Stylus run in time??

emperor ming

IVe been trying to get a turntable FAQ on google, and just cant find anything , in the short time i have on here, im just wondering as i have bought a new stylus, goldring 1042 for my Rega planar 3, how long will it take for the stylus to run in??

tracking and weght, anti skate is all optimum, just sounds a bit thin, somewhere i read run in was about 50 hours, i hope it will not be so bright , ina few hours

thanks andy

I would imagine that there might be some run-in time due to the elastomeric compounds in the cartridge assembly.

You'll want to take the advice of Scott0527, Allan Songer, Max, LarryC or Mike Lindsay (the guys I consider our TT 'gurus' around here)

sorry if I left anyone out- I know there are lots of you

Useually one revolution.....If elastomeric compound has dried out it cannot be recovered by playing for several hours.....If its MM just replace needle assembly......if MC replace complete cartridge. Of course if you have a fluid that can softed the compound you might try it,, but too mutch can cause it to collaps..Can you imagin how youd feel if you invested in a $5000. cartridge? If it sounds thin it might not have its proper loading impedence match.

Well i have got a selection of a few vinyl albums i know well, and all seems to be playing, and bedding in well. I tried to remember when i first got my G1022GX cart at first, and that sounded a bit shrill to start off with, now, mine did that , but is now sounding very balanced, with great weight and nice decays on cymbals. I know how musical my T amp is, and the glistening shimmy that they have on good recordings, and clean sound is starting to form on the new stylus. im sure a good few hours run in will have it warner and sweeter.

It sounds excellent enough already, a defenite improvement over the 1022GX, stylus. I played the First Album i played earlier, straight off, and its not sounding rasping on the treble. Nice and balanced.

thanks for the views and help guys, think i will be good now[:D]

What is the recommended tracking force and what are you setting it? Many of us record spinners have found that tracking a little heavy can improve the sound (won't hurt the record, just don't track so much that the angle of the cart head is dispositioned).

Also, what is the ambient temp in your room? Compliance of vinyl varies a bit with temp - if you like your room sort of crispy cool it may make a slight elevation to the high end response...

IVe been trying to get a turntable FAQ on google, and just cant find anything , in the short time i have on here, im just wondering as i have bought a new stylus, goldring 1042 for my Rega planar 3, how long will it take for the stylus to run in??

tracking and weght, anti skate is all optimum, just sounds a bit thin, somewhere i read run in was about 50 hours, i hope it will not be so bright , ina few hours

thanks andy

Could be a run in issue but somehow I doubt it. Ultimately I suppose the diamond may have a few "rough edges" that will get worn off over time allowing it to sit better in the groove but we are talking a few layers of atoms here so I do not think that would be it.

Normally if you think the sound is a bit thin the easiest way to address that is to adjust the VTA. Rule of thumb is that the tilted down towards the cartridge end will sound shriller and tilted back warmer and bassier. Just lower the back end a tad - if you can and see if the sound changes. This is a much easier issue to address than adjusting the phono stage. If it solves the problem - great - otherwise get back to us.

I am also currently breaking in a new Dynavector DV-10X5 cartridge on my Sota Sattelite table and I am, no kidding hearing this thing blossom as I listen!!  It has currently got only 7 hours and 10 LP's(both sides) since mounting.  

You're kidding me.....I need to play a new needle 20 - 50 hrs before it starts sounding good.....that's a new one on me.

My memory of the TT ritual recalls my perception that the best sound was at the new zero hour state.

But, since this is a possibility, let me drag out the TT I bought a few months ago and the new needle I bought and give it a few more hours before i cast it to the curb.

Sounding thin would be a kind use of words for my re-visit of records after 30 or so years.

I'm of the opinion that cartridges improve marginally over the first week to a month, but no huge difference.

I'm also of the opinion that turntables are so NOT plug and play, that if you don't like tweaking and adjusting, and tweaking some more and adjusting some more, over and over, week after week, month after month, that you should probably send all your records to me and buy a nice CD player.

I've got to say that if your TT sounds thin, you have done something substantially wrong, and should probably give up; again, send your records to me.

Gee, I kinda hate to bring this up, but I'm ALSO in the camp of new turntables needing to break in!! The easiest guess is that the bearing and well, and probably the motor bearings and works, all need to smooth out and settle in.

My Basis Ovation table, which impresses the hell out of everyone now, sounded awful for the first few weeks after I got it.

Larry

The Rega planar 3 , goldring, Trends TA10/ Klipsch, is all sounding a bit magical. the New stylus is excellent. It might also be due to the Cambridge Audio 640 preamp i bought as well, im playing all sorts for fun at the mo. [:P]

Anyone else on here got a Tripath chip amp with their Klipsch?