Biggest 15 ever...

darkside

Now waiting for more woofers I placed orders on....[:)] I think it may be time to use a large closet as its 500cu ft volume should be good for a smaller IB sub.

What!?! You don't have an IB? I thought you had them all! [:P]

God help me, I think I'm being sucked into the cult, so I may have one in my future, too.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now waiting for more woofers I placed orders on....[:)] I think it may be time to use a large closet as its 500cu ft volume should be good for a smaller IB sub.

What!?! You don't have an IB? I thought you had them all! [:P]

God help me, I think I'm being sucked into the cult, so I may have one in my future, too.

The lure of the dark side is strong. Its powers vast. I have decided to go with four Dayton IB 15" woofers mounted on a braced triple thickness 3/4" MDF sheets. It will be one heck of a sub.

A IB using 4 x 15" woofers in a 800cu ft room should do the trick,I hope. [:D]

Spending alot of moolah on anything below a 12" is wasted money,if you want to stay practical. Even the 8" W7 as impressive as " as it is....not a good price displacement ratio.

I would seek something like Tang Band W8 using the neo magnet. Under $60 and gives you 12mm of Xmax.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=264-833 Models well in ported boxes,you get duals and you tune to around 20Hz in a box from 70 to 80L. Single 4 inch flared port. Very linear to around 20Hz, 240W RMS 480W peak for the two woofers.

What else no bossting needed,you may even have to EQ to reduce the output below 30Hz with room gain and depending on room I will build a mini sub like this to replace a Videologic Sirocco PRO bass module(35Hz extension),this Tang Band will take me to below 20Hz! Note the cabinet should be narrow (8" or so),20 to 24" high and deep to permit the long port. For $150 you have two drivers,MDF,screws,glue and all that remains is an amp 120W per driver or a mono channel or plate amp of 250W would be great.Subsonic filter @ 18Hz to prevent easy bottoming.

Note, I will use this in nearfield,under a meter from me,in a small space where the gain in the lower spectrum is huge,so I will use an EQ to tame the raising in room output.

• 3 weeks later...

Massive overpricing! You can get a TC Sounds LMS-5400 18" for $875. A JL W7 13.5 for $999 and this woofers is over 7X better...[:^)]

It will not even outdisplace the JL or TC Sounds,and even as a special design for SPL....SEVEN GRAND! I can get a JL Audio GOTHAM adding a bit more money! A Gotham diplaces over 12L and uses a 3800W custom amp...thick cabinet built like a tank...and so on.

At $2500 ok for a very high end woofer,mostly custom built in small quantities. But 7 grand,woha.

Yeah, but we can assume maybe 2 grand less here in N. America, but
still that's assuming five large, which is crazy expensive. However, if
you actually read what is in the woofer, you will wonder the sanity of
the people who run DD. It makes no sense. Not to me at least. I can't
tell if they're serious or not.

http://www.ddaudio.com/dd/caraudio/woofers.asp?series=Z

Yeah, but we can assume maybe 2 grand less here in N. America, but

still that's assuming five large, which is crazy expensive. However, if

you actually read what is in the woofer, you will wonder the sanity of

the people who run DD. It makes no sense. Not to me at least. I can't

tell if they're serious or not.

http://www.ddaudio.com/dd/caraudio/woofers.asp?series=Z

Serious or not, they need someone who successfully completed the fifth grade to write their copy. Here's a direct quote from their web site.

"This material can stretch to 1.7 times its weight, allowing for un-presidential travel."

I think I'd prefer presidential travel. I hear the inside of Air Force 1 is pretty damned posh.

And how do you stretch something a multiple of it's weight? Talk about apples and oranges. I was so thrown by the "un-presidential travel" that I completely missed that the first time.

"This material can stretch to 1.7 times its weight, allowing for un-presidential travel."

And

how do you stretch something a multiple of it's weight? Talk

about apples and oranges. I was so thrown by the "un-presidential

travel" that I completely missed that the first time.

That threw me off too. I really wish they would make a little more sense.

They are very serious when it comes to spl. The Z series runs around $4000. Its not a daily driver, its ment for comp use. The New Z series can hit some high dB if you want to win. I have two Digital Designs 9512f and they are very loud subs. The new Digital Designs 9512G is another story. Heres a vid of Digital Designs at comp from Realmofexcursion http://realmofexcursion.com/videos/Competitions/southamerica.1.wmv . Another Beefy sub on t3audio's website. http://www.t3audio.com/core.mdv/TSNS.html