moving air and taking a few kilowatts but forget SQ.In this case yes they are like drag racers.

Note I did not bash the JL Audio or the LMS5400 but the thing is those others are made to play a 50 hertz test tone and not much more...... Add some nice audio spectrum and some different frequencies and listen to the distortion.

Never did understand that royal device thing. Is this guy more proud of his living room or the little silver amp things? I always get bored and never read through it. But it does irk me to see all of that grace and power his equipment is capable of...yet on the screen it looks like he's playing some bluegrass accoustical guitar concert garbage. Not that bluegrass is bad, but what a waste.