optical cables

Klipsch-daddy

Are they alot of differences in different name brands like monster cable, or a generic one? Because there is a huge difference in price. There are a million on ebay from 1.00 up to 50.00 Also what about the ones that have gold ends? I am looking at the ones that are called PRO 2m optical cable.

------------------

My HTS:

MAINS: RF-3's

CENTER: KSC-C1(LOOKING FOR A RC-3 OR RC-3II)

REAR: SS-1's

SUB: KSW-12

TV: TOSHIBA THEATER VIEW 50"

RECEIVER:KENWOOD VR-4080B

DVD: SONY S-360 DVD PLAYER

monster cable interconnects/12 gauge speaker wire

This message has been edited by Klipsch-daddy on 12-14-2001 at 05:04 PM

I assume you are talking about Toslink cables. One thing I can tell you straight off is that gold plating the connector has no effect on the performance of an optical cable. My guess is that the cheap ones will work for you just as well as the expensive ones on a 2M run. If the cheap ones work at all, more expensive ones will probably not sound better. You would expect more expensive ones to have more parallel, better polished ends, a tougher jacket, better connector, etc. The slightly better optical performance of the expensive cables might be relevant on a long run. Whether the other improvements are worth the money depends on your environment.

So you might want to try the cheap ones first. Or you might just want to go with the expensive ones anyway. Top of the line MonsterCable Interlink LightSpeed 200 cables have a retail price of about $80 in 2M. Thats peanuts compared to what some people pay for speaker cables.

Malcolm,

the ones you speak of "monster cable" are on ebay around 20.00-50.00, 1 is at 9.99 with 1 day left.

------------------

My HTS:

MAINS: RF-3's

CENTER: KSC-C1(LOOKING FOR A RC-3 OR RC-3II)

REAR: SS-1's

SUB: KSW-12

TV: TOSHIBA THEATER VIEW 50"

RECEIVER:KENWOOD VR-4080B

DVD: SONY S-360 DVD PLAYER

monster cable interconnects/12 gauge speaker wire

KD, there isn't a difference in sound quality as much as there is a difference in build quality. The "better" toslink or optical cables will fit more snug in the connector, keeping out tiny dust particles that can eventually affect the signal. They are also typically more resistant to kinking. Some cables stop working properly if they get kinked. There are other issue, but those are the main ones. I have a higher end Monster on my DVD-player, but I was a little nieve when I bought it 3 or 4 years ago. I have helped my friends pick out a several cables in recent times. They all went with cables in the $25 to $50 range. The build quality wasn't too bad for that money. My cable on the other hand looks like it could be mistaken for 4 gauge wire, and it should for $100. I this helps you in your quest for the speed of light.

Happy listening and enjoy!

JT