4.1 Troubleshooting ... Issues ...

Tim_in_NC

Hi Guys,

I've been in the Klipsch world for some time with home audio but I've never had a set of Klipsch PC Speakers ...

I picked up this set of 4.1's from a local guy for $20 fully aware that they had some issues ...

Here's
the deal: After a while of playing ...the front right speaker
will begin crackling, poping, etc ... I also noticed that some
speakers have louder output than others ... The sub seems to work great

Anyone run into this before and can help me troubleshoot the issue ...

I'm going to remove the bash amp and see what's going on inside ...

Thanks

OK ... took the bash amp off and checked connections ... all appeared good ...

Checked for loose or cracked resistors, etc... and all look good ...

Checked for burnt areas from connections on the circuit boards and no issues that I could find ...

I
then took the preamp appart and the circuit board has a brownish area
on it ... not sure if this is the way it should look or not ...

Here's a pic ... Is this normal?

4.1preampboard.jpg

The other side of the board looks fine ...

-TIM

Tim-

I just got done fixing my Promedia 4.1's (bad R27 resistor on the power supply) and also had a CP-1 with a bad DIN plug on it. I took the cover off of my CP-1 and looked at the board and mine looks the same as yours, but not to the same degree. I think that may be some type of insulator to insulate the components from the board.

Here is my CP1's board:

CP1.jpg

How carefully have you inspected all the boards inside your amplifier for component damage?

-Matt

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Matt ... I just did a visual and didn't notice any issues ...

Do you have a recommendation on how to check for damaged items, etc...

Any help you could give that will allow me to attempt to repair myself would be appreciated ...

Thanks,
TIM

Replace the TL082CN chip in the preamp. Should be less than 5$ + shipping. DigiKey has them. Then if the loudness problem between the speakers still exists replace the other 2 preamp chips. Luckily mine worked fine with the TL082CN replaced. That goo inside is normal.

Cool ... thanks ... I'll give it a try and report back ...

Do you happen to know the name (part #) of the other two chips that you're refering to ...

I figured that I would go ahead and purchase them as well, just in case ...

Thanks again ...

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, I've owned Klipsch 4.1 speaks since 2000. I just recently pulled the speakers back out of the closrt and connected it to my PC. I noticed significant crackling, popping, volume change, volume failure.

I notice that putting pressure and slightly twisting the DIN that the speaker would work fine. I was attempting to see if I could find the reason the DIN was not making contact and when I unplugged the cable it broke free from the DIN entirely.

Problem:

I now can not figure out which color should go where. I used the Wiring diagram posted in a different thread, keeping colors and pin location in mind.

But, the wires must not be correct or must not be the same as others? One of the differences in the Klipsch diagram is that I have no yellow/black wire, but I do have a white wire. Any help would be appreciated,

Thank you,

Jason

Hey Jason, I will be glad to help you out here. you do not have the 4.1 setup, you have the V.2-400, it should say that above your power cord on the back of the subwoofer. do not try to wire that pod yourself as you will likely fry your subwoofer, the wiring is compkletly differant, not just the Yellow/Black - white wiring, but placement of the other wires are not the same. the good news is however is that I can help you out. I can send you a control pod for your unit for $45.00 or I can repair the DIN plug on your control pod for $30. let me know if you are interested in either.

• 14 years later...