Pet Food Recall AGAIN!

meagain

Mungkiman - Excellent news! Boy that's a big dog! Do you think the potatoe formula has enough protein in it? I see it has 21%. Kinda lowish?

At least the good thing coming out of this is people are so much more aware and paying attention to what crap is in their pets food and are moving away towards higher-end or homemade. What's frightening also? Some of the foods (Science Diet Prescription formulas) which are ONLY sold through Vets and are prescribed for various ailments such as kidney issues, were part of the recall causing kidney failure. Customer thinks it's some super-special food that's going to help cure fluffy and it's tainted? I can't imagine how bad the vets feel about this. Gosh this pisses me off. I'm not getting why all these funky grains are in the foods anyway. Cats & dogs are carnivores. I feel bad for having no clue they were importing food product from China. CHINA!?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know enough about nutrition, canine or human. The Venison
and rice formula was 22% protein, and the Fish and potato formula is
21%. Not a big difference, and for the most part he has been very
healthy. The vet did mention an elevated Lipase(?) count, indicative of
too much fat in the diet, potentially. He has never had bloodwork done
before, so there is no baseline to compare it to, but the new is 10%
fat compared to the old of 12%.

The test results were indeed excellent news. Thanks!

"...no worries there." is what I used to say, because I only fed my
pooch Avoderm or Natural Balance. Both highly regarded foods, and
neither on the "list" until now. The supplier of the rice protien to
Natural Balance also supplied the same protien to 4 other manufacturers
that, last I checked, had not yet been identified.

The
title, "Commercial dog food", seems a misnomer, as I can apparently buy
Flint River products here in Oregon. Avoderm and Natural Balance are
commercially available, but I can't lump them in with the WalMart
brands. Human Grade food doesn't mean what it used to, either.
Hopefully no other brands/flavors are affected, but if they are, may we
learn of them soon.

Pay attention to your pets, people, they know how they feel, and I bet they try to communicate their feelings to you.

meagain, that picture was taken when he was about 90 lbs., at one
year. When he got to 100 lbs., the vet suggested I take him off the
puppy food, as he could potentially grow for 2 more years! The guess,
partially, is Mastiff. Crazy, that he maintains 105 lbs. on 3-3.5 cups
of dry food a day, no treats.

Mungkiman,

I believe Flint River is made in California. It isn't your typically comercially sold dog food. While I purchase mine at a dog training facility, they order theirs through the mail (These folks are into holistic type foods, remidies, and of course raw, etc).

I am not aware if one can by it off the shelf, but you never know. What I do know is that is it all natural with no presertives. I am assuming (you know what that means[;)]) that they are not importing their ingredients.

While it is consistintly ranked as one of the top foods for pets, you just never know....kinda like the chicken nugget, or processed fish stick!

Many of the brands mention proir to my post I would have never guessed would be tainted, especially Natural Way... Even Hill's was mentioned.

I have lost several dogs over the past few years. They were both aging and both had cancer. While talking to dog breeder (the real ones, not back yard guys) they have made the comment that cancer has run rampant in pets. They mostly believe it's from poor quality dog food. Others have pointed to over innoculation additionally.

A few years back a product a well know drug manafacturer made (Rimidyl) a product for pain. It was later found out that this same drug caused organ failure. I almost lost my dog while he was on it. I personally took him off of it while the vet I used to use told me basically I was crazy. a year later this same large drug producer settled over $1,000 cases in a class action suit.

It's a shame there is not an FDA or somthing like that for pet products. However I can't complain when we still don't have a cure for cancer. Let the research money go there and don't dilute needed capitol for our pet's. That's a sad statement for me as I am a MAJOR dog lover!

I don't know what to buy anymore. My cats have always been on dry food. Iams swears theirs is safe and not affected......so I have stuck with it through this. I typically try to vary the brands within reason to give them a variety. But I quit doing that.

Now they say the corn gluten is contaminated. That's in almost all the dry food and dry cat treats.

Last night I was in the store reading labels for about 20 minutes. Totally confusing and probably misleading.

If my cats get sick, it will be because of Iams dry food. But I can tell you that all 3 seem to be just fine....and I'm keeping my fingers crossed. We've had 2 of them for 10 years and 1 for 5 years.

Did you know:

" A few years ago, 3,500 dogs died in Venezuela as a result of a bad ingredient in a major US pet food brand and yet very few heard about it. In this current case 13 cats and 1 dog have died, and its the biggest story our industry has seen in decades. Not to downplay the current epidemic, which has effected countless animals. But one has to wonder if isolated incidents like this occur all the time and remain unreported either to the media or the FDA. If it werent for the vets who reported these cases, and the officials who connected the dots its possible this contamination may have never come to light. "

You can stop wringing your hands with just one decision. Make your own dog food. I have a four year old female toy poodle and I have been making her food for her entire life. No matter what you've heard or thought, making your own dog food is not hard at all, nor overly time consuming, nor more costly than purchased dog food. My dog food consists of raw (yes RAW) meat (vary among ground beef, ground turkey, and ground chicken), raw vegtables (except corn), and a vitamina dn mineral heavy mix which I purchase. I mkae up a batch about every other week and place daily portions in containers in the freezer. I keep about two or three portions in the refridge and microwave them to just room temp. before feeding Angel (the dog's name, not a real angel). She practically inhales the food in just one minute or two. She loves it and is always healthy and vital.

