OT Southern BBQ Ribs

seti

• Moderators

Since this thread is about BBQ I will share my recipe for homemade BBQ sauce with you guys. It is very sweet so diabetics beware.

1 approx. 44 ounce ketchup (any brand

1 1/2 lb. dark brown sugar

6-12 tablespoons garlic powder or granulated garlic (more if you have taste buds like the dtel clan)

6-10 tablespoons chili powder (this varies depending on the individual's taste)

smoke flavoring to taste

Combine in a large heavy pan, heat to boiling (stir constantly and very carefully) reduce heat and simmer for about an hour.

I have also added Tony's Seasoning, as well as other spices on occasion, but the basic recipe is a favorite of all that have eaten our barbeque through the years.

This is a thick/sweet barbeque sauce, so don't try it if you don't like thick and sweet sauce.

I cook ribs in an offset smoker but you can do it in a Webber if needed. As

said, remove the membrane, I use a Phillips screwdriver to get under it and

across the ribs, and then peal both directions. Use a towel to get a grip on it

and you will be fine. The membrane tastes nasty and if it is left on, it is a

sure sign of a newbie.

I cook at 250 degrees for about 4 hours. No turning is needed in the offset

smoker. Use a good LUMP HARD WOOD charcoal, not briquettes as they are

nothing more than pressed sawdust, glue and coal. There is no good smoke flavor

to get from them.

Soak overnight in apple cider, wipe dry and rub with a good BBQ rub (we are

talking BBQ here, not grilling) If cooked until the meat falls off the bones,

you have over cooked them. The meat should be tender and separate easily from

the bone but not be pulling away from the bone on its own.

If you are a lover of BBQ sauce, wait until the last half hour to put it on.

If you start with it, it will burn the sugar in it and again, taste nasty. I

make my own sauce and only put a little on, not dripping with it, just enough

to get a glaze on the finished rib.

ENJOY!

Seti,

I'm not sure about White Pig Inn being as busy as you mention. They go back at least four generations in the business. I've been wanting to try their chicken, but they just cook it once a week and haven't been in there on the right day.

HB's is a place I've been intending to try, but haven't located it off 65th street.

On Whole Hog Cafe, I do wonder if you were there on a bad day. It could just be a subjective preference, I suppose. I have often used them to for cater/take out for groups, kind of pricey for that, though. It is fun to pick up a "kit" for four or so to take out dinner at home. Their Memphis in May awards are impressive, too. Since I read Smoky Hale's book several years ago, I've had more discerning expectations for BBQ. I used to think there was hardly such thing as bad bbq, but actually there is.

There are a couple of places I found in Benton that are impressive. Smokey Joes is a local family owned place that does an excellent job on chicken and baby backs. Pulled pork is good there, too. Also, though it is a chain, Rib Crib does excellent and consisten spare ribs and baby backs. They do pulled pork well, too. Tony Reed and I have been in there a number of times. Rib Crib is out of Oklahoma and I don't know if the Benton location is a franchise or a company store. They also have a blackberry cobbler served with Yarnell's ice cream which is pure evil.

In Conway, Hog's Pen BBQ is excellent. The store is not especially impressive. I have never eaten in there, but one time these folks catered a Conway Band parent's meeting (his daughter and my daughter were in the band) and I thought it was some of the best pulled pork I'd ever tasted.

I got the following dry rub from the Food Network after watching a Bobby Flay episode. I've tried this on ribs and chicked and even sprinkled a smigeon on a filet once. It's got a nice kick to it. I like it. Enjoy..... [:)]

1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon granulated garlic
1 tablespoon granulated onion
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 tablespoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon white pepper

Tom

I cook ribs in an offset smoker but you can do it in a Webber if needed. As said, remove the membrane, I use a Phillips screwdriver to get under it and across the ribs, and then peal both directions. Use a towel to get a grip on it and you will be fine. The membrane tastes nasty and if it is left on, it is a sure sign of a newbie. <?xml:namespace prefix = o />

I cook at 250 degrees for about 4 hours. No turning is needed in the offset smoker. Use a good LUMP HARD WOOD charcoal, not briquettes as they are nothing more than pressed sawdust, glue and coal. There is no good smoke flavor to get from them.

