OT Southern BBQ Ribs

seti

• Moderators
Meats that you might be cooking will only take smoke flavor up to a temp of about 160 F.

I heard 140 but yes your exactly right, they say the smoke ring is actually a chemical process and not just coloring from the smoke.

I'm no expert for sure but love the smoke flavor, try a meatloaf, a little foil under is good to keep it from possibly sticking or breaking up when you take it off. I try to smoke everything, to the point I have to be careful I don't wear everyone out with it. :(

Craig's has GREAT sauce. I rode my motorcycle to Craig's years ago, ate a couple of sandwiches and bought all the bottles that my bags and cases would hold- 40+. The sauce was later bottled by Con Agra, I think, or the recipe rights were sold, and it was available at our Kroger store, but it wasn't quite the same as what Craig's had bottled. When I ordered "hot" sandwiches, one of the cooks said, "Now the hot is hot."; my response was, "Burn me!". I'm glad to know they're still in business.

SSH

Sure would like this as my next motorcycle, uh, smoker......

Mobile Barbecue Pit.jpg

• Like 1

You guys just gave me a dinner idea.

Have you ever rolled up a nice "fatty" for breakfast?

This one started out as Jimmy Dean original, stuffed with a variety of cheeses, then wrapped with bacon. The smoked potatoes then were diced up and fried as a side dish.

Smoked Bacon Fatty.jpg

• Moderators
Have you ever rolled up a nice "fatty" for breakfast?

Sure have, and that one looks perfect, also I have to say your rolling job (bacon weave) looks way better than mine for sure. What's great about a fatty is the list of ingredients are endless.

Edited by dtel

Rib cooking tip: I cooked a slab of pork spare ribs yesterday for tonight's Sunday supper due to not being at home much today. So I cooked em to perfection yesterday and then refrigerated overnight. This evening about 30 minutes before eating time I put the ribs back in the smoker (hot side if you will) and warmed em back up. Every bit as good as the little taster I had yesterday if not just a little better!

• Like 1

I want to try a meatloaf and I think a pizza could really be good smoked too. Anybody got pizza smoking tips?

We have grilled pizza on a pizza stone, but haven't tried smoking one. I would think it would be too smoke saturated.

• Moderators

Rib cooking tip: I cooked a slab of pork spare ribs yesterday for tonight's Sunday supper due to not being at home much today. So I cooked em to perfection yesterday and then refrigerated overnight. This evening about 30 minutes before eating time I put the ribs back in the smoker (hot side if you will) and warmed em back up. Every bit as good as the little taster I had yesterday if not just a little better!

That's good to know, it's hard to get this stuff ready for the right time, especially with longer cooks.

• Like 1

Hey, per Dtel's recommendation I smoked a meatloaf tonight and I must say it was superb! I made a big 3lb one and smoked it for 2.5 hours. Everybody raved about how good the smoke flavor was too! Thanks for the great suggestion. I took the meatloaf off and immediately put on two 10lb Boston Butts for tomorrow night. No reason to even let the smoker cool off! 

I think a pizza could really be good smoked too.
Now that would be a new one on me.....

A Fatty with Pizza sauce, Spinach leaves, Pepperoni, Feta, Mozzarella is good. Had a buddy do one and I think it was my favorite among the few other other concotians  I have had.  Maybe you smoke one and then roll it in dough right at the end of the cook and get a decent crust wrapped.

• Like 1

• Moderators
JL Sargent, on 20 Aug 2014 - 6:36 PM, said: Hey, per Dtel's recommendation I smoked a meatloaf tonight and I must say it was superb!

And I thought smoked meatloaf was my concoction

It was my recommendation but surely not my idea, I got it from somewhere, but I do like it.

Edited by dtel