OT Southern BBQ Ribs

seti

I'll agree on Simm's!!! Lookin' good for possibly Christmas with family and hopefully the March trip to Hope with my son. He really liked the Simm's BBQ chicken!! 10 year olds love chicken, in any form.... Just about got him to eat other meat, but he still insists on chicken whenever he can get it.

BTW, What's around Hope in the way of BBQ places?

Let us know when your in town.

We are taking a group from NYC to Simm's this week. Should be fun.

• 8 months later...

Spent a couple of nights in Memphis this week just to have some time away with the wife. We had intended on checking out Neeley's Interstate BBQ, but changed our minds after visiting with a Memphis fire fighter. We had stopped for gas at a C-Store and there was a fire fighter / paramedic crew getting gas and snacks in the store. First I was asking directions, but when this fellow told me about Commisary BBQ in Germantown, I decided to check it out. He said when he gets BBQ he either goes to the Rendevous or Commisary. He just didn't care much for Interstate BBQ, which we had seen on the food channel.

Jan and I shared what they call the Big Man's platter, which has a choice of any three meets and sides. Our platter had a nice servinog of pulled port, half rack of ribs and half a smoked chicken, plus an extra drumstick. The plate came with slaw and BBQ beans. We also ordered "pig chips" which is a plate of the Commisary's freshly made home made potato chips sprinkled with BBQ rub. Those were very good.

The presentation knocked me out. The ribs and chicken were cooked to perfection. It's hard as heck not to get things cooked right on smoke and NOT get the meat too dark. The ribs had a light finishing sauce and were actually quite similar to the Whole Hog Cafe in Little rock. The chicken was lightly browned and very good. The pulled port was the best consistency I've ever tasted. Succulent pork with a little brown in the mix. The pulled pork was tender anything, but not over cooked and NOT the least greasy. I don't know how they did that. Boston Butts have just got a fair amount of fat on them. The only thing I would have preferred with the pulled pork was a more robust rub, but that's just a quibble. All in all, very good. And the table service was very good. Quite a hospitable crew there. Also, fun, there is a Union Pacific railroad track in the back yard, so it is fairly likely you'll get to see a freight train go past.

http://www.commissarybbq.com/

I forgot to post here after my friends from NYC visited Simm's.They were blown away and said they had no bbq to compare in NY. It was funny they got tshirts and bbq to go.

Dee,

Yeah Commissary is where I was told to go but I got lost the last time I was there and missed out. I'll have to try to get there again. It sounds great.

First I was asking directions, but when this fellow told me about Commisary BBQ in Germantown, I decided to check it out. He said when he gets BBQ he either goes to the Rendevous or Commisary. He just didn't care much for Interstate BBQ, which we had seen on the food channel.

Jan and I shared what they call the Big Man's platter, which has a choice of any three meets and sides. Our platter had a nice servinog of pulled port, half rack of ribs and half a smoked chicken, plus an extra drumstick. The plate came with slaw and BBQ beans. We also ordered "pig chips" which is a plate of the Commisary's freshly made home made potato chips sprinkled with BBQ rub. Those were very good.

The presentation knocked me out. The ribs and chicken were cooked to perfection. It's hard as heck not to get things cooked right on smoke and NOT get the meat too dark. The ribs had a light finishing sauce and were actually quite similar to the Whole Hog Cafe in Little rock. The chicken was lightly browned and very good. The pulled port was the best consistency I've ever tasted. Succulent pork with a little brown in the mix. The pulled pork was tender anything, but not over cooked and NOT the least greasy. I don't know how they did that. Boston Butts have just got a fair amount of fat on them. The only thing I would have preferred with the pulled pork was a more robust rub, but that's just a quibble. All in all, very good. And the table service was very good. Quite a hospitable crew there. Also, fun, there is a Union Pacific railroad track in the back yard, so it is fairly likely you'll get to see a freight train go past.

I was watching the tv show, 'Man vs. Food' last night and the host was in Memphis, I believe he was at the Rendezvous. That looked like some good BBQ. I may have to try it some time.

kelA,

Indeed. You really must get to the Rendevous if you can. Charlie Vergo has been in business over 50 years. The entrance to the restaurant is in an alley across the street from the Peabody Hotel. They are closed on Monday. The ribs are served dry with no finishing sauce, though there is sauce on the side. They really are good and the ambience of the place is 1940's and they don't even have to try.

http://www.hogsfly.com/

Yep, summer is here, and my first smoke job just got finished. Picked up a slab of farm raised salmon, and a friend brought over 2 fresh caught land locked salmon, 24 hour cure on the farm raised, 12 hours on the smaller ones. Maple saw dust 1/2 from the planer (nice and course) 1/2 from the router (fine and wispy) put the electric hot plate on the bottom rack of the smoker and kept the tepm at 150 2 hours for the small ones 4 for the large slab.

this was my first time doing salmon, we used to live in Miami and could buy the best around (JIMBO'S) for dirt cheap so never needed to. This stuff came out great! We ate q good bit on crackers then picked up some guyerre (sp) fontinna, and some havarti, made a cheese sauce with some linguini, and lots of smoked salmon on top. LIFE IS GOOD

Yep, summer is here, and my first smoke job just got finished. Picked up a slab of farm raised salmon, and a friend brought over 2 fresh caught land locked salmon, 24 hour cure on the farm raised, 12 hours on the smaller ones. Maple saw dust 1/2 from the planer (nice and course) 1/2 from the router (fine and wispy) put the electric hot plate on the bottom rack of the smoker and kept the tepm at 150 2 hours for the small ones 4 for the large slab.

this was my first time doing salmon, we used to live in Miami and could buy the best around (JIMBO'S) for dirt cheap so never needed to. This stuff came out great! We ate q good bit on crackers then picked up some guyerre (sp) fontinna, and some havarti, made a cheese sauce with some linguini, and lots of smoked salmon on top. LIFE IS GOOD

Al I can say is dude!!! that sounds good.

Spent a couple of nights in Memphis this week just to have some time away with the wife. We had intended on checking out Neeley's Interstate BBQ, but changed our minds after visiting with a Memphis fire fighter. We had stopped for gas at a C-Store and there was a fire fighter / paramedic crew getting gas and snacks in the store. First I was asking directions, but when this fellow told me about Commisary BBQ in Germantown, I decided to check it out. He said when he gets BBQ he either goes to the Rendevous or Commisary. He just didn't care much for Interstate BBQ, which we had seen on the food channel.

Dee ya got me drooling here! [:P]

I forgot to post here after my friends from NYC visited Simm's.They were blown away and said they had no bbq to compare in NY. It was funny they got tshirts and bbq to go.

Dee,

Yeah Commissary is where I was told to go but I got lost the last time I was there and missed out. I'll have to try to get there again. It sounds great.

Seti,

Glad to hear a report on your NY friends at Simms.

Yeh. for a landmark, Commissary is right across the street from Germantown United Methodist Church.

All I know is that I have used the smoker 4 times this year and no left overs for the gang at the office. They are ready to hang me. I did 8lbs of pulled pork on Memorial Day 12 hamburgers on the grill with 16 hot dogs. All I got was 1 little pulled pork sandwich. There were plenty of burgers and dogs left. I was told the pulled pork was really good.

• 1 month later...

After seeing the Sim's BBQ thread and those awesome lookin ribs, I figured today was a good day to throw on some ribs of my own. I have about another hour of cook time left and I must say they are looking and smelling GREAT. This is long overdue[:D]

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...