La Scala - What is the path of sound in the cabinet?

rjrbass

Bruce, do you have a drawing of the early (mid-70s) La Scala? That's the one with the removeable top, the bass bin that's accessed from a panel under the squawker horn, and a single bottom panel. The crossover is mounted to the bass bin access panel.

post-23736-13819330192308_thumb.jpg

Bruce, do you have a drawing of the early (mid-70s) La Scala? That's the one with the removeable top, the bass bin that's accessed from a panel under the squawker horn, and a single bottom panel. The crossover is mounted to the bass bin access panel.

Pat,

Hadn't made one of that model. I putzed around long enough to get as much done as I did. Do you have a pair of those? If you do, that box is ideal for DJK's ported version to lower the bass response of the LS. It could get you flat to almost 30 Hz. A slight loss in efficiency takes place, but only slight.

Bruce

Hey RJR,

Here's a diagram that answers your question.

You should put some serious thought into getting some ALK crossovers for your LaScalas.... They'll really make your speakers sing!

Dave In Nashville

Dave in Nashville,

Thank you for you drawing, much appreciated.

I installed DynamiCaps and MusiCaps in my Cornwalls on Saturday, and couldn't believe the difference. I believe you that ALKs will make my La Scalas sing, but I was under the impression that the AL-3 was a good crossover to begin and it's only 14 years old.

Pat,

Hadn't made one of that model. I putzed around long enough to get as much done as I did. Do you have a pair of those? If you do, that box is ideal for DJK's ported version to lower the bass response of the LS. It could get you flat to almost 30 Hz. A slight loss in efficiency takes place, but only slight.

Bruce

I haven't worked with any CAD-type programs, but it does look like plenty of work. Yes, those are my '74 La Scalas, but they look a little different now, with CT125 tweeters and Sonicaps, as well as black grille cloth on the K400s. The removeable tops really make it straightforward to service anything in the top section.

As for the bass mod, it's an idea, but with the help of the Paradigm sub, the bass is at reference level to 30 Hz and down only 5 dB at 25 Hz. I've saved pix of that bass mod, but it's on the far back burner at the moment.