KLF30-20-C7-KSPs6 surround setup questions.

Capa

After months of searching, and either 1)having the money but no speakers to buy, or 2)finding the speakers but no money, I am about 95% sure I'm picking up my holy grail this weekend. I currently have KLF30s, driven by an Adcom 555II, and 2 SVS 12/2+ subs. I have a 52" DLP. I'll also start looking for a deal on an Adcom 5503 so I can put 200w into every speaker.

This weekend, I'll be picking up a pair of KLF 20s and a C7. Eventually, I will be going to a projection setup. Eventually, I would like to go to a 7.2 setup. I want my center to be 3 way, like the KLF30s, so I'm going to convert a KLF 20 to a center, and use the C7 for a surround, and probably trade the other KLF 20 for another C7 and some $$ to someone who wants to upgrade their center. Right now, this would mean taking off the motorboard and cutting a new one for a horizontal KLF20.

1)if you go to 7.1, is there a reason to mix dipoles and direct speakers? I have an inside tip on some S6s that might be for sale, but I don't know if I ever would have a use for them. My room now is not long enough for 7.2 anyway, so I would have time to hunt down 2 more C7s. Any reason to go KLF across the front, S6 for SL and SR, and the C7s for rears? Do dipoles have ANY use in a 7.x system?

2)I have heard rumblings about center channel performance being degraded by having your mids/highs in between the woofers...since I'm going to a projector later, I could leave the klf20 vertical and the height would be fine...but that would mean that I couldnt do that now and stay under my TV. If the performance doesnt matter, I can make the conversion now and use it just fine later.

3)What do I need to do to the KLF20 to make it shielded from my TV? (or does it matter)...it would be literally right beneath it if I go horizontal.

4)How would SB3s work as my rears in a 7.1..I can get a pair that needs to have some work done really cheaply, and I work for a top tier Klipsch reseller, so I can get the parts at cost to fix them

5)On the KLFc7, the horn is already oriented vertically....I want to stand them up on stands for my surrounds, which would orient the horn horizontally like the front speakers....will this affect the C7(I know this probably is just opinion, but I'm wondering if I would get a wider sound field out of it)

Basically, I'd LIKE to make the KLF20 horizontal for looks, both now and under a screen, but if there is a significant performance gain from leaving it vertical, then I'll leave it and make do for now.

Capa,

IMO, you going to have a terriffic setup, but I may be biased (see sig below). [:D]

To answer your questions..

1) Your room configuration and listening tastes will determine the best outcome here. I personally prefer an all monopole setup as do others on this board, but there are just as many here that would argue the dipole/spray side of the coin. A sitting position that is not against the back wall will work best with monopoles. They need some room to work their best.

2) I did the horizonalization of a KLF-30 for my center with the woofers on each side of the horns. If there is a difference, I can't hear it. The only tip here is to keep the woofers as close as possible to the center of the motorboard.

3) I don't think that a DLP is subject to magnetic distortion. If so, the Klipsch parts dept. proabably has the bucking magnets you need to neutralize the effect.

4) SB-3's will not give you a "voice" match. I would go for C7's unless your listening position is up against the back wall.

5) Don't worry about the horn orientation on the C7, especially on the surrounds. I did extensive listening tests both ways with mine and found no difference. I stand mine on end as you are proposing.

Hope this helps.

I went ahead and finalized the deal today, so I've got a C7 and a pair of KLF20s on the way. Is there anything that should be done in addition to the HornEd mod while the front of the speaker is off (bracing, etc?)

I used a piece of 3/4" MDF. No extra bracing. Very rigid and strong. Just make sure you seal the new motorboard from air leaks with a continous bead of liquid nails.

If you have any other questions about the mod, let me know. I've done two of them.