OT Southern BBQ Ribs

seti

Buncha Southern crackers don't know squat about proper bar-bee-que.[:D]

Look if you really have to use that ketchup-based syrup you call a sauce instead of a proper vinegar-based sauce try this one:

! cup coca-cola (can be substituted with Dr. Pepper), 1 cup ketchup, 1/4 whatsthisheresauce, 1 tsp liquid smoke , 1/4 cup A-1, 1/2 tsp each of onion, garlic powders and black pepper.  Bring to boil at medium heat, reduce heat until you get a nice gentle simmer.  Reduced for 6 to 98 minutes (longer if you want it more concentrated) and it will keep for several months in the fridge.

Also why don't you guys live a little. Beef, pork, pah!

On my smoker today will be a nice leg of lamb, membrane removed with, a paste of kosher salt, garlic powder, dry rosemary and dijon mustard.  Smoke with apple or cherry for 2/3 hours then finish in oven until almost medium rare. Cover lightly and rest for 10 to 15 minutes. Do not overcook lamb.

For sides your starch of choice (basmati rice is very complementary) and this time of the year, cover some asparagus in olive oil and either roast (10 minutes in oven at 425) or sautee or smoke.  Add a heavy dose of kosher salt, cut into pieces and when cool add some vidalia onion, sliced tomatoes, lemon juice and some orange juice if handy.

Accompany with a full-bodied red, an oaky chardonnay or some fresh-brewed ice tea (Salada or Red Rose have smoother tannins and decafe is fine if late in the day)

Bring it on Thebes lets have a BBQ throwdown.....Hell viginia is barely even south by our standars. I bet all ya'll city folk wear shoes and educate your womenfolk. BAH 

Actually I really like the Dr.Pepper based BBQ sauce almost as much as the apple cider or hard cider brine.

Of god I love lamb hmmmm something about them eyes : )   It is very difficult to get good lamb in Arcansas as I am more often very disappointed in the quality. I have an uncle who has a farm in Wales and the little legs and racks go straight from the field to the cooker in a day. That is some good eat'n gawddang.... 

(i think something is wrong with the forum or my keyboard as letters keep getting lost)

Seti, don't confuse where I live with what I am which is a bona fide Upstate New Yorker. We know a thing or two about meat up our ways. Got to do something with those dairy cows when they get old.

Hard cider brine is a new one for me though. Sounds intriguing, especially since I come from apple country.

I'll tell you true the lamb I smoked yesterday was one happy fellow. Must have been running through the fields with Little Bo Peep when they sliced the knife through it's gullet.

Sure the cooking helped but it is without a doubt the sweetest piece of lamb I've ever had. Somebody in New Zealand screwed up and let the good stuff get out.

Daddy Dee. Of course I am. I'm middle-aged after all. Thanks as always for your kind words to myself and many others in this place. You certainly bring a sense of warmth and belonging to the Forum.

The Kaiser and I went to lunch at seems and there ribs were good but they smothered them in sauce. This really irked me as now I like them dry but they were still good. I asked at the front couter and to get the rub dry ribs you have to order them by the slab...... Oh darn you mean I have to order a slab of ribs : (

I went over to Bluesboy's house today and we cooked up some Shacks BBQ Sauce faithfully following the recipe provided earlier in this thread. Darn good stuff. We used it as a mopping sauce on drumsticks and a rack of baby back ribs. Next time I may try brown sugar rather than white. We also think the pepper may mellow some if you simmered it for an hour or so but it was a great recipe as is.

Watched a DVD while letting the sauce cook.....Bruce Springsteen....the Seegar Sessions. Sounded great on Bluesboy's system and it was fun watching the Boss getting sauced while having such a good time making the tape.

Now Thebes has me in the mood for some lamb....I will stick with a rack of lamb rather than a leg. Dijon, olive oil, fresh Rosemary and sea salt. Medium rare of course....ah....summertime.

Chuck

I went over to Bluesboy's house today and we cooked up some Shacks BBQ Sauce faithfully following the recipe provided earlier in this thread. Darn good stuff. We used it as a mopping sauce on drumsticks and a rack of baby back ribs. Next time I may try brown sugar rather than white. We also think the pepper may mellow some if you simmered it for an hour or so but it was a great recipe as is.

