Chomping at the bit . . .

Allan Songer

OK - WTH? Is that Craig's new amp? [:|] But it's got BLACK TRANSFORMERS! ???? I've been squawking about that for over a year. I want black on my VRDs! I've even come up with all sorts of ways in my head that I could paint them without screwing things up. Wow. And..... WTH??? What's up with the prettily shaped tubes? And... the 2 center tubes that I thought were rectifiers are the SAME SHAPE as the others flanking them?

Craig actually made something pretty! [:o] I have to go find the thread that explains these things. Those aren't KT88's right? Cuz Allan, I thought you were not a fan of KT88's so they must be something else.

Oh so many wheels spinning in my head right now.

EDIT - Or am I wrong and that isn't Craig's amp? LOL

Yeah, thats the new Stereo amp from NOS Valves. I built and finished the base and painted the transformer bells myself and provided the stainless bolts for them. Craig let me do this 'cause we're old buds!

The outputs are 350B (the Valve Art version) and the rectifiers are old American 5U4G.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well.... I'm going to have to backtrack a bit and give Allan the props for the pretty department. Those tubes are adorable! I probably can't use them in my VRDs, but I'll be googling them Like a Beast!

Allan, can you please explain why you chose the 350b, and why you're not a fan of the KT88? Maybe I'm missing the boat on this. And, any elaboration on the painting deal would be appreciated. Gosh I wish I could hear this thing in my home to compare with my VRDs. How fun would that be? Congratulations Allan.... it looks very nice!

You can send your VRDs back to Craig and he can configure them to run with 350B NO PROBLEM.

I think the really nice 6L6 type tubes are much sweeter and warmer sounding tube than the KT-88--at least in my limited experience.

One thing, though--your VRDs will make considerably less power with the 350B--probably wont make more than 40-45 watts each.

Wow, that is beautiful. Excuse my wood ignorance. Is that mahogany?

Nice work on the insides too. Like a work of art in there.

What a great piece to have in your office. What are the other components in your office you're mating this with?

Mahogany with 15 coats of hand rubbed lacquer. The rest of the office system will consist of a Conrad Johnson PV10B preamp, a Linn LP12/Ittok/Lingo/Trampolin/Adikt, a Conrad Johnson DV-2b tube output CD player and a pair of Linn Kan speakers. Should be pretty nice.

Thats one fine lookingadget Allan. Who did all the rubbin?

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

BTW SS Guy, I have vintage McIntosh SS and new BAT tube gear. Both are hooked up with Cornwalls. All depends on the music bud!

Ok! The pic in (Nos Valves gets some press) is the one I look at every day. Different tubes of coarse and after a week of running the beast very pretty in all aspects. The SS reflects light really nice but at 65 lbs. you don't want to be moving it alot. I'm in the prosses of putting it all together right now and God willing I'll try to post some pics later today.

Thanks Craig, Mike

• 1 month later...