Pet Food Recall AGAIN!

meagain

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few of these foods claim 'human grade' meats, etc. It's my understanding by-products are not human grade. I mean, unless one goes to 100% home made, one has to try to zero in on the best one can do research as best as possible and surf forums for opinions/results of the foods. Otherwise Mas - taking suggestions.

100% home made is the safest and best bet.

It is not as hard nor as inconvenient as you might think.

Try it and see.

PhilMays I am so so sorry to hear about the loss of your dog. You have my sincere condolences.

Time will help some but never take away all of the pain.

So sorry

Hi Roc, That loss was several years ago, so he's just a very fond memory now! Thanks!

I did run over our Kat a few weeks back. I hated it, but I'm a dog person.....

PhilMays I am so so sorry to hear about the loss of your dog. You have my sincere condolences.

Time will help some but never take away all of the pain.

So sorry

Hi Roc, That loss was several years ago, so he's just a very fond memory now! Thanks!

I did run over our Kat a few weeks back. I hated it, but I'm a dog person.....

Good for you. I hate cats. They are just too catty.

Thought I'd post this recall (of the almost daily recalls out there) because many moved to this brand recently thinking it was ok. I'm sure Corn is next.

Natural Balance recalls more products ? this time canned. Same ingredient (rice protein concentrate) different manufacturer (American Nutrition). Products recalled are:

* Chicken Formula Canned Dog Food 13 oz
* Lamb Formula Canned Dog Food 13 oz
* Beef Formula Canned Dog Food 13 oz
* Ocean Fish Formula Canned Cat Food 3 oz & 6 oz

A few of these foods claim 'human grade' meats, etc. It's my understanding by-products are not human grade. I mean, unless one goes to 100% home made, one has to try to zero in on the best one can do research as best as possible and surf forums for opinions/results of the foods. Otherwise Mas - taking suggestions.

100% home made is the safest and best bet.

It is not as hard nor as inconvenient as you might think.

Try it and see.

We were feeding our dogs a natural food from teh vet that helps with their allergies. When I heard that more foods were beign added I had to argue with my wife to switch to natural or "raw" She resisted at first but we both have preparred it. After we started they have added more food. Now she is glad that we switched. The funny thing is that the raw diet is actually cheaper than the food we were feeding them.

Here is what you do. Buy a big bag of potatoes, a bag of carrots and boneless/skinless chicken brests. You can catch teh chicked brests on sale for $1.70 a pound (here in Las Vegas). Stock up on the chicken when it is on sale and freeze it.

To prepare, put the whole bag of chicken in a pot of water and boil it until the meat is white. The potatoes and carrots just get chopped up small and boiled together. No need to peel either (make sure you use brown potatoes - I think dogs cannot eat the red skins). When the carrots are soft it is ready.

Refrigerate the potatoes and carrots. Take the chicken and cut it up into small pieces. Refrigerate some and freeze the rest. Then feed your dogs once a day. Put some potatoes and chicken in a bowl, heat until warm and feed. The dogs will love it. We have three dogs. Our little chubby one has lost weight too. When you run low on chicken, take more out of the freezer. The potatoes and carrots should last a week in the fridge so this is a once a week task. My wife and I both work and we find time for this. This is our plan until the mess is resolved. We may need to add vitamins if this goes on for a while.

You will need to add vitamins if you are not including a supplemental mix like the ones found here: http://www.sojos.com/index.html

It is actually best not to cook the meat or vegtables. Raw ground beef, chicken and turkey mixed with raw vegtables (except corn) and a supplemental mix has been my dogs diet for over 4 years and so I recommentd it to all who want to try homemade.

This is getting depressing. FDA announced there should be no more recalls. Since then, there have been 6 more. There are no rice protein, wheat gluten, or corn in some of these foods below!

Friday's are always big recall days. Chicken Soup is supposed to be a higher octave food. Again, Many switched to it. Gosh, I hope pet owners are checking the lists each day. A good site is www.itchmo.com They have a spot where you can dump an email in a box to get alerts. I fed mine canned Chicken Soup about a month ago.

"We write this update with a heavy heart. Itchmo suggested avoiding
rice protein what we didnt know was that many ingredient lists were
misleading. The ingredient labels did not list rice protein. In fact, ingredient lists can no longer be trusted leaving the consumer with little chance at avoiding high-risk ingredients.

