Yamaha htr5460 or Sony str-de1075

BigBusa

Tonite's the night. I'm considering these two recievers both offered at sears. Using their internet price matching policy I can get the yamaha for $354 and the sony for $444.

The sony offers 6.1 x 100wpc and multi-room capabilities.

The yamaha is 5.1 x 100wpc no multi-room.

Any advice guys?

------------------

My system thus far:

1980 Cornwalls (mains)

1990 Heresy II's (rears)

2001 KLF-C7 (center)

2001 KSW15 (Subwoofer)

NOTHING-Thanks for NOTHING UBid!(No reciever)

Kenwood DV402 (DVD)

Sony KV 27V55 (9 year old 27" TV still kickin')

:eyes

BUSA,

Having had prevoius Sony receivers, I would go for the yama, also I have seen it cheaper also on the internet. check www.pricescan.com. I checked last night and www.majorfusion has it for 329.99 plus 16.00 shipping. Also more audio video has it for same price. I am going to get this same reciever asap. Please inform me on with one you get. I am very intrested in knowing the results.

------------------

My HTS:

MAINS: RF-3's

CENTER: KSC-C1(LOOKING FOR A RC-3 OR RC-3II)

REAR: SS-1's

SUB: KSW-12

TV: TOSHIBA THEATER VIEW 50"

RECEIVER:KENWOOD VR-4080B

DVD: SONY S-360 DVD PLAYER

monster cable interconnects/12 gauge speaker wire

I went to sears tonight with printed out price quote in hand from bndonline.com

Sears checks into it and tells me they do not match quotes from them. So I'm back hom trying to find it cheaper online from a place they do accept.

I think you're going through sears also for your yamaha. Make sure to call 1800 549 6581 and ask if they honor that particular sellers prices. This'll save you a trip to sears for nothing.

------------------

My system thus far:

1980 Cornwalls (mains)

1990 Heresy II's (rears)

2001 KLF-C7 (center)

2001 KSW15 (Subwoofer)

Kenwood DV402 (DVD)

busa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just called sear 800 line and they will match this internet company. majorfusion.com price is 329.99 plus 16 shipping. That is the cheapest one I have seen!!! Hope this helps and hopefully they will stay this checp on the price untill I can get one.

------------------

My HTS:

Cool! I've printed out the needed paperwork and I'm going in the AM! Smile.gif

Thanks

------------------

My system thus far:

1980 Cornwalls (mains)

1990 Heresy II's (rears)

2001 KLF-C7 (center)

2001 KSW15 (Subwoofer)

Kenwood DV402 (DVD)

You have some real sound investment in speakers but the receiver choices you are considering may be limiting the performance of the Klipsch.

Outlaw Audio 1050 was only $499 and is a robust high current 60 watts. It also has pre outs so you could add a power amp for th mains at another point in time.

I have looked at the Outlaw but for 499.00 even if it is a high current receiver its not workth the money. Does it have all the features as the yama. I know it does not have comp. video outputs. and I do not understand there rating on power.??

------------------

My HTS:

$499 + $50 or so in shipping is a bit more than I want to spend. Although it may be a great reciever it is missing a few of the things I must have. Call me crazy but after the 5.1 feature I look for a bass boost or loudness switch. I like my bass at lower volume levels. The 44 prologic modes on the yamaha are fun to play with but I could live without them.

-Don

------------------

My system thus far:

1980 Cornwalls (mains)

1990 Heresy II's (rears)

2001 KLF-C7 (center)

2001 KSW15 (Subwoofer)

Kenwood DV402 (DVD)

Eyes.gif

This message has been edited by BigBusa on 12-14-2001 at 08:12 AM

Anytime I've seen anyone even remotely thinking about purchasing the Outlaw 1050 I've been chiming in with a resounding "Just do it!". A loudness button?! The bass management on the Outlaw is great. 6 X-Over settings. Just use the bass level setting to simulate a loudness button. As far as their power ratings it goes like this. Where as a lot of other companies just bolt out a 1mhz blast and push it to the acceptable distortion threshold to get their maximum wattage rating Outlaw uses a real-life full audible range of 20Hz-20Mhz. Don't be surprised if Sears doesn't honor that ad either. You are correct with the Video outputs though. I go directly to my RGB ins on my TV though so it's not really a prolem for me.

------------------

Outlaw 1050 A/V Receiver

Rega P3 Turntable

AMC CD8b CD Player

Toshiba 3108 DVD Player

Klipsch KG 4.2s(main)

2 Dynaco A-10/V IIs(centers)

Cerwin Vega E-706s(rears)

Cerwin Vega LW-12(sub)

Parasound PPH-100 Phono Preamp

Vampire Wire Digital Interconnects & Speaker Wire

the distortion rate on the outlaw is like 0.05% and the yama is 0.06% not much difference. However there is a noticable difference between 60x5 and 100x5 watts.

------------------

My HTS:

If there are "powers that be" I am convinced they do not want me to have a new reciever.

cwm10.gif

I went to sears last night with what I thought was proper paperwork for them to price match. I was ready to buy but come to find out, they do not honor that retailer I got a price from. cwm10.gif

I go back home and today check into the online retailer that K-D suggested. After I call sears I find that they do match this retailers prices. I print out all the paperwork including the part that says $16 shipping and head back to sears tonight.

The zitfaced salesman calls the same number I had called hours earlier to check out the price match. 10 minutes later he comes back saying that they do match their prices, their shipping is not $16 it is actually $36 and that the retailer has none of these recievers in stock so they cannot give me that price! I'm livid now! I guess my voice must have gotten louder because the manager came right over and asked what the problem was. I explaied the situtation to him. He told his salesman to honor the price with the higher shipping cost. I reluctantly agreed to the $20 higher price. 2 minutes later the dopey sales kid comes back and tells me they don't have any in stock! cwm10.gif They are on backorder and won't be in until mid januuary! WTF!? All that bullshiit and aggrivation for nothing.

