Just ordered a Trends 10.1 Class T Digital Amp - A whopping $130

Cut-Throat

Most of 1, 2, and 3 can probably be accounted for by the difference in output impedance between the two amplifiers. The Trends will tend towards boosting the highs whenever there is a rise in the impedance - which is true for the impedance on the lascala. The SET's do the same thing, but they also boost the lows (the trends won't boost the lows). The SET's will also have a slight rise in the middle of the midrage too (where the squawker crosses over to the bass bin, and again the Trends doesn't have this either).

So in comparison, the trends have a similar boosted high end like the SETs, but they aren't going to have boosted lows nor that slight boost in the midrange. The smiley face EQ (which this resembles) plus a little boost in the mids will make a speaker sound louder at lower levels. The SET's probably roll off the lows sooner too, which is why the Trends sounds like it goes deeper, but doesn't seem as loud.

Accounting for various differences in the distortion signatures, I wonder what your impressions might be if you chose the rest of your equipment around the Trends amp instead.

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Since I consider those Wrights to be some of the absolute worst sounding amps I've ever heard -- I found the analogy amusing. I would think it would be more like going from a woman full of life and energy back to one with anorexia and anemia.:)

Since I consider those Wrights to be some of the absolute worst sounding amps I've ever heard -- I found the analogy amusing. I would think it would be more like going from a woman full of life and energy back to one with anorexia and anemia.:)

Like Craig mentioned before, there is no absolutes in audio. Paul likes it. And that's all that really matters I'm thinkin'.

I'd love to compare the little Trends digi-amp, to my little Magnavox SE 6BQ5 amp. With regards to low-level late night listening with the Cornwalls. But I don't have the money to buy a Trends amp just for that reason.

I wonder how these new little breeds of digi/switcher amplifiers will last over time. The Magnavox amp is 40 years old, of course it was rebuilt and freshened up with new parts and tubes. But will these sort of amplifiers be around in 40 years? Or are they just more new discard technology? Does it matter? How long will the IC chip last?

Some folks like the sound of a single-ended triode, or SE pentode...whatever. Some don't....I've never listened to the Wright sound amps. I've listened to my 2A3 SET amp, and it doesn't sound anemic to me.......I dunno....

Hearing the Trends is like being set up on a blind date only to discover that your date is a flashy (fleshy?) young club dancer with all the right proportions and paint eager to party; the effect is Wow! And she's lots of fun to show in public. Self centered, always checking the mirror, dumb as a doorknob, and endlessly chattering about nothing of subtance... doesn't grasp anything you want to talk or think about... a superficially attractive wasteland - maybe worth a tour but not a place one might live...

The Sets are like a young librarian; intellegent, well read, and thoughtful; and truly interested in what you think and say. No makeup, naturally pretty, and happy to sit with you for endless hours at home or in a quiet park or coffeshop just hanging on your every word. Natural interest and intimacy for the long term. As the Irish poet said, "I see a fine land where I may lay down my sword and rest".

Its got to be the off-duty librarian for me... I'll keep the Trends around for parties or when someone questions that La Scalas have bass.

Paul,

I have to say the above really made me chuckle!! Great read...

Craig

"Like Craig mentioned before, there is no absolutes in audio. Paul likes it. And that's all that really matters I'm thinkin'."

Sure -- preference means we can't tell someone their system sounds bad even if it does.:) I was really just busting Paul's chops, and the Wright's probably didn't get the fairest of shakes when I had them either. The only preamp I had at the time was the QUAD QC-24, and it might just have been a bad mix. I was probably also driving them too hard, since I was more into the volume thing back then.

"I'd love to compare the little Trends digi-amp, to my little Magnavox SE 6BQ5 amp. With regards to low-level late night listening with the Cornwalls. But I don't have the money to buy a Trends amp just for that reason."

Just about all of my music listening is late at night now. Tripath has a beefy bass and the top is tipped up a little bit, so it works well for that kind of thing. I still think it's the best thing I've ever heard for low level listening. For anything other than that, it wouldn't be my first choice -- which would be tubes.

"I wonder how these new little breeds of digi/switcher amplifiers will last over time. The Magnavox amp is 40 years old, of course it was rebuilt and freshened up with new parts and tubes. But will these sort of amplifiers be around in 40 years? Or are they just more new discard technology? Does it matter? How long will the IC chip last?"

The inexpensive ones will probably end up in the trash can in less than five years, but who knows.

I'm up for passing the Trends around among forum members for
listening. The offset is adjusted to 0/0mV and the jumpers are set to
operate as a straight power amp. I'll include the spare jumpers if some
want to set it back to pre/power. The blue LED doesn't work but I
thought it was too bright anyway...

Mike Stehr, how about you start us off by sending me a PM with a
delivery address and I will send it out, then we can continue to pass
it around for all to hear. I suppose this thread is as good as any to
keep track of who has it and whom is next?

post-16099-1381933409669_thumb.jpg

"Mike Stehr, how about you start us off by sending me a PM with a delivery address and I will send it out, then we can continue to pass it around for all to hear. I suppose this thread is as good as any to keep track of who has it and whom is next?"