Soak overnight in apple cider, wipe dry and rub with a good BBQ rub (we are talking BBQ here, not grilling) If cooked until the meat falls off the bones, you have over cooked them. The meat should be tender and separate easily from the bone but not be pulling away from the bone on its own.

If you are a lover of BBQ sauce, wait until the last half hour to put it on. If you start with it, it will burn the sugar in it and again, taste nasty. I make my own sauce and only put a little on, not dripping with it, just enough to get a glaze on the finished rib.

ENJOY!

Interesting I'll switch to the hard lump coal as I was using match light and hickory wood chunks soaked overnight. I also like the idea of brining in apple cider. I like to mix a simple bbq sauce with honey and that I apply within the last couple minutes if I am doing wet ribs.

Seti,

I'm not sure about White Pig Inn being as busy as you mention. They go back at least four generations in the business. I've been wanting to try their chicken, but they just cook it once a week and haven't been in there on the right day.

HB's is a place I've been intending to try, but haven't located it off 65th street.

On Whole Hog Cafe, I do wonder if you were there on a bad day. It could just be a subjective preference, I suppose. I have often used them to for cater/take out for groups, kind of pricey for that, though. It is fun to pick up a "kit" for four or so to take out dinner at home. Their Memphis in May awards are impressive, too. Since I read Smoky Hale's book several years ago, I've had more discerning expectations for BBQ. I used to think there was hardly such thing as bad bbq, but actually there is.

There are a couple of places I found in Benton that are impressive. Smokey Joes is a local family owned place that does an excellent job on chicken and baby backs. Pulled pork is good there, too. Also, though it is a chain, Rib Crib does excellent and consisten spare ribs and baby backs. They do pulled pork well, too. Tony Reed and I have been in there a number of times. Rib Crib is out of Oklahoma and I don't know if the Benton location is a franchise or a company store. They also have a blackberry cobbler served with Yarnell's ice cream which is pure evil.

In Conway, Hog's Pen BBQ is excellent. The store is not especially impressive. I have never eaten in there, but one time these folks catered a Conway Band parent's meeting (his daughter and my daughter were in the band) and I thought it was some of the best pulled pork I'd ever tasted.

I don't get out to Conway very often but if I do I will look out for it. I will try Whole Hog Cafe again or I may have it confused with cross eyed pig....hmmm Damm I'm hungry now and I didn't bring any leftovers to work.

Pulling the membrane off the back of the ribs is a PIA and I always struggle to get it removed.

Seti:

They opened a Corky's off Markham over by Circuit City on the road on the hill that goes up past Walmart. We'd been stopping at Corkys outside of Memphis for "dry ribs" every time we drive to LR and were surprised to see one in LR. Prices are pretty good and their kid's meals are huge!

Joe Kleine opened that one & one in Jonesboro if you travel there.

I lived in Memphis for 20 years and tried every BBQ joint in town. It's kind of like tubes vs SS...it just depends on what your "tastes" are. Probably over all the best BBQ I've had is from a little place called Strawberry's located in Holcomb Missouri, just about 15 miles north of my hometown - Kennett MO...They have a BBQ pork steak that is to die for....tender, and HUGE!! Strawberry has won Memphis in May several times, and his ribs just fall off the bone. I like The Rendevouz in Memphis for the atmosphere and the ribs are great too. Something else that's good if you're in a hurry...buy some Corky's ribs in the grocery and add some dry rub to them- very good they are ready in about 20 minutes..

Maybe we will all have to bring real BBQ to Indy this year...

I've got to quit- I'm salivating now....

KG

I know this is about Southern BBQ, but for ME the best BBQ is in Kansas City. I lived there before moving to Kentucky, and have to grab some every time I get back there. To me, Corky's does not even come close to the likes of Gates, Jack Stack, or even Arthur Byrant's. Maybe it is the local Corky's that isn't worth a damn. The American Royal BBQ cookoff in Kansas City is always a treat as well. For my own ribs; I just peel off the membrane, add onion salt, garlic salt, pepper, and the dry rub. Refrigerate about 2-3 hours, then grill over 200-250 degrees for roughly 3 hours. Sometimes I will add Gates BBQ sauce the last 30-40 mins, but my girlfriend likes dry ribs, so that is how it is usually preparred.