They still want me to order one though ...I ask them why I would order through them and wait a month only to pay $30+ sales tax when it does finally come in ...when I could go online and get it in a few days and pay no tax? They're like ..."Duh, Yeah." cwm13.gif

I'm done with sears dumbass price matching policy. K-D I hope you have better luck than I did!

------------------

My system thus far:

1980 Cornwalls (mains)

1990 Heresy II's (rears)

2001 KLF-C7 (center)

2001 KSW15 (Subwoofer)

Kenwood DV402 (DVD)

http://yamaha.com/yec/customer/faqs/av_receivers/faq00.htm

I've been doing some more research and noticed the rxv-620 is identical to the htr5460 in price and specs but it weighs 7 lbs. more!

If you read the FAQ at the link above you might rethink your htr5460 purchase.

K-D next reciever we buy together you have to do all the annoying foot work ok !? cwm12.gif

I just ordered an rxv-620 from best4digital.com. Total including shipping ...$350!

------------------

My system thus far:

1980 Cornwalls (mains)

1990 Heresy II's (rears)

2001 KLF-C7 (center)

2001 KSW15 (Subwoofer)

Kenwood DV402 (DVD)

Eyes.gif

This message has been edited by BigBusa on 12-14-2001 at 09:46 PM

busa,

I was talking to my dealer today and he did say that the rxv line was better than the htr line. This may have to do with the "lost" 6 lbs. Maybe he will get me a good price on a rvx-620. We will see.

------------------

My HTS:

HTR is the "commidity" mass market line from Yamy. The RXV is a step up.

I try to keep things simple and keep just one audio signal going through my preamp at a time; no video.

My old Sony TV has only one S Video input so I use A Terk video switcher for about $40.

Watts rating on receivers are deceptive; one of the more knowledgeable forum participants could probably comment better than I.

Wattage needs to double for every 1 db increase in SPL as I remember. The availiable current for the dynamics of the source material is a factor in amp quality.

Robustness of the transformer perhaps is more influential than manufacturer rated watts to aid in satisfying system sound quality.

Just a couple of quick additions to the post:

Have you listened to a yammy with your speakers or at least with Klipsch yet? Although I have not either, their have been posts in the past about the yammy's being a little too bright with our already accurate speakers. Also, current is a major influence in sound quality, it is as important as wattage. Power is kind of like water going through a hose. Our Klipsch speakers don't require a whole lot, but having the extra current available when needed is a must have. High current is like having a fire hose and low current is like having a garden hose. Which one do you think will have more water available when needed? The SPL on one Cornwall speaker at one meter would be 116.5 dbs when the Outlaw (or similar high current amp source) runs out of juice. That is pretty damn loud. I have an old (15years) HK550I stereo reciever and I have yet to have a clipping problem with its 45 watts and +/- 30 amps of current. My guess is that the HTR units will have 20 to 25 amps of current or less, even at 100 watts. That is probably the weight difference in the RXV and HTR, a bigger toriodial transformer. All that being said I have steered a couple of my friends toward yammy's in the past. In both cases they did not have Klipsch (Paradigm and B&W). The yammy's fit the bill for both of them. Whatever you buy, just make sure you have a money back guarantee. Better yet, try to audition the unit or a similar one before purchase. It sounds like this is a very important purchase for your systems, as it should be, so take your time and make sure you are comfortable with the purchase.

JT

Forget spec comparisons ... the Outlaw 1050 has been designated as "high end" by Stereophile Guide to Home Theater that awarded it their Editor's Choice Gold Award for 2002. It's got high quality "guts". And it works great with Heritage speakers and with reference speakers. Or probably anything - but only buy it if you want high quality sound or great customer service - if you want to impress your friends with hyped up specs or appearance - and deal with unhelpful sales people - get something else. Just don't play your system for someone discerning.

------------------

Soundog's HT Systems

This message has been edited by soundog on 12-15-2001 at 02:38 PM

Sounddog,

You are correct Outlaw Audio service and product performance are excellent. If I did not find a sweet deal on Sherwood Newcastle separates I would have bought the 1050.

Unless you experience it; mail order often has better service than a store front. I have never heard of a customer that Outlaw did not bend over backwards to make them happy. I bought a Rava sub mail order from Adireaudio.com for $ 399 that is an excellent value and various accessories from Audioadvisor.com. Both companies staffs are very knowledgeable.

Working with department stores or electronics superstores is almost always a frustrating experience(Sams or Costco are OK).

The Outlaw 1050 is a very low risk mail order puchase.

Just another quick point. The stated power for the 620 does not say anything about all channels being driven at the same time. Also, it looks like you would have to manually switch between 8 and 4 ohms. This always brings attention, because of the implication that there could be damage to the amp or speakers if you try to run 4ohm speakers in 8 ohm mode. The only way damage can happen when this is done is through lack of power or current (the level of abuse won't have to be as high to damage the equipment). By switching the receiver over to 4 ohm mode it must have some sort of power boost. I am not sure what it does, but maybe it pulls more of its power from lower class amplification. Yammy does not list the current amp's on the manual spec sheet. Have you guys checked out the lower end Denon's? They have some nice gear for the buck.

Too late for me. I already ordered the yammie. Thanks though!

------------------

My system thus far:

1980 Cornwalls (mains)

1990 Heresy II's (rears)

2001 KLF-C7 (center)

2001 KSW15 (Subwoofer)

Kenwood DV402 (DVD)