Pet Food Recall AGAIN!

meagain

Almost as much fun as dressing a dog in wings...

Ho, Ho, Ho. and Ha, Ha, Ha

Boy do you have a good memory.

Angel sends you her love. BTW, she thanks me every day for making her food from HUMAN ingredients. They do depend on us, you know.

Now when the humans begin dropping like flies, then I will really be worried. It will be "home grown" everything at that point.

Roc,

Very funny cartoons!

As far as the human ingredients go...I had the pleasure [8-)]of seeing Supersize America the other night. Funny thing is I wouldn't feed my dog a Big Mac, but I'll eat one!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Almost as much fun as dressing a dog in wings...

Ho, Ho, Ho. and Ha, Ha, Ha

Boy do you have a good memory.

Angel sends you her love. BTW, she thanks me every day for making her food from HUMAN ingredients. They do depend on us, you know.

Now when the humans begin dropping like flies, then I will really be worried. It will be "home grown" everything at that point.

Roc,

Very funny cartoons!

As far as the human ingredients go...I had the pleasure [8-)]of seeing Supersize America the other night. Funny thing is I wouldn't feed my dog a Big Mac, but I'll eat one!

God, isn't that the truth. Sometimes I'm not sure which is the smarter species, man or dog.

At 104 pounds, a quick snack translates into about 3 cups of dry food, twice a day.

He actually enjoys playing with small dogs, getting down on his belly with legs outstretched, and using only his head to play. With big dogs, it's more like watching Sumo wrestling!

• 2 weeks later...

More and more these days were hearing about pets being considered part of the family. They sleep in our beds, we dress them in clothes, they ride in the front seat and yet they dont eat our food. Why is this? Although in our hearts, we feel like our companion animals are like our own children and the commercial pet food industry would like us to believe that pet food is as healthy as the food we eat, the fact is pet food companies have decided for us that companion animals dont deserve to eat food that is as good as our food. Thats why most pet food contains feed-grade ingredients instead of human-grade, by-products instead of whole ingredients, and other things that would be illegal to sell as human food.

So what exactly does it mean for an ingredient to be feed-grade? Basically feed-grade ingredients are those deemed not fit for human consumption. In other words, ingredients that dont qualify as human-grade. They include expired food, defective food, moldy food, and by-products. By-products are the waste that is left after the production of ingredients for the human food chain. It is the damaged or defective material produced during or left over from a manufacturing or industrial process. When you eat a bowl of peanuts at home, the shells go in the garbage. But at the peanut plant, theyre sometimes sold to pet food manufacturers and wind up in your beloved dog or cats dish. Other examples include grain hulls, corn husks, middlings, peels, dust, stems, hair, and other waste products.

A quick look at the AAFCO (Association of American Feed Control Officials) handbook gives you a glimpse into some of the ingredients that are sanctioned for use in commercial pet food. Imagine any of these ingredients at your dinner table carcass meat trimmings, carcass residue, charcoal, spray-dried animal blood, processed animal waste, raw leather residue, animal digest and the list goes on. This is not to say that these ingredients are present in every commercial pet food. But it does illustrate that the governing body commissioned to regulate pet food companies may not have your pets best interests in mind. The recent pet food recall has brought to light that some producers of animal feed have secretly supplemented their feed with a substance called melamine. Melamine, which is derived from coal, was intentionally added to wheat gluten to make it appear to have a higher protein content. This illustrates the worst-case scenario of what can happen when profits are put ahead of the health and well-being of your pets.

The good news is that there are a few companies that only use human-quality ingredients in their pet foods. The benefits behind using only human-quality ingredients are many. For one, testing protocols for human-quality ingredients are far more stringent than they are for feed-grade ingredients. Secondly, human-quality ingredients do not include any waste or out-dated fragments of anything not fit for human consumption. They are screened for contaminants, visually inspected, and tested for nutritional content before entering the human food chain. This insures that human-quality ingredients are robust and chock-full of naturally-occurring nutrients and enzymes.

The bad news is that currently AAFCO rules do not allow the term human-quality ingredients on pet food. The official reason is that there is worry that humans will mistakenly or intentionally eat the food. One has to wonder if it has more to do with large commercial pet food companies not wanting smaller companies that use human-grade ingredients to have a competitive advantage. However, even though it cant be stated on the package, you can always contact pet food companies and ask them if they use human-quality ingredients. Thus far it is not illegal to let customers know that your ingredients are human-quality on websites, promotional literature, or over the phone. That way you can ensure that your furry little children are getting nothing but the best ingredients that mother nature has to offer.

pixel.gif

pixel.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Who is to blame for this ?

The importers of the junk,and those who buy the crap load of cheap manure they want your animals to eat. Laws are so soft here it is angering,those who close eyes signing and approving this poison should be jailed.

Yeah outsource everything...yeah...it is cheaper! Smart move huh...yes very smart when you will be eating this poison it will be as smart as it will get.

Block all imports from the countries who produce and export this poison,let them eat their own poison and choke on it.

In the PRC MANY MANY of those in place to keep an eye are BRIBED and rich,they could pass rat poison as quality pet food and care less. I was told by people who lived there a BRIBE is all it takes and you can produce canned poison with baby food labels.

Do you think they care you are Am Eric Khan...Can Aid Ian ....ha they dont care who you are they are there to make business,and money talks way louder than your health. And pets...ha could they care less if they fed them Plutonium.It is a savage new market where anything goes to manufacture more crap and overflow the market.And the greedy Western slob will kiss up and do anything to fill his pockets fast too.

Sad truth

HI guys! I recommend to all of you to go to healthy pet net on the internet and order food from them. I have the cat food, both dry and canned and it works very well. They are not involved in any of the recalls. They ship right away and there is no mess, it is like regular dry and canned dog and cat food. I can't recommend it highly enough! It is very, very easy to use. Good Luck! My cat is a happy cat......

I may need to choose another food as one of my cats is getting up there in age and his BUN & Creatinine levels are a tad over the high end of normal. Innova EVO is high protein. 50%. I feel I'd like to lower the protein a tad to go a bit easier on the kidneys. It could be an anomaly and he does have an anal gland issue that erupted (2nd time for him - unusual in cats!).... I'll probably look at the regular Innova again but they prefer the EVO to that so much. Well, finding a new food to try will be a major research project. I wish I knew for sure if I need to change his food. :(

Spkrdctr - I'll check out your food. I don't recall hearing that name before.