Members Weekly Music Recommendations-May 7

thebes

Well I bought a new cd last weekend that I thought would make a good candidate for this thread and promptly left in my ex-wife's car. Amy Winesomething, the latest Brit sensation.

I go through a lot of music here in ThebesWorld, and I do really try to separate out the wheat from the chaff. For example, I was all enthused about spinning Led Zeppelin's album #4 but when I put it on I realized that to me it was the worst thing they had ever done.

But never fear 'ol Thebes has still got a trick or two up his sleeve and so I bring you:

Randy Newman, "Best Of" , lp and don't know what genre his particular skills fit into. I've always been partial to his biting social commentary and acerbic use of satire, but it's his ability to paint a new mood in an old fashioned way that has always totally captivated me. I am particularly in thrall to his ability to recapture yet re-invent the music of the Gilded Age. In my heart-of-hearts I know Kurt Vonnegut must have been a fan, and if Mark Twain was alive in our times he would have worhiped him as a god.

Recording quality on all his albums is superb. Not suprising because he makes his living doing movie scores.

So what do you have to share this week.

A disc I have finally purchased after loving the single "Are You Alright?", is Lucinda Williams' "West."

Another title she could have used for this album should have been, "Melancholy and Infinite Sadness", but that was already taken.

A great listen and you can feel her suffering as she sings about her personal loss.

Jeff

IBSlammin,

This one is for you : ) I call it Punk Blues !

THE MAGIC BAND 2003

MARK BOSTON rockette morton
* middle earth bass

JOHN FRENCH drumbo * perspective drums * vocals * harmonica
GARY LUCAS *
guitar * lead guitar

DENNY WALLEY feeler's reedo / walla walla * guitar * lead guitar
ROBERT WILLIAMS wait for me
* drums * percussion

reun3vd1samp1.jpg
coverforshop.jpg
If you are a Beefheart or Zappa fan then this DVD concert is a must simply amazing. I have a long list of bands that were heavily influenced by Zappa and Beefheart....they are among my favorites. This DVD is not in a US region but all hardcore DVD fans should have an all region player.

magicband_backtothefront.jpg

I have been listening to The Magic Band - Back To Front 2003 release which was their first as a band in 20 years. The only problem is that I wish they had abandoned the vocals since Beefheart was not in this incarnation but it is still very well done but purist may argue. BUY THIS ALBUM : ) I was dam near speechless first time I heard it. If anyone knows of anything else in this genre please let me know.

** excerpt from review

After 20 dormant years, Captain Beefheart's legendary group has
reunited to play some shows and perform at the forthcoming ATP festival in LA.
Features key members John ''Drumbo'' French, Gary "Mantis'' Lucas, Denny
''Feelers Reebo'' Walley, and Mark ''Rockette Morton'' Boston. Playing classic
tracks from all the best albums such as 'Safe As Milk', 'Trout Mask Replica',
'Lick My Decals Off Baby', and Clearspot', this is something all Beefheart fans
must have. Includes the bonus track 'Nuff 'N Yes I Do'. All Tomorrows Parties.
Digipak. 2003.

Camcorder recording but you get the idea

Well I bought a new cd last weekend that I thought would make a good candidate for this thread and promptly left in my ex-wife's car. Amy Winesomething, the latest Brit sensation.

I go through a lot of music here in ThebesWorld, and I do really try to separate out the wheat from the chaff. For example, I was all enthused about spinning Led Zeppelin's album #4 but when I put it on I realized that to me it was the worst thing they had ever done.

But never fear 'ol Thebes has still got a trick or two up his sleeve and so I bring you:

Randy Newman, "Best Of" , lp and don't know what genre his particular skills fit into. I've always been partial to his biting social commentary and acerbic use of satire, but it's his ability to paint a new mood in an old fashioned way that has always totally captivated me. I am particularly in thrall to his ability to recapture yet re-invent the music of the Gilded Age. In my heart-of-hearts I know Kurt Vonnegut must have been a fan, and if Mark Twain was alive in our times he would have worhiped him as a god.

Recording quality on all his albums is superb. Not suprising because he makes his living doing movie scores.

So what do you have to share this week.

At 5'7" short, I don't share the worship. If social commentary is the goal, check out the news shows. However, if social commentary (dated) and real music is the ticket, try Zappa.

Randy Newman? The twins just hate the pr$ck. Have you heard his latest? It's called "Cancer Victim" people. A real hoot.[:@]

Would so much love to be short with him in a small room for twenty minutes or so.[8o|]

tc[;)]

IBSlammin,

This one is for you : ) I call it Punk Blues !

THE MAGIC BAND 2003

MARK BOSTON rockette morton * middle earth bass

JOHN FRENCH drumbo * perspective drums * vocals * harmonica

GARY LUCAS * guitar * lead guitar

DENNY WALLEY feeler's reedo / walla walla * guitar * lead guitar

ROBERT WILLIAMS wait for me * drums * percussion

reun3vd1samp1.jpg

coverforshop.jpg

If you are a Beefheart or Zappa fan then this DVD concert is a must simply amazing. I have a long list of bands that were heavily influenced by Zappa and Beefheart....they are among my favorites. This DVD is not in a US region but all hardcore DVD fans should have an all region player.

magicband_backtothefront.jpg

I have been listening to The Magic Band - Back To Front 2003 release which was their first as a band in 20 years. The only problem is that I wish they had abandoned the vocals since Beefheart was not in this incarnation but it is still very well done but purist may argue. BUY THIS ALBUM : ) I was dam near speechless first time I heard it. If anyone knows of anything else in this genre please let me know.

** excerpt from review

After 20 dormant years, Captain Beefheart's legendary group has reunited to play some shows and perform at the forthcoming ATP festival in LA. Features key members John ''Drumbo'' French, Gary "Mantis'' Lucas, Denny ''Feelers Reebo'' Walley, and Mark ''Rockette Morton'' Boston. Playing classic tracks from all the best albums such as 'Safe As Milk', 'Trout Mask Replica', 'Lick My Decals Off Baby', and Clearspot', this is something all Beefheart fans must have. Includes the bonus track 'Nuff 'N Yes I Do'. All Tomorrows Parties. Digipak. 2003.

Camcorder recording but you get the idea

TOOOOO Much Setti!!!! I havent heard this stuff in decades! Sounds different without the ChemicalsJ Did you get the new CD on line? Gotsta have it. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

tc