6" flares.... for TheEar and other home constructors.

michael hurd

I have another round of priming and sanding to go, then paint with a polyurethane paint 3-4 coats. After wetsanding and buffing I will have a nice male mold upon which to laminate glass mat and polyester resin. The flare will be laminated, then cut down on the lathe to have a nice smooth outside diameter and also to cut smoothly where it will attatch to the IPEX brand 6" ring-tite sewer pipe. I am going to use the bell end to make connectors for connecting the flares to the pipe, and also to connect the port somewhere in the middle, as I need to attact both flares rather well, even for testing.

A five minute epoxy kit would probably be the best way to attatch them permanently. Flare starts at 5 7/8" to match the PVC pipe, but can be cut down to make it fit a larger diameter as well. Outside diameter will be about 11".

post-9504-13819330465236_thumb.jpg

Michael...when you are ready to sell I would be interested ....how much per flare?

I will use 6" tubes. I am again spending my day in winISD. First sub is almost decided upon. Dual TC-3000 15" in a ported 12 cu ft box,triple 6" ports all flared of course(here is where your flares would come handy).

Simply massive output to 16Hz,linear.The major negative with ported subs is greoup delay. But sealed you lose too much output down deep.This monster will brutalise SVS(save for the quad driver monster they made) and HSU subs...big time. Talking over 124dB at listening position all the way down to 16Hz...in my smaller room. The box will be worse than I first calculated...nearly 190lbs! OUF no drivers...just plain box.

Ear... What is the size of the box?? Do you have enough room for 3 flares at each end?? Btw, PM me your email...

If you want I can also remove portions of the flare and bond them together to make it more compact, taking up less real estate in the box. I have access to a lot of fancy tools and have worked with fibreglass and SMC a lot. No problem. Give me your maximum dimentions of the box, internally so I can know if what I make will fit.

The box will be 24" x 24" on each end,49.5" long. Not counting the 1.5" tall base and rubber feet bolted to it.

So on each(24" x 24") end I will have to fit a 15" TC-3000 woofer(near the upper corner)and lower opposite corner will be for the flare.I will send you a scanned drawing to scale by friday next week. I may resport to only two 6" flared ports,one per side.

Good talking to you Mike,yep definite 4 flares you have sold here...,for the dual LMS-5400 I will see but probably eight flares(four 6" ports)will be used.

The flares may be black or ready to paint. Either case A ok. I will match the flare color with the driver's basket color.

Michael,

A bit OT

How much mass to you have to install on each PR you will use in the Beast replica? I hope it is not something too heavy(probably is due to cabinet small size).As very loaded PR's even very well byilt one will bring problems in the long run.

This is why I will use conventional porting.No moving parts with heavy weights attached.

• 2 weeks later...

Michael,

A bit OT

How much mass to you have to install on each PR you will use in the Beast replica? I hope it is not something too heavy(probably is due to cabinet small size).As very loaded PR's even very well byilt one will bring problems in the long run.

This is why I will use conventional porting.No moving parts with heavy weights attached.

Problems like what? I've only started using a subs w/PR's within the last year, so I don't have too much experience with them.

• 2 months later...

Pics of finished mold. I used over 1 pint ( before reduction and catalyzing ) of UNO-HD polyurethane single stage paint, and about the same amount of primer. If I had to pay myself for the labour on this mold, it would be worth hundreds, along with the materials ( over $ 100 in paint materials alone )

post-9504-13819338905814_thumb.jpg