reduce midrange horn on the LaScal***

biglaz

I leave for a few hours and theres blood all over the place...

Yep. It would have been SO much easier to simply say sell the LaScalas and buy a pair of Jubilees!!

Not that I'm biased mind you...[*-)]

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'cept Klipsch is putting them fancy phase plugs on the B&C drivers...

I honestly don't think swapping the tweeter will be the best avenue of approach since most of the harshness problems stem around the K400 and it's crazy HF response. Over time, the low-end extension of compression drivers tends to become less due to the stiffening of the suspension through work hardening of the surrounds. This also causes the HF resonance problems to worsen and then there's the original "9kHz glitch" or whatever that shows up from time to time. Basically there's a lot going on with the squawker that needs fixing. And that's not to say that stock is awful, but that any amount of network or tweeter tweaking isn't going to fix the fundamental problems. I'm sure there are lots of band-aids that yield improvements, but I wouldn't exactly want a doctor to tell me that my broken arm will still work if it heals crooked...

Are there any other known problems with the K77 other than sometimes it's a bit weak and doesn't extend very high over time?

Btw, this recent thread gets talking about some of the squawker problems too:

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/1/908962/ShowThread.aspx

And if it only happens to be a 9kHz glitch bothering you, then there is always the option of a p-trap to knock it out.

Mike, I mentioned the tweeter swap because I had personal experience with that and it did improve the sound. You're right, it's got little to do with the midrange. However, the unit-to-unit variation in volume of the K-77, at least the older ones, could be considered a problem. Although it's mostly reproducing harmonics, that could impair imaging. In your experience, does the high-end have much effect on imaging, or does the mid-range do all of it?

That idea of using the Jubilee horns sounds interesting and might make a two-way La Scala practical, but using a 402 horn would look pretty wild, since it's actually bigger than a La Scala, at least in terms of frontal area.

Hope your weekend's going well and everyone has had their coffee or whatever it is they need to mellow out. This is a hobby and we do it for fun...

Yea, I'm definitely having fun in this thread so no worries there [:D]

As far as imaging....that's a loaded topic, and ultimately my

conclusions thus far is that it's basically a "gimmick" revolving

around the acoustics of the playback environment. I say gimmick because

perfect imaging revolves around perfect phase and time alignment -

which most certainly isn't being achieved during the recording process,

nor the playback of music on our systems (especially if you're using

horns without time-alignment). I would argue though that any attempt of

the recording engineer to provide an intended image would best be

played back in a room that has proper acoustical treatment. Anything

short of that is just playing around with small differences in light of

the large improvements that can be made. I would also go a step further

and mention that a flat power response speaker (such as the K402) will

also vastly improve imaging. Moving to two-way also gets rid of all the

phasey interactions between drivers too, further reducing the phase

distortions that blur imaging.

Since acoustical treatment really isn't an option for most people, I go

back to my original conclusion that it's just a gimmicky thing to be

stiving for since you'll have a very complex system of time and phase

information that will sometimes work with some recordings, and other

times makes things sound awful.

Anyways, that's my current take on the imaging topic. I'm always

willing to learn so I might change my views, but that's just how this

hobby goes. I guess I totally dodged your question as to whether or not

I associate it with the squawker or tweeter, but really I don't think

either has anything to do with the topic of imaging - except maybe to

the extent of the polar response. But the only way to change the polar

response is to change the horn topology.

• 13 years later...

I myself got rid of my Lascala Cabinets and spoke to Bob Crites who helped me re Design my Cabinets so I Can Front Mount my Woofer Bob was very Helpfull and he Sent a Drawing free of Charge and advised me to Get a ,50 Ohms WIREWOUND Rheostat and install it to my Midrange Driver this way. I can Tune it Down to my Room Acoustics as I am Tri amping my Cabinets with a solid state Amcron Powerline Three for my Bass Woofers my mid Range is driven by a All Tube Cary Sixpac Mono block Power amps And My Tweeters use a ,16 Watts Mono Block all tube using The 845/211output Tubes  active All tube Crossover is The Luxman A2003 All Tube 3 Way Active that has a Frequency Shift And Variable  that can be Fine tuned this way I can adjust my Variable Crossover and adjust the DB Out put of my Midrange K55 Driver to Tone the DB Output to balance out to the DB Output with my K33E Woofer which is around 96.6 DB at 1Wstt  at 1 Metre .I also use a DB  Level Meter and play my music and individual DB Readings on my Bass  then I switch off my Bass speakers and set my Midrange to the Required DB Level with my crossover Volume Control and my Midrange K,,55V Driver and adjust my Rheostat Wire wound Resister to get around 98 DB Noise Level very close to the Woofer output and get a very good Coherent Sound Level.

Kind Rgds

Francis Jansz

fsj@iprimus.com.au

IMG_20200806_140246.jpg

2 hours ago, Frank Jansz said:

I myself got rid of my Lascala Cabinets and spoke to Bob Crites who helped me re Design my Cabinets so I Can Front Mount my Woofer Bob was very Helpfull and he Sent a Drawing free of Charge and advised me to Get a ,50 Ohms WIREWOUND Rheostat and install it to my Midrange Driver this way. I can Tune it Down to my Room Acoustics as I am Tri amping my Cabinets with a solid state Amcron Powerline Three for my Bass Woofers my mid Range is driven by a All Tube Cary Sixpac Mono block Power amps And My Tweeters use a ,16 Watts Mono Block all tube using The 845/211output Tubes  active All tube Crossover is The Luxman A2003 All Tube 3 Way Active that has a Frequency Shift And Variable  that can be Fine tuned this way I can adjust my Variable Crossover and adjust the DB Out put of my Midrange K55 Driver to Tone the DB Output to balance out to the DB Output with my K33E Woofer which is around 96.6 DB at 1Wstt  at 1 Metre .I also use a DB  Level Meter and play my music and individual DB Readings on my Bass  then I switch off my Bass speakers and set my Midrange to the Required DB Level with my crossover Volume Control and my Midrange K,,55V Driver and adjust my Rheostat Wire wound Resister to get around 98 DB Noise Level very close to the Woofer output and get a very good Coherent Sound Level.

Kind Rgds

Francis Jansz

fsj@iprimus.com.au

IMG_20200806_140246.jpg

Since you resurrected this 13 year-old thread, you now owe us more photos.

• Like 4