Quitting Smoking

woodsman

Wish everyone trying to quit the best.

Lost my father to heart disease and stokes, mother to breast cancer. Both died young. Both were chain smokers.

One of my best friends from childhood is slowly dying with COPD, hypertension, and has lost all his teeth in the last two years. Three or four packs/day of the cheapest generics he can find. 

He helped me quit, I asked him  for a nail one night while splitting a 12 pack I had purchased. He looked in his pocket and said he only had a half a pack. Needed them for the next morning.

I got pissed off and never smoked another. Never wanted one after a month or so.

We were 16, I had been smoking for three years. By then up to a pack a day. They were 35 - 50 cents a pack. 

I got lucky. But it is never too late. 

• Like 3

I smoked for 20 years, started at age 13. I quit 18 years ago cold turkey after coming down with bronchitis. 

For about a 2 week period a cigarette would choke and choke me while trying to smoke. It was so frustrating to want a smoke but couldn't.  Finally I got mad at the cigarettes and the addiction.  On a Monday I went to work as usual but refused to open my pack. As long as I had cigarettes on me I couldnt bring myself to bum one. By Thursday the pack was pretty beat up so I threw it out and grabbed fresh one. After a week I no longer needed to carry cigarettes with me.

Haven't missed them a bit.

• Like 2

The cost of cigarettes should be a deterrent to many.  Apparently, the cost per pack in Michigan is approximately $8.00.  That works out to 40 cents per cigarette.  That makes smoking an expensive, smelly, and unhealthy habit.  The healthcare costs make the high purchase price relatively insignificant.

Given the cost of cigarettes, it amazes me that street corner panhandlers are foolish enough to smoke and use cell phones while attempting to persuade passers-by that they cannot find work and need food.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

The cost of cigarettes should be a deterrent to many.  Apparently, the cost per pack in Michigan is approximately $8.00.  That works out to 40 cents per cigarette.  That makes smoking an expensive, smelly, and unhealthy habit.  The healthcare costs make the high purchase price relatively insignificant.

Given the cost of cigarettes, it amazes me that street corner panhandlers are foolish enough to smoke and use cell phones while attempting to persuade passers-by that they cannot find work and need food.

It's been 20+ years since I quit smoking. I did the 10 year cost projection and it helped me decide, I can't imagine paying $8.00 a pack.  $8 x 365d x 10y = a lot of money, plus the healthcare costs. 

• Like 1

When watching old movies, I’m always amazed at the amount of public smoking.  It was considered the norm; it was acceptable.  I guess everyone got used to the foul smell.  Everything smelled like an ashtray.

Now, the occasional smell of smoke stands out by comparison.  We’re spoiled by the absence of that stale tobacco stench.  We must remember to enjoy the smoke free clean smell of spaces that used to be polluted by smokers.

As big tobacco referred to a cigarette- "a nicotine delivery system." The business of, making humans a slave to the addiction and happily doing so. Their main goal, through the use of chemical additives,  to breach the blood brain barrier as quickly as possible to get that nicotine into the brain.  Nice guys.🤔 

Smoking was permitted everywhere when I was young.

I can remember ash trays being in the waiting room of the family doctor.

The local store would sell tobacco/beer to kids thinking it was for their pa. I was sent to buy cigarettes when I was 10 years old.  It was no big deal. Everybody new each other but later when the kids became teenagers  the store owner new their pa didn't smoke 3 packs a day or drink 2 cases on the weekend. 

At 38, I have been and off and on smoker.  Its odd how they say the first 3 days is physical and the rest is mental.  I was a pack a day smoker up to about 13 years ago.  Came down with a nasty cold, slowed down to about a half a pack if not less. Eventually giving it up cold turkey one week.  Didn't smoke for about 4 years and for some reason the urge came back.  I will go all week not smoking, come the weekend, its like I never quit.  This last year or two have been the hardest, not really sure why.  Some put it that I am a social smoker, but oddly enough if I am out with friends who do and don't smoke, I will stay in with the non smokers and not smoke.  Seems to be more warm weather and sitting on the deck as when November hits, I rarely go out for a smoke, if at all until about March/April. 

1 hour ago, DizRotus said:

When watching old movies, I’m always amazed at the amount of public smoking.

When I watch shows/movies where people smoke, it gives me the urge, almost like I think its cool or something.  I agree, I never understood how we or other people stand the smell of smoke in their house or car.  My wife and I stopped smoking in the house and car years ago.  

As my wife and I find ourselves smoking less and less, you would think it would be easy to just stop, but its not.  

• Like 2

On 6/15/2020 at 8:14 AM, Woofers and Tweeters said:

It's been 20+ years since I quit smoking. I did the 10 year cost projection and it helped me decide, I can't imagine paying $8.00 a pack.  $8 x 365d x 10y = a lot of money, plus the healthcare costs. 

smoking or second hand smoke was normal -it was everywhere , cigarettes were sold like candy

On 6/15/2020 at 9:39 AM, The Dude said:

As my wife and I find ourselves smoking less and less, you would think it would be easy to just stop, but its not. 

as long as both you dont stop at the same time , you'll never stop , it's easy to quit , but not easy when your next of kin , is lighting one up ---it's almost  like saying , give me one -

On 6/15/2020 at 8:15 AM, JJkizak said:

Knowing several people who smoke I can attest to some things. Their hair (female) stinks. Their clothing stinks. Their cars stink and would gag a maggot. Their homes stink. Their pet dogs stink. 

JJK

put it this way  ----it's  like walking into an old bar  -

2 hours ago, RandyH 000 said:

put it this way  ----it's  like walking into an old bar  -

We did have a bar where I live that had wood floors. When you walked in it stunk to high heaven from booze and puke.

JJK

7 minutes ago, JJkizak said:

We did have a bar where I live that had wood floors. When you walked in it stunk to high heaven from booze and puke.

JJK

bet you it was always  packed and you would have to kick everybody out at closing

10 minutes ago, billybob said:

Guess that's one way if masking tobacco scent.

we had a bar that was open for over 100 years , and it may even have been much older , they used to call it a landmark ,  now that it's closed ,  the local health related problems  went down by almost  90% -

• Sad 1