placement of surround with rs7

gandalf

Hello,

I will have a pair of rs-7 for my surround and i would like to know the best placement for this dipolar woofer.

My probleme is that my sofa is put in the back wall, so i have only 1-1.5m to the sides.

What is better 0,45 or 90 degres orientation to the back wall ?

Thanks, and sorry for my poor english... Wink.gif

The manual for the Dennon AVR-5800 includes speaker placement recommendations.

For movie viewing with diffusion type speakers (that have the shape of RS-7s in the diagram) the manual says to place them like this:

same distance apart as mains- directly at the side or slightly to the front of the listening position- 60-90 cm. above the ears- pointing directly at the ears.

Ok so, if i anderstood, it's better to put in the middle of my lateral wall between the front and the back wall (like rear) even if i havent surround(side) woofer ?

I'll project in first time to place it in the location of my surround, so bad idee... ? Confused.gif

------------------

front : KLF30

center : KLF-C7

surround : rs7 (not yet)

preamp:Myryad MDP500

1 Nad 216 (bridged for C7)

4 Nad 214 for bi-wiring KLF30

I don't understand you completely.

I would place the speaker against the side wall, between front and back, so it lines up with the most common viewing position, woofer directly facing the viewer.

I don't think that a subwoofer has anything to do with it, I think you would set this up as a "small speaker" with bass management.

LesHalles : I do not spoken about subwoofer ??

decible man : I saw what preconized Dolby but they speak about booksheld surround not bipolar one. I think there is a big difference between them for placement no ?

I will do several testing and i will see :-)

thanks for your help ;-)

------------------

front : KLF30

center : KLF-C7

surround : rs7 (not yet)

preamp:Myryad MDP500

1 Nad 216 (bridged for C7)

4 Nad 214 for bi-wiring KLF30

Our RS-7's (along with our other surround specific speakers) are not actually true bipolar. Bipolar speakers have drivers approximately 180 degrees from each other radiating sound in opposite directions. We identify our surrounds as WDST (for Wide Dispersion Surround Technology). Each of the two horn loaded driver's radiates in a 90 degree horizontal pattern on their own. The two combined (not radiating opposite of each other) radiate 180 degrees to provide excellent ambience. Because their radiation pattern is not dependant on wall reflections (like bipolar and especially dipolar speakers) they have many more placement options plus they are able to create localized sounds the other types cannot.

Gandalf, if you cannot put them on the sides of your listening area, I would put them above your listening position on the back wall. Since they radiate sound 60 degrees vertically, you may need to angle them down a bit to make sure the effects don't fly over your head.

PhilH