Here is where I get my mix. http://www.sojos.com/index.html (I am just an ordinary person, not affiliated with Sojos in any way)<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

You will find that it is easy to make the food. Not time consuming. The only requirement is that the food must remain refridgerated or frozen before use. And physologically you will sleep better at night and really feel good about feeding natural foods to you dog.

Here is a Sojo article on the current problem. http://by102fd.bay102.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/getmsg?msg=31FCD16D-742E-42BD-AB3F-0C3D72CA8BC4&start=0&len=20604&msgread=1&imgsafe=y&curmbox=00000000%2d0000%2d0000%2d0000%2d000000000001&a=46561821ae7fc16b151dc66341351639439d4696de6f24efb498698660eedebe

I do hope that some of you at least try this as I am a true believer that it is the very best way to feed your dog.

Here are some pics of Angel. Isn't she as cute as an Angel?

post-25219-13819330374848_thumb.jpg

Mark! Iams is about the worst food you could buy! Forget the recall (though they ARE involved with the recall and IMO - due to that wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole.....

But look at the first 4 ingredients in their Adult dry chicken flavor:
Chicken, Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Grits, Corn Meal. It's pure CR*P. By-products? AND as the 2nd ingredient? and Corn? Corn is sh*t. Not to mention all the little accoutremonts in the list. This is a horrible quality food.

Here's some more fun info about this POS food company: http://www.iamscruelty.com/index.asp

Gosh I'd get them off that garbage ASAP. [:o]

Roc,

While I agree that making their food is the best, and not too much trouble, it would seem that it has caused a growth of some sort on your dog. Maybe even a fungus. It looks almost like a woven polyester type thing that has engulfed her back and chest.

They are known as "wings" and only true Angels have them.

Thanks for noticing.

ROC,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

We feed all our dogs RAW. IMO it is the only way to go. Our 12 yr old Mal was sliding down a slippery slope pretty quickly, the transition to RAW improved her Arthritic elbow by promoting weight loss, she lost her doggy breath , and her overall activity level increased dramatically. She has had colitis issues her entire life, we were feeding her prescription dog food as a result and all it did was basically hold a weak status quo. We switched to RAW, arthritis no longer problematic, her colitis issues completely disappeared. She has been on RAW for nearly a year now and is a very different dog. We feed our 1 yr old Mal Raw as well as our new Mal puppy. We make our own too, you can buy RAW commercially but we make our own because we can tailor the diet to the dog. I think what most folks dont realize is dogs metabolize protein and fat for energy the same way humans do CHO. Commercially extruded food has way to much CHO and tons of preservatives. If I had to feed dog food the only thing Id consider would be Enova. However seeing how healthy my dogs are Ill stick with RAW. The only precaution I take is to do a yearly blood panel to ensure the nutrients are sufficient.

ROC,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

We feed all our dogs RAW. IMO it is the only way to go. Our 12 yr old Mal was sliding down a slippery slope pretty quickly, the transition to RAW improved her Arthritic elbow by promoting weight loss, she lost her doggy breath , and her overall activity level increased dramatically. She has had colitis issues her entire life, we were feeding her prescription dog food as a result and all it did was basically hold a weak status quo. We switched to RAW, arthritis no longer problematic, her colitis issues completely disappeared. She has been on RAW for nearly a year now and is a very different dog. We feed our 1 yr old Mal Raw as well as our new Mal puppy. We make our own too, you can buy RAW commercially but we make our own because we can tailor the diet to the dog. I think what most folks dont realize is dogs metabolize protein and fat for energy the same way humans do CHO. Commercially extruded food has way to much CHO and tons of preservatives. If I had to feed dog food the only thing Id consider would be Enova. However seeing how healthy my dogs are Ill stick with RAW. The only precaution I take is to do a yearly blood panel to ensure the nutrients are sufficient.

You know it just makes so much good sense. Dogs are still basically wild animals.

When I got Angel four years ago I did considerable research on dog diet and decided to try raw meat, raw vegtables, and a vitamin & mineral rich mix. I must admit that the raw meat idea did scare me but I tried it and it worked out wonderfully. I vary the meat from batch to batch. Ground beef, then ground chicken, then ground turkey. She loves all of it. I also try to vary the veggies but NO CORN. It makes me feel so good to know that I am providing the very best food for her. After all, I eat it too so life is now simpler. BTW, no table scraps. It's too uncontrolled and dependent on what you had for dinner rather then planned food for the dog.

Always remember than your pet is totally dependent on you for her nourishment. She trusts you completely.

Just so that we can tie this back to Klipsch, Angel is also an avid Audiophile who just happens to prefer Klipsch speakers, McIntosh control and amplification and JL Audio subwooferage. Her only problem is finding earphones that fit properly.