I really appreciate the offer Paul, but I don't like having something that isn't mine. What if I just happen to break it or it get's trashed in shipping?

I know these things happening are very remote if at all, but it can happen. And if I really feel the desire to have a Trends amp, I'll just pony up the cash to buy one......130 bucks isn't much......

Besides, Kevin gave his take and mentioned the Trends is a great amp. But not on par with his SET amps. You gave the Trends amp a nice long extended chance, a few weeks or whatever. (A proper way to evaluate gear, I think.)

But you returned back to the 2A3 SET amps, it doesn't suprise me. There is something to be said for a single-ended tube amp. It's not for everyone of course. But for folks who like it, it's hard to walk away from.

Thanks again for the offer, however.

Looks like Mark1101 is up for it.......

OK Mike, I understand.

For the record I'll state here that if
the thing breaks during its' passaround I'll just send it back to Sasha
at Obad for a warranty replacement and resume the passaround from that
point. That gives us about another 11 months of warrantied passaround
time. In any event I'm not concerned about loss or damage and promise
not to sue anyone. The distributor is very keen on lots of folks
hearing this amp and is very easy to deal with.

Mark, send me a PM with a delivery address and I will send it on.

Trends has arrived.....opened box....everything looks good. Will try and get it connected later this evening. Man....that thing is SMALL.

As is quite often the case, good things come in small packages!

Why a better experiment with the LS? Just wondering how you are thinking...

The
Tends is currently jumpered for power amp only. To run without a preamp
he will need to put two jumpers back in. I'd recommend what he has
planned first, then maybe put in the jumpers and try otherwise.

Well....It's playing and it is pretty interesting. I'd like to thank Paul for the opportunity to try the Trends out. Nice guy for sure.

All I did was replace my VRDs with the Trends...after I read all the instructions. I am using a Jolida JD100 with Tung Sol 12AX7s and a Peach with a Telefunken and a pair of JAN Philips 6922s....and the Trends connected to my Khorns that have ALK ES networks.

The first thing I noticed is a very detailed top end, and good clean bottom end....AND a little thin in the middle causing a mild boxiness. After listening to many familiar tunes, the "thin in the middle" and lack of separation between instruments are recurring themes......but not that serious a problem. About the only complaints I could make besides a lack of serious power. This little amp sounds good for what it is.

I would call the top end detail somewhere right in the middle of the type of sound I get with the VRDs which is warm, detailed and clean, and my solid state Denon which is ultra detailed and clean to the point of analytic and sterile at times. A point I'd say that is "in the ballpark for sure". Not tubes but not s/s either. Pretty much just right....again....for what it is.

I don't feel it lacks power tremendously....but it does in practical terms REALLY. I can't get it as loud as I would like. But my feelings are that it doesn't matter that much. It just won't do it, but it is not bad because of that. If you use it right it can be pleasing for sure. I purposely turned it up a few times to the point of severe distortion just to understand HOW these type of amps distort. I would say very ugly....you can't listen anywhere near the point of distorion IMHO. It comes on quick, hard, and nasty.

The bass is clean, low, and again sounds somewhere in between tubes and s/s......well done....well tuned. You just can't turn it too loud....or else.

This little amp is fun to listen to overall, and I consider it a fine SMALL version of Class D. It will be interesting when the technology is more refined and we get some higher powered versions with even better sound in the mainstream.

That being said I have been listening to my HH Scott LK-72 and my cornwalls outdoors for the past few days. Last night around midnight we listened to Wish You Were Here and DSOTM at a significant volume while we relaxed out on the lawn. The Trends is not a competitor at all to the LK-72 (or VRDs) IMHO. The LK-72 has more balance top to bottom, stronger midrange, and separation between instruments (bigger soundstage). The Trends may be a little cleaner top to bottom.....but not more realistic due to the issues I mention that give it a mildly noticable boxy sound.

I'm goin to leave it running tonight and enjoy it some more since I am off tomorrow.

I think it has the power to drive the ES nets Dean. But I really didn't want to take it apart to change the jumpers just to try the LaScalas with no preamp. I have a good impression of this little amp just the way I'm using it.

I have to say that I really would not be satisfied if this was the only amp I had to drive my Heritage speakers, but it does sound good and I really welcomed the chance to try it out so I could understand and qualify some of the comments and reviews I read here.

My final word is that it is a fun amp.....but misses at being of audiophile quality sound IMHO. We'll see what the others who try it have to say.

Edit: I called it a class D. Wrong. Class T.

Another edit: 17:25 EST. After further listening I am really enjoying the sound of this little amp. It does just about everything respectably. The comment I wanted to add is that now after some time I feel the sound is very s/s to me. It is not a tube sound at all now that I have played a few different genres. The top end is just a little to detailed for me. The bottom end is just fine in all I have heard. Still, the midrange lacks and this stands out over time. But I truly have to say now that it is hard to complain. I'm being picky for sure. It's a good little amp.