Any recommendation to a vinyl newbie?

dkalsi

Joe recommended as well as several other forums members recommended that I try vinyl.

I have never owned a turntable, never owned any vinyl....just always cds.

Any recommendation in regards to a very very budget used turntable.

I am willing to spend anywhere close to 200 in the used market. And there are may available in the local used market for way under.

Forexample, someone local is selling a Dual 505 - just the 505 not 505-2 or 3 or 4 etc. for 40 bucks - orignal manual and box. Is that a good deal, he says he has been upgraded to "the best diamond stylus"

Is that any good? Or do you have any other recommendations

You might want to check out a Technics SL turntable. Just be sure the arm lift works okay. SL-1200, 1300, 1400, 1500, 1600, 1700. MK2 if you can find one. SL-1200 goes up to MK3, then MK5, since they're still in production, but they get pricier, of course. SL-1210 is the same thing, only in black. They're reliable and decent-sounding, and pretty well unaffected by vibration in the room.

If it has not been in DJ service, it'll be in better condition.

Joe recommended as well as several other forums members recommended that I try vinyl.

I am willing to spend anywhere close to 200 in the used market. And there are may available in the local used market for way under.

Forexample, someone local is selling a Dual 505 - just the 505 not 505-2 or 3 or 4 etc. for 40 bucks - orignal manual and box. Is that a good deal, he says he has been upgraded to "the best diamond stylus"

That would be about the going rate for a 505 with a box and manual. Wonder what cartridge is on it? His description of "the best diamond stylus" is useless. If it really was the best stylus, it would cost $10,000.00

For $200, you should look to spend $100 on the turntable and $100 on a new cartridge. I never trust any cartridge that comes with a used table. Like an AR XA or a Philips 212. Then buy a Grado Red cartridge or Goldring Elektra cartridge. There's 100's of way to go, I just threw those out as reasonable things to look for.

Other budget used favorites...

Vintage Thorens TD150 and TD160, Dual 1229, newer but still used models like ProJect, Music Hall. And also the Technics models mentioned above if they haven't been used hard by a DJ.

I know you mentioned $200 max for used, but you may want to consider a new entry-level Rega P1 belt-drive 'table with new RB100 one-piece aluminum arm and new Ortofon OMB-E5 cartridge fitted and ready to use out of the box for $350. Can be found on NeedleDoctor, MusicDirect, and AudioAdvisor websites, among others. Just food for thought.

What others have said...  you have some good advice here...

I also agree... spend more on the cartridge and proper set up than the TT itself.

JT1STCAV's advice is also good, buy a good entry level set up new and save for a better cartridge.

Good luck, enjoy the music

OB: Bear in mind that regardless of ones attitude as to analog or digital that the vast majority of recorded music is still vinyl or shellac and a lot of it will never be available any other way. Even the most rabid techno freak is stuck with that problem.

I disagree with the statement about used cartridges. Certainly the stylus must be replaced immediately unless you've a microscope to examine and know what you are looking for, but I've quite a collection of moving magnet cartridges from various cast off TT's including some from very abused TT's and all worked just fine with a replacement stylus. Perhaps I've just been lucky...

However, with that in mind, many used tables may have some of the better used cartriduges. Stanton 681EEE comes to mind as a very fine cartridge. I still have a table with one I carry to parties and gatherings and I think it is great. The majority of Stantons, Shures, many of the higher end Audio Technica's, and such will deliver very fine sound properly set up with a new stylus. Before trashing a cartridge, I'd run the model number on Google or your favorite search engine as well as here as you are likely to find some commentary as well as stylus suppliers.

In general, you should be able to equal or better digital sources with 200.00 spent wisely. That TT with the Stanton I mentioned is a Sony DD TT that originally sould for more than 400.00 in the 70's and I picked it up in near mint condition in a junk shop for 25.00. Stylus was 70 or so, so less than 100.00 for a very competent rig. Of course, it is not in my main system as there is much finesse and finagling to get that last 5% or so...but you won't get that bug for a while if you hang on to that 200.00 til just the right moment.

Happy hunting!!

Dave

Lets not forget that a nice B&O table can be had for about $50 to $100 and they are hard to beat for the price point/value side of things. B&O makes a very good cart and the tables are not too shabby either. They are under rated for the market. You can get a VERRRRRY good feel for vinyl with one. I still have mine after 30 years and it still works great.

Here is a clean one that is a linear tracking unit that would be hard to beat. Cheeper units are out there but many need things like dust covers or new cartrs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bang-and-Olufsen-B-O-Beogram-TX-turntable-NM-in-box_W0QQitemZ170104697688QQihZ007QQcategoryZ3283QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This one is under $13 at the moment, another worthy unit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BEOGRAM-5500-TURNTABLE-Bang-Olufsen-B-O-Plays-Great_W0QQitemZ330112429267QQihZ014QQcategoryZ3283QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Lots of things to think about when starting into vinyl but it would be hard to get a better bang for the buck than a B&O table![;)]

Very Good suggestions thus far.