Watched a DVD while letting the sauce cook.....Bruce Springsteen....the Seegar Sessions. Sounded great on Bluesboy's system and it was fun watching the Boss getting sauced while having such a good time making the tape.

Now Thebes has me in the mood for some lamb....I will stick with a rack of lamb rather than a leg. Dijon, olive oil, fresh Rosemary and sea salt. Medium rare of course....ah....summertime.

Chuck

Pretty good sauce. A bit heavy on the pepper though.

Tarheel and Bluesboy,

You guys have been doing good things with your time.

Yeh, the black pepper in the shack sauce is just it's distinctive signature. Actually fairly unique in the universe of bbq sauces. When I was a kid that was all I knew. What kind of sauce to you guys see in NC? Do you see much of vinegar or mustard type sauces?

Now Thebes has me in the mood for some lamb....I will stick with a rack of lamb rather than a leg.  Dijon, olive oil, fresh Rosemary and sea salt.   Medium rare of course....ah....summertime.

Chuck

Pretty good sauce. A bit heavy on the pepper though.

Lamb and a welsh mint vinaigrette hmmm

Dee.....for ribs.....usually a dry rub for a few hours and then a vinegar based sauce for mopping. A finishing sauce or table sauce is optional and usually of the sweet variety. Our pulled pork is always vinegar based in the southeast part of the state but once you hit the piedmont it changes to ketchup based....even in the slaw. The age old rivalry about which is correct and best continues to this day.

There is a sauce most of my friends swear by for just about any meat and that can be found in the Dinosaur BBQ cook book.....if you are not familiar with that sauce do a search for Dinosaur BBQ.

Seti.....you are right...I forgot the mint. The weather here is beautiful so I may do some lamb on the grill one night this week.

Happy Grilling

Chuck

Come to think of it.....I don't think I have ever had any bad ribs....some are just better than others. I do a lot of ad libbing and some times don't recall what I threw into the mix. If the weather is bad I do the ribs in the oven. I do the dry rub for about an hour....wrap the ribs tightly in foil and add some liquid such as apple cider or juice and some vinegar. I cook at 215 degrees for an hour and a half and then uncover the ribs, pour out the juices, and cook uncovered for about 45 minutes at 350-375 just to brown them up. I also do them this way and then finish them on the grill with some apple wood chips for smoke. Other times they just smoke for 3-4 hours.

I just downloaded and printed a copy of the dinosaur bbq " to die for"recipe and will try that next.

My only bad grilling experience was about 20 years ago when I cooked shark steaks on the grill.....the steaks dried out and the skin was like a rubber gasket. I think I had started happy hour too early that day.

Has anyone tried any exotic meats on the grill? Antelope, bear or bison? I use to work with a guy who ate racoon.....he said the burgers were a little oily[:^)]

Dee, you will sure get a heads up next time Seti and I plan a ribbing[;)]

Tar, my first experience many moons ago with Shark steak produced the same outcome[:(] But alas growing up in and around San Antonio I have quite a few buddies who's families were from south of the border and the best Shark steak I've ever had off a grill was in lime juice with Cilantro/Cumin/Garlic warpped in foil!! OMG[:o] Can you say bomb diggity[:P] Served with a side of Charro Beans, Guacamole and Mexican style brown rice with corn in it who boy[:D] Just a few of these and you are set/fit to be a king. Deer hind quarter steaks/chops are about a close to exotic as I've ever come on the grill.

Kaiser....that shark recipe does sound good....love cilantro. That shark experience really made an impression and I haven't tried it since. I use to grill a lot more fish but for some reason got away from doing that. My house is about 3 miles from the coast (Wrightsville Beach) so I really don't have a good excuse. I use to cook a lot of King Mackerel in the spring when the fish were about 2-3 pounds....in foil like you mentioned.....steaks and filets. Have also grilled Mahi, Cobia (they use to throw these away before someone realized they taste great), Grouper, Red Snapper, Spanish Mackeral and Flounder stuffed with crabmeat and small shrimp. In the old days they use to go into the marshes and gig Flounder using lanterns to spot the sleeping victims. Now its with rod and reel or nets.

Wish we all could get together and share some of this great food. Can you imagine 2 block of grills going...walking grill to grill sampling food from different parts of the country[:D]