Recalls Within the Last 24 Hours:

Well, it just keeps getting worse (and more complicated). Many of these food companies outsource the manufacture of their foods. Some have their dry mfg'd by one company, and their canned by another. Of course, the brands don't list this on the cans, bags, and even their websites.

In the last couple of days, it's been proven that at least one manufacturing plant is adding ingredients for these customers (various brands) that include ingredients they're not supposed to. This would be American Nutrition. They apparently have been putting Rice Protein/flour/whatever into the foods without approval or consent. Since it was done on the sly, the labels show no suspect ingredients - but have them in!

Now we've reached the point where reading labels isn't enough. It's been proven to be useless. I would avoid all foods manufactured by American Nutrition first off, then foods made by Diamond and of course Menu Foods. No matter what plant or area of the country because it's been shown these plants re-sell and ship plant to plant and at least in the case of Menu, they keep horrifying records and have no clue what's going on. Friday, the FDA 'raided' the KS Menu Foods plant and the NV offices of ChemNutra.

I'm sticking with my Innova EVO dry which is made at their own plant and is grain free.

In other fun melamine news: "Officials at the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the Food and Drug
Administration expect that approximately 6,000 hogs, now under quarantine,
will be euthanized even as they announced that the likelihood of illness after
eating pork from the animals is very low. The affected hogs are in California,
North Carolina, South Carolina, New York, Kansas, Oklahoma and Utah.
Last weekend, the California Department of Food and Agriculture traced
shipments of hogs that may have eaten the feed contaminated with melamine, a
chemical found in the tainted pet food and associated with numerous pet
deaths and illnesses, to a farm that in turn sold hogs to a meat vendor.
California officials have contacted the approximately 45 people who
purchased hogs from two custom slaughter facilities before the quarantine.
Most consumers said they had already eaten the pork, said Steve Lyle, a
spokesman for the California Department of Food and Agriculture. Health
officials in California have called the risk to humans "minimal."
The USDA's Food Safety and Inspection Service continues to investigate
whether any of up to 300 potentially affected hogs have been slaughtered and
turned into pork for sale in grocery stores."

The FDA last said there are no plans to recall pork because it's not been scientifically proven that eating pigs that ate melamine is bad for you. LOL The FDA is now investigating vegetable proteins, etc. to see if this stuff has gotten into protein bars, cereals, frozen pizza, etc.

This is getting depressing. FDA announced there should be no more recalls. Since then, there have been 6 more. There are no rice protein, wheat gluten, or corn in some of these foods below!

Friday's are always big recall days. Chicken Soup is supposed to be a higher octave food. Again, Many switched to it. Gosh, I hope pet owners are checking the lists each day. A good site is www.itchmo.com They have a spot where you can dump an email in a box to get alerts. I fed mine canned Chicken Soup about a month ago.

"We write this update with a heavy heart. Itchmo suggested avoiding rice protein what we didnt know was that many ingredient lists were misleading. The ingredient labels did not list rice protein. In fact, ingredient lists can no longer be trusted leaving the consumer with little chance at avoiding high-risk ingredients.

Recalls Within the Last 24 Hours:

Blue Buffalo recalls all canned dog and cat food, plus treats.

Natural Balance recalls more foods.

Chicken Soup For the Pet Lovers Soul recalled.

Diamond pet food recalled. (See link above)

Costcos Kirkland brand canned food recalled.

Lick Your Chops brand recalled. (See link above)"

I don't see homemade on your list. Does that mean that if you use homemmade food you run no risk of this problem?

If this is true then we can stop spending time on this subject can't we?

Dozens more foods added tonight http://www.itchmo.com/go/tagged/safety/

Cross-contamination.

Meanwhile:

"NEW YORK (CNN) -- People have eaten millions of chickens that
were given feed tainted with recalled pet food, federal officials said
Tuesday, though they said the threat to human health is minimal.
The
announcement came after an investigation of chicken farms in Indiana
found that 38 of the facilities had given contaminated feed to poultry
raised for human consumption, and that 2.5 million to 3 million people
ate them."

It's funny that the FDA says humans eating melamine poisoned livestock's risk to health is "minimal". When they also said they've not tested this. :)

Time to BBQ!!!

Almost as much fun as dressing a dog in wings...

Ho, Ho, Ho. and Ha, Ha, Ha

Boy do you have a good memory.

Angel sends you her love. BTW, she thanks me every day for making her food from HUMAN ingredients. They do depend on us, you know.

Now when the humans begin dropping like flies, then I will really be worried. It will be "home grown" everything at that point.