Being a "Vinyl Newbie" myself, I can't contribute too much but I can give this advice:

Be prepared to spend $200-900 on the support items for your new TT. This may include:

1. Record Cleaner- (Disc Doctor Solution etc)

2. TT Musts (Shure Tracking force gauge, Test Reference LP, Brushes, Zerostat Gun,)

3. Record Cleaning Machine (Not a must, but can make things a lot easier.)

4. TT Isolation materials (may not be a problem in your case, but should be considered)

This post is not meant to scare or dissuade you in going to Vinyl but just a friendly heads up on what to expect!!!

JJ

For example, someone local is selling a Dual 505 - just the 505 not 505-2 or 3 or 4 etc. for 40 bucks - orignal manual and box. Is that a good deal, he says he has been upgraded to "the best diamond stylus"

If I could get a local Dual 505 for $40, and I'd never owned a record or put needle to vinyl before in my life, I'd go the 505 route first before spending much on anything else. Curious about the stylus comment, but you can always upgrade that and stay under $200 for the whole deal in the process. I'm assuming you have a preamp, integrated, or receiver that has a dedicated phono section.

Then, play some records. Find out whether you're going to love the sound of records, or whether you can't stand the inconvenience of spinning vinyl. Once you decide to get in or get out of collecting vinyl and playing records, then you can worry about what direction your vinyl rig and associated equipment will take later on.

I have the option to purchase -

1) Scott 299A - in excellent condition - no mods with 5AR4 replaced it with a brand new JJ. GE outputs and Sylvania inputs are all good. The person said from the listening position everthing sounds perfect. He says if he disconnects everthing and turns it all the way up, with your ears close to the speakers you can hear a sligt hum. But he says its the same case with his Fisher 500C and the HKTA3000

2) Scott 310C - vintage tube tuner - excellent condition

3) Dual -1229 turntable with United Audio base which opens up and includes stacking spindleand 45 insert and taller smoked dustcover. plus spare headshell and the original Shure M91 cartridge with new stylus.

Everything included shipped for $600.???????????

No offense intended here, but it sounds like a money pit. The 299, and potentially the 310C, will each need work to sound their best. Unless you're familiar with this type of work and can do it safely yourself, be prepared to spend lots of extra money to get those units back up to snuff. Then again, if you truly are interested in having restored vintage gear, it might be work it. But, I thought this thread started with a desire to get into vinyl for under $200??

Speaking of vinyl, the 1229 is an idler wheel design. Usually these need some maintenance of the drive mechanism, and the parts are not always readily available. Again, be prepared to spend some $$ to get the table back to operating condition, if it has not been recently worked on or maintained.

I am in a similar situation as you - looking to go vinyl. First, do your research. Look for online articles instructional and educational in nature regarding turntables and set up. Learn about tonearms, cartridges, platters, phono preamps, etc.

The new Stereophile reviews the Rega P1, which is made in the UK (not China!), and lists for a measly $350. Rega knows turntables, and Art Dudley said it is "strongly recommended." The reviewer goes on the say that he hopes the low price attracts more and more newbies to the enjoyment of LPs.

You can also look for used P2s, which is also a highly esteemed turntable for those on a budget.

My humble advice as a 100% vinyl only listener...

1] It's hard to imagine from my standpoint, but there are folks that think records are difficult and CDs are easy - convenience factor. You need to assess your own level of willingness to go to some trouble to play records.

2] I would advise getting an inexpensive turntable and some inexpensive records to fool with. A week or ten days may reveal if this is for you.

3] If after playing around with a minimal system you start to get captured by the potential of vinyl, then some additional research and advice will carry you the rest of the way. There is lots to learn and some of it just comes from experience. This forum has some of the world's best people that know all about these things... Max Goodman and Allan Songer come to mind - they can take you all the way there if that is where you want to go.

As mentioned in a previous post, Bang & Olufsen tables (what I have used for 30 years) are a bit of a departure from normal tables in that almost all the mechanical things that usually need alignment and adjustment are all taken care of in the original fundamental design engineering - no alignments or adjustments necessary except tracking force. And their cartridges are top quality - even the old ones. The downside of B&O is that although they are great you don't really learn about all these mechanics and adjustments so if you move to truely highend turntables you find you know almost nothing about them!

dkalsi

i would suggest that if you really want to see what vinyl is about that you listen to an established system, (you are welcome to come listen to mine).......it would be very easy to get bogged down in all the details of setting up a system that may not be the best it can be, and therefore get discouraged very quickly, i beleive you should hear a system/source if at all possiable b-4 taking the leap of spending hard earned $$$$$$$$$$$$.................you will also be able to get an idea of the labor involved with vinyl, if you would like to come up and have a listen just let me know

Joe