OT Southern BBQ Ribs

seti

Favorite things to grill...lamb chops. I actually like them with a very hot flame that chars them but still leaves them rare. And if you ever have the chance to try a whole hog done in a dug-out pit, don't turn it down (probably a code violation in my neighborhood). For something different, take one bottle of Dale's marinade, one stick of butter, on bottle of clear Karo syrup and bring to a boil. Put cubes of deer tenderloin in the sauce and let chill for eight hours. Then wrap the cubes in bacon and grill. It sounds like it might not be good, but you will be amazed.

First of all I am amazed at all of the Little Rock folks on this board.  Just stumbled onto this thread, and I could write a book on BBQ and have had it all over the country.  Hate to say it, but when you consider Kansas City, Memphis, Dallas, and really anywhere else, I have yet to find a town with BBQ that can touch Little Rock.  I loved Toms, and knew the story intimately.  He was given an offer he couldn't refuse for the land and had to take it.  If you ever come to Little Rock, I certainly recommend the Whole Hog, and Sim's (but only on Arch Street with the bullet holes in the door).  I would also say don't forget the Dixie Pig in Levy.  For the festival it is Memphis in May (but it is harder to get into the BBQ contest than it once was).  And, yes, HB's is the spiritual successor to the Shack.

Welcome to the forums..

I was so sad when I heard Toms was going away that me and some friends made a trip there to eat one last time. The Sims on Arch I have not been to yet but will very soon as I usually go to the one on Barrow. I haven't been to the Dixie Pig in a while but will be putting it on the list of places to go.

I did some ribs at my mothers house with just adry rub and a day on the smoker. These were superb ribs smoked is clearly the way to go. I will be buying a smoker and trying a different method next round. 1)brine ribs for a few hours 2) rub the ribs 3) marinade overnight 4)smoke for hours starting early in the morning....

Seti,

I use a Brinkman with the firebox on the side...about $150-$175. For an inexpensive smoker, it works very well. It's stood up in the weather for over eight years now.

SSH

SSH,

I will look at that one for sure. Who carries that brand in Arkansas? I was actually using one of those $40 round barrel looking smokers lol. 

Seti,

Have you got a new cooker picked out?

Not yet but I was going to check out the Brinkman. I was looking at an inexpensive smoker. My girlfriend offered to make one so we'll see what happens.....

Seti,

Not yet but I was going to check out the Brinkman. I was looking at an inexpensive smoker. My girlfriend offered to make one so we'll see what happens.....

Wow. Your girlfriend offered to make a smoker? What a woman! I'm impressed.

I've cooked alot of meat on those little bullet type cookin cajun cookers.... the water pan over the charcoal types. You can turn out some good stuff on them. They are more of a challenge when cooking something longer than what the pan of charcoal will burn. The cookers with the firebox on the side are easier to do fire tending. They look larger, but will ususally cook about the same amount of meat. The end close to the firebox is pretty hot and meat can't be left long on the hotspot. There are some things that are nice to sear or finish on the hot spot.

Check out FOOD WARS: Barbeque on the Travel Channel (by Discovery)

June 22 @ 6 p.m.

July 12 @ 9 p.m.

July 13 @ 12 a.m.

http://travel.discovery.com/tv-schedules/special.html?paid=26.5262.105097.0.0 if you want to set up an e-mail reminder

Well, I was just flipping channels this evening and saw this in the listings. Thought, well it is probably lame, but I'll watch a few minutes of it. It completely exceeded my expectations and I hope I can watch it again with my wife. This is a pretty cool show. Warning: the following material includes spoilers.

It starts out with a history of bbq, a southern thing, tough, cheap cuts of meat which slaves and poor folks turned into delicacies. Then it features four regions of bbq and each with it's own character. First up, North Carolina. Then Memphis, Third Texas, finally KC. It features two or three restaurants in each region. Memphis, of course, majors on ribs (dry or wet) and includes the Rendevous. They serve THREE AND A HALF TONS OF RIBS EVERY WEEK!!!. Also, need to check out one of the other featured places Jimmy (somebody's) Interstate BBQ. They were also pretty high on Corky's. NC is all pulled and chopped pork with lots of whole hog cooking. Texas majored on brisket, of course. and KC BBQ is all about the sauce. Interesting enough, KC Masterpiece is a recipe developed by an MD doctor, yep. It's the best selling bbq sauce in the country. After figuring out the sauce recipe is a smash hit, he decides he needs to open up a restaurant to cook meat for the sauce.

The end, I expected to be bogus, selecting the best. The judges were a bunch of cowboys and girls from California. It really turned out to be OK. The producers did a blind test with the fourteen or so judges. Generous samples of each region were served, unidentified as to location. Each judge rated the region's bbq on a scale of one to five, five being the best. Out of a possible 70 points, here is the way the regions scored.

15 of 70 points North Carolina

27of 70 points Kansas City

30 of 70 points Texas

45 of 70 points MEMPHIS!

If anyone has the chance to record this on Tivo or DVR, it's not a bad primer on bbq.

Also, need to check out one of the other featured places Jimmy (somebody's) Interstate BBQ.

15 of 70 points North Carolina

27of 70 points Kansas City

30 of 70 points Texas

45 of 70 points MEMPHIS!

Jim Neely's Interstate BBQ http://www.jimneelysinterstatebarbecue.com/

Been there, done that. Been to Corky's. Been to Rendevous. Been to the old Public Eye. Several others.

I still say Birmingham area Q gets no respect. [*-)]

http://www.maxshores.com/bbq/holysmoke.htm

Seti,

Wow. Your girlfriend offered to make a smoker? What a woman! I'm impressed.

I've cooked alot of meat on those little bullet type cookin cajun cookers.... the water pan over the charcoal types. You can turn out some good stuff on them. They are more of a challenge when cooking something longer than what the pan of charcoal will burn. The cookers with the firebox on the side are easier to do fire tending. They look larger, but will ususally cook about the same amount of meat. The end close to the firebox is pretty hot and meat can't be left long on the hotspot. There are some things that are nice to sear or finish on the hot spot.

Well I want a smoker she wants a brick oven.... either way I win. She is a sculptor so no telling what it would look like or what I would get.

The brinkman seems like a bargain may have to give it a shot.....mmm seared smoked meat. 

"She is a sculptor so no telling what it would look like or what I would get"

Something with LOVE built in[;)] What a sweetie[:D]

So you say IB is backin' out of this weekend eh!

Well I have to send one of my MC30s back to Terry DeWick as it is making a gawd awful racket so we will reschedule for another weekend but real soon.

Ok you caught me it is a Smokey Mtn Smoker that uses propane.. It can be found here http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3342508

I love it because you get the flavor of wood and the ease of propane. I usually use a dry rub and either mesquite or Jack Daniels wood and about half way through the smoking process I use either apple juice or a mix of mostly apple juice and Jack Daniels for a spray.