Good preamp for 2 channel audio

J Tanman

I am looking for a good clean preamp for 2 channel music only that is $1000 or less. Ideally I would like to find a way to have some sort of bass management/active crossover so that I can send a limited frequency range to the main amps and a separate signal to the sub amps. Does this exist outside of a digital HT preamp? Thanks for any suggestions.

Never seen what you are looking for (but that doesnt mean it doesnt exist). Why dont you just wire the mains through the Sub? Most subs allow you to do this and you can then use the crossover on the sub for bass management.

This would make it easier for you to find a decent pre-amp - there are many choices in that price range.

------------------

2 * Heresy 2 (mains)

2 * Homemade horn speakers (rears)

1 * REL Strata 3 sub

Accuphase E211 amp.

Tube monoblocks with separate pre-amp (solid state).

Marantz CD6000 player

Sony NS900 SACD/DVD player

Stax Headphones

Humax 5400 digital satellite receiver

Sharp Video

32" Sony flat screen 16:9 TV

Mogami interconnects

Silver Synergistic speaker cable

quote:

Originally posted by J Tanman:

I am looking for a good clean preamp for 2 channel music only that is $1000 or less. Ideally I would like to find a way to have some sort of bass management/active crossover so that I can send a limited frequency range to the main amps and a separate signal to the sub amps. Does this exist outside of a digital HT preamp? Thanks for any suggestions.

Proton preamps generally have one high-pass output and one low-pass output, with a 75Hz x-over frequency, along their full-range output.

Anyway you could use any preamp and use an active x-over.

Max, I forgot about that! Unfortunately, I am using a separate rack amplifier for SVS subs which doesn't have any crossover network. Any good priced suggestions for an active crossover? How about any good suggestions for a typical two channel preamp that is of high quality and under $1000? Thanks.