Khorn crossover question

JMCMAN

Last night I had the pleasure of hooking up my Khorn's that I built. I used the tweeters and midranges form my heresy's. I also converted the Type E crossovers to the Khorn A type. I heard a hiss from the tweeter, and was wondering what could I do to remove that hiss? Any ideas?

Jim

First is isolate the problem: Both hissing? or is it just one? Switch the speaker wires and see if the hiss "follows" the speaker wires to the other one. If that's the case, it's not the K-77, it would be in between the speaker and the source. If it does not "follow" and remains on that K-77; then there is a problem with one of the K-77's or possibly with the crossover. At that point, other members of the forum will have a number of suggestions, including contacting Bob Crites (BEC). Hope that gets you started in tracking it down.

Well, lets see what we can figure out here.  No, on the reversal.  If you rebuilt the Type E into a Type A using the right schematic, the polarity should not be reversed on any of the drivers.  

You said that you used the midranges from your Heresys.  I hope that did not mean you used the Heresy midrange horn. It will not go low enough to meet the Khorn Bass bin.

Now about tweeters hissing.  Tweeters don't hiss on their own.  They just reproduce the hiss that your upstream components are sending to them.  Now if you used the same upstream equipment with the Heresys and did not hear the hiss, that is easy to explain.  The Type A crossover sends more energy (four times as much energy) to both the tweeter and the midrange than the Type E crossover did with the same amount of input.  You may not have been able to hear the hiss before, but it was there.

Bob Crites

Thanks Bob, I did not use the same midrange horn, just the driver. But the upstream equipment is the same. So the hiss was there all along but I didn't know it. BTW I'm using your woofers in the bass bins. The sound is very good.  Thanks again

Jim

I'm pretty sure it is just noise from your amp and the very high sensitivity you have now.

In the Heresy the tweeter level is knocked down 6 or 8 dB; the mid even more; and amp noise is therefore not a problem. But in a K-Horn the tweeter is running without attenuation and the mid with 3dB loss and so any noise comes through.

I think the mid can be part of the issue too, just as far as sensitivity.

= = = =

I built K-Horns and some similar high sensitivity units. My old (1970-80) low power JVC and Sony amps were not a problem and I still use them.

I bought an HK receiver at Fry's years ago. It was noisy when the DSP processing was on. It was okay in straight stereo, but I returned it. Maybe the new HK are good. People on the forum here have favorites.

My relatives run Yamaha HT receivers without problem. I have a Mac 2505 (50 watt blue meter) with no problem.

I'm not trying to talk you into expensive amps. If you have an old low power amp from college, you should give it a try.

It is certainly nothing which can be fixed with caps in the crossover or the like, as BEC says.

Gil