R-5800-W for side surrounds?

rob755

Hi, I am putting together a system with RB-75 fronts, RC-7 center and was going to go with R-5800-W for sides and R-5650-S backs. Am I making a mistake not using the di-pole type 5650's for the sides too? I know everyone's preferences is just that...but would love to hear opinions! Might try it all with modded Trends 10.1's. Whattayathink? Thanks, Rob

Welcome to the fun and madness........

5650-S as sides about 5 feet off the floor, 5650-W's as back surrounds, you want wide dispersion on the sides. A direct sound from the rears seems better for all movies rather than a wide sound field in the back.....but it depends on how close to the back wall you will be sitting. Up against, use the 5650-S......several feet away? then 5650-W. Our THX Ultra2 was approved by THX to use directs in the rear, but you will see it done both ways....do to rear seat locations

Hi Steve, Thanks for the reply. I notice the 5800-W shows good matches as RF-7 & RC-7. I gues the 5650-W is as well? I don't have the RF-7's listed in the matching models, but have RB-75's as mains. I have been told the RB-75 has the same driver comp. driver as RF-7. Is that correct? Again... I appreciate your advice and consult.  Rob

Welcome to the fun and madness........

5650-S as sides about 5 feet off the floor, 5650-W's as back surrounds, you want wide dispersion on the sides. A direct sound from the rears seems better for all movies rather than a wide sound field in the back.....but it depends on how close to the back wall you will be sitting. Up against, use the 5650-S......several feet away? then 5650-W. Our THX Ultra2 was approved by THX to use directs in the rear, but you will see it done both ways....do to rear seat locations

YES, exactly! That is precisely the advice I give callers. All of the 5xxx series Klipsch mate with the Reference series very well. The 5800's havea bit better low end, but if in a budget, the 5650's will still dig below 80 Hz. The 'S' surround in-walls are patterened after our THX in-wall series.

Many people have used CDT5650's for rear center as well, particuarly if you are very close to the rear wall (or have no rear wall at all).