Don't worry, I think KC style is legitimate. Not much on the radar in Arkansas, at least explicitly, the popularity ot thick sweet sauces though, probably is some KC BBQ around and people don't know it. I'd like to make a BBQ tour in KC and try out some of the places you mention.

[:P]The Shack had the best BBQ sandwich in Little Rock in the 50s & 60s (piled with cole slaw). A friend of mine bought the Shacks in the early 70s, but didn't last. The original recipe used Grapette (Wal-Mart has it now) instead of water. How do I know? I've made it both ways. In fact, I had some on smoked porkloin last night, & sopped sauce for dessert.

Now y'all be nice & I'll share the recipe...It's available at www.ibdjohn.com/shack. ENJOY!

P.S. I double the recipe & share.

SSH

[:P]The Shack had the best BBQ sandwich in Little Rock in the 50s & 60s (piled with cole slaw). A friend of mine bought the Shacks in the early 70s, but didn't last. The original recipe used Grapette (Wal-Mart has it now) instead of water. How do I know? I've made it both ways. In fact, I had some on smoked porkloin last night, & sopped sauce for dessert.

Now y'all be nice & I'll share the recipe...It's available at www.ibdjohn.com/shack. ENJOY!

P.S. I double the recipe & share.

SSH

I don't like the chain ribs like Corky's or Tony Roma's. If I buy ribs they come from a joint not a franchise just my preference. I try to eat at local owned businesses over chains.

I have seen the grapette recipe but have not tried it because I did not know we could get grapette again hmmmmm. There was a summer when we did ribs every other weekend and we tried every brine you could imagine but applecider or beer were our favorites. I miss the shack..... 

You're welcome, Dee.

I found it about a year ago, doing a search for BBQ sauces, looking to concoct one of my "own" after trying different flavors from a variety of recipes. I vary it a bit, but it's an excellent sauce, as is. Believe it when it calls for the black pepper; you want all of the black pepper in it. I like it with a BIT of heat added, too...my own hab peppersauce.

SSH

You're welcome, Dee.

I found it about a year ago, doing a search for BBQ sauces, looking to concoct one of my "own" after trying different flavors from a variety of recipes. I vary it a bit, but it's an excellent sauce, as is. Believe it when it calls for the black pepper; you want all of the black pepper in it. I like it with a BIT of heat added, too...my own hab peppersauce.

SSH

I have a sauce the Kaiser can speak for.... I took a fall harvest of Tabasco, Jalapenos, Habenjaro, Ceyenne, Thai peppers, Poblano and garlic all blended then cooked with some vinegar/water. The sauce is amazing I still have allot left as a little goes along way. I like to make drumsticks like hot wings because they have more meat you just have to inject them. yuummm

Buncha Southern crackers don't know squat about proper bar-bee-que.[:D]

Look if you really have to use that ketchup-based syrup you call a sauce instead of a proper vinegar-based sauce try this one:

! cup coca-cola (can be substituted with Dr. Pepper), 1 cup ketchup, 1/4 whatsthisheresauce, 1 tsp liquid smoke , 1/4 cup A-1, 1/2 tsp each of onion, garlic powders and black pepper. Bring to boil at medium heat, reduce heat until you get a nice gentle simmer. Reduced for 6 to 98 minutes (longer if you want it more concentrated) and it will keep for several months in the fridge.

Also why don't you guys live a little. Beef, pork, pah!

On my smoker today will be a nice leg of lamb, membrane removed with, a paste of kosher salt, garlic powder, dry rosemary and dijon mustard. Smoke with apple or cherry for 2/3 hours then finish in oven until almost medium rare. Cover lightly and rest for 10 to 15 minutes. Do not overcook lamb.

For sides your starch of choice (basmati rice is very complementary) and this time of the year, cover some asparagus in olive oil and either roast (10 minutes in oven at 425) or sautee or smoke. Add a heavy dose of kosher salt, cut into pieces and when cool add some vidalia onion, sliced tomatoes, lemon juice and some orange juice if handy.

Accompany with a full-bodied red, an oaky chardonnay or some fresh-brewed ice tea (Salada or Red Rose have smoother tannins and decafe is fine if late in the day)