Question for owners of Sony DVP S9000ES

zuzu

How do you tell if a SACD will play as a SACD on your Sony DVP S9000ES player? I've read it will not play multichannel SACD's which were not yet out when the Sony was launched. What are the key descriptive words on the SACD that say it will play and what are the key words that say it won't play?

There should be four small icons (because I can't place the correct term) on the bottom left of the player. They are, from left to right, Dolby Digital, DTS, Compact Disc, and SACD. The SACD will light up in a soft white.

It is true, there are few SACDs that it won't play but none that I own or know of specifically.

Good luck.

EDIT: I think I misread your post. I don't know of anything to look for in terms of information or labels on the SACD.

I suppose the reason that I've never had a problem playing multi channel is that I have used a NAD 6.1 receiver as opposed to a 2 channel preamp.

I think the reason for the 9000 selling higher on the used market is the fact that it has a much beefier chassis. The 9000 is almost twice the weight if the 999 weighing in at 28lbs versus 15lbs. for the 999. It also has the Audio Direct feature that I'm not sure if the 999 has or not. I own the 9000 but have heard the 999 is a great player as well. It sounds like it may suit your needs better than the 9000.

Good luck.

I was under the impression that in order to get SACD multichannel you HAD to have seperate 5.1 analog outputs on the SACD player (indicating a multi-channel SACD decoder) and connected to a seperate 5/6/7.1 channel analog inputs on the amp/preamp (ie NOT digital)

I believe the 9000ES has 2 channel SACD analog output only, and unlike the 999ES it doesnt have a Super Audio CD Multichannel decoder. If you connect the 2 channel output (or digital output) to a 5.1 processor or HT receiver it can "create" 5.1 output, but it WONT be true SACD multichannel.

HTH

WOT

Don't worry. As mentioned in a previous thread, all SACD's will have a dedicated stereo mix. The "lingo" was confused with the introduction of DVD-A which can have multiple layers for Hi-Rez (MC and Stereo). Sometimes people refer to SACDs as having a stereo and a MC layer. They don't.

SACD is all on one layer. Both the multi channel and the stereo informaion are on the same layer on an SACD and all SACDs have a stereo mix regardless if it is labeled as stereo or MC.

So you don't need to worry about buying SACD's labeled MC because they will have and play stereo.

The only concern could come from older Sony discs that may be SACD only, meaning no CD layer (here is where SACD can have another layer). These will also play fine in your Sony player so no worries but they will not play in a regular CD player because they do not have a separate CD layer.

Thanks Strabo!!!! If I buy a multichannel SACD, given that the 9000 does not play MC, will I hear the full quality of SACD? I have 600 regular store bought CD's. I don't need one called MC SACD and have it play, but as a normal CD would, after paying extra for a SACD.

If I buy a multichannel SACD, given that the 9000 does not play MC, will I hear the full quality of SACD?

Yes, if you use the analog outputs.

When you play the disc you may have to select the SACD layer instead of the CD layer. I'm not familiar with that player but in general, players default to the hi-rez layer when available. I would expect there to be some kind of indicator on the front of the player that would tell you what is being played.

Your Sony will play multichannel SACD's as long as there is a 2 channel mix on it. Your'e S9000ES will not play most CD-R's & CD-RW's. Your'e 9000ES is a dedicated 2 channel SACD-CD-DVD player.

Certain SACD/CD hybrid discs will not play the SACD portion. ABKCO Records (Rolling Stones, etc) have a tendency for the 9000ES to read only the CD layer.

The 9000ES is a great machine but it can become "quirky" at times.

Enjoy,

Pete

If I have a multichannel SACD with a 2 channel mix will it play on my 9000 "BETTER" than a regular CD of the same material on my 9000. If not better why bother. I'm looking for the SACD experience. I already have 600 CD's to play on the 9000. It would seem to me as I research this, if I get a STEREO ONLY SACD the 9000 will play it "BETTER", than a regular CD of the same material.

Your Sony will play multichannel SACD's as long as there is a 2 channel mix on it. Your'e S9000ES will not play most CD-R's & CD-RW's. Your'e 9000ES is a dedicated 2 channel SACD-CD-DVD player.

Certain SACD/CD hybrid discs will not play the SACD portion. ABKCO Records (Rolling Stones, etc) have a tendency for the 9000ES to read only the CD layer.

The 9000ES is a great machine but it can become "quirky" at times.

Enjoy,

Pete

UGGGGHHHH. I'm getting talked out of this deck really fast. Been thinking about picking up one of these for my HT system, but if it doesn't play CDRs that's not gonna work for me. Juuuuuuust when I thought it was what I was looking for.......[:(] Thought it would be a nice deck as a "bridge" until I go HD (I need a quality DVD/CD deck that does DD and DTS - maybe an older high end machine)....but the lack of CDR playability just kills the 9000ES as an option.