HSU or SVS dilemm***

CopperPot

I've been hesitating to ask this question because I know people are very passionate about their sub brands plus this is a Klipsch forum. I'm looking for a sub to add to my system and am down to two manufacturers HSU and SVS. Klipsch is very expensive where I live and the RW-12D is just under $1000 locally. I don't feel that's great bang for the buck so I'm looking at buying online. I'm torn between an SVS PC Plus model, either the mid size or largest model, or a comparatively priced HSU VTF-3 MK model. Does anyone have any experience with these subs or have any reviews on them? I'm curious if one is decidedly better than the other.

Thanks for any thoughts

I dont know if I can give you much of a review but I have had my SVS PB12 Plus/2 for about 2 ours and the thing so far is AMAZING! I didnt have a sub before and man does it sure make things sound different. I havent even began to push it hard and it is shaking the whole house. Now I need to go back and watch all of my movies again. I got the piano gloss black finish and it is beautiful and it was on sale due to overstock for 1299..... cant be it....Let me know if you have any questions I can help you with good luck in making a decision.

Also you can email SVS and tell them your room dimensions and how loud you listen to movies and the will recommend a model to you....

Sorry, my comment won't help you but I just wanted to say that I'm in the same situation as you. I'm sort of leaning towards the lowest end SVS sub just because it seems easier to get in Canada than HSU. Please let me know if any other places in Canada carry HSU besides electronicsforless.ca. The lower end ones on that site are all sold out. I'm also waiting and hoping that sonicboomaudio.com lower their prices slightly to reflect the recent drop in the US dollar vs the CDN dollar.

If this doesn't happen soon then I'll probably go with a Klipsch SUB12 at bestbuy.

By the way, you can get a brand new Klipsch RW-12d for about $720 CAD if you're in the Ottawa, Ontario area.

I had a Velodyne DD 12 list $3000 and RF 7's [ a comlete miss match] Velodyne suggested I get a DLS5000R.list $799 found one new at $550 on ebay. I couldn't hear the DD 12. The base reflex 5000 is perfect in my 4000 cu ft plus space. Consider the DLS 5000R. Be careful of room size and speaker matching.

I went with HSU VTF3 MK3 becuase it was the absolute best bang for the buck. For 650 bucks this sub is absolute killer. My room is about 15x22x8 and this sub is more than I'll ever need and hits down to 10-12hz @ 100db at 1/3rd of the gain and -3 on my reciever.

Unbelieveable deep bass. Its not even the sound its the feeling. Also HSu customer service warranty is top notch.

On the flipside SVS is also known to be just as good with the customer service and build quality. However they are a bit pricier and do not offer as much bang for the buck. Not to say that SVS doesn't make fantastic subs jut that the HSU VTF3 MK3 @ $650 easily competes with $1200+ SVS and otehr brand subs.

I love my Mark III. I am not a fan of Klipsch subs although I love the speakers. I run 2 x RF-82s, 1 x RC-62, 2 x RS-52s, and 2 x RB-61s and the Mark 3 and the sound is incredible.

I can't speak either way about the HSU but they have a great reputation...

I do have the SVS 20-39 PC Plus, mated with the RF-7 system. My room is pretty big (19 x 28 x 8) and the SVS folks recommended this sub when I gave them these specs. The sub is more than needed to shake the room and strike fear into its inhabitants. It is beyond my expectations and sounds very clean to me. The HSU may sound just as good, but I can vouch for the SVS.

Also- when I first got my SVS it arrived broken (no visible shipping damage or external damage to the sub...it just didn't work). I called the company and they immediately shipped another one to me without even waiting for me to return the first one. They didn't give me any hassle or make me jump through any hoops at all. So I guess on the one hand it's a negative for SVS that the sub arrived nonfunctioning...but the way they handled it was amazing. I had heard how great their customer service was and they delivered.

I have 2 PB12.3+/2. We were using them at 3 on gain and about -5 on my Pioneer 1014 this weekend, mixing Florida bass and electro with a pair of 1200M3s. My neighbor, who lives across the street (his house is about 200 feet away), came over to complaing about hearing it in his LR. They really did not even sound like they were breaking a sweat either.

This may seem to come from left field, but you might consider the Outlaw LFM. I think I read that it was designed by Hsu. I use one with K-horn mains, La Scala center and Heresy rears. To my ear it is as claimed by Outlaw - very clean and fast. It may not give as much loose rumbling roar that some people like for some movie effects, because it gives cleaner and more disciplined sound which may be more generally appreciated with music. Outlaw is an internet-only company that gives terrific bang for the buck with all of its components. I am also very pleased with my Outlaw Pre/Pro and Amp. Stereophile and other reviewers sound almost embarrassed when they give such good

reviews to equipment that costs so much less than what it compares

with.

Thanks for the suggestions. I initially considered Outlaw as well but eliminated them as I wanted something bigger, deeper, and meaner. They have great subs for great money though. I also considered DIY but I don't have the technical proficiency or the time. It looks like I'll be going with the SVS PC-ultra, not the 07 version coming out this summer but the existing model. It's more than I had budgeted for but it is a LOT of sub.

PC-ultra is a great unit, I have heard the passive CS-ultra's with a bryston amp driving them ( yes a pair.... ) and they were damn good, so good in fact, they redefined "sub-woofer" in my books.

I have since slid down the slippery slope of DIY and will not ever come back to the light of retail... lol....

I spoke with them about my room but it was a moot point. I'm living in a condo right now and will be moving into a house hopefully after Christmas. So I bought a huge sub, probably way too much sub but I'll certainly never wish I bought bigger or better. It's the recently discontinued PC-Ultra. The U.S. is sold out and now there is apparently one left in Canada. The new 13.5" version comes out this summer. In retrospect I have no doubt that the 20-39pci would have been way more than enough for me.

I was going to do the PC-Ultra, but found a pair of the +/2 for about the same price used, and those will kill a single Ultra. If you are looking at the current version ultra, SVS typically says that the +/2 gives you 90% of the output at a much lower price. You might consider doing a pair of those instead of one of the old ultras.