Good News For Vinylphiles, Warner Bros. planning "...the most ambitious vinyl reissue program of any major label in recent history"...

ChrisK

I hope this hasn't already been posted here, but it's pretty good news for the analog crowd. To boil it down, Warner Bros/Rhino/Reprise has commissioned 100's of new and previously released albums to be re-mastered and released on Vinyl. Some of the artists will be Van Morrison, White Stripes, Joni Mitchell, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Frank Sinatra, James Taylor and dozens more.

I'm guessing WB is trying new/old ways to generate revenue in the age of the iPod. For more info, take a look at the following link -

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=112018

Regards,

Chris

That's good news and bad. The good news is they usually do a pretty good job with the LPs. I have many of their reissues including Joni Mitchell's Blue which is very nice. The bad news is they cost between $25 and $30. About average considering Classic Records sell theirs for $30. Analogue Productions sell theirs for $25 to $30 or more. Not sure if they're the same folks but I recently bought the AP copy of Yes, Fragile and while the detail is amazing and the vinyl is dead quiet, the bass is not very full and it doesn't sound very musical to me. $30 and I doubt I'll play it too often. Maybe once every couple of years. It can be hit or miss depending on the original tapes I suppose. In almost every case, the reissue WILL sound better than the original. Not EVERY case but most I predict.

You go onto the Elusive Disc site and start putting those "must have" reissues into your cart and next thing you know your balance is $200 or more. It can get very expensive. Save up your pennies vinyl fans!

That's good news and bad. The good news is they usually do a pretty good job with the LPs. I have many of their reissues including Joni Mitchell's Blue which is very nice. The bad news is they cost between $25 and $30. About average considering Classic Records sell theirs for $30. Analogue Productions sell theirs for $25 to $30 or more. Not sure if they're the same folks but I recently bought the AP copy of Yes, Fragile and while the detail is amazing and the vinyl is dead quiet, the bass is not very full and it doesn't sound very musical to me. $30 and I doubt I'll play it too often. Maybe once every couple of years. It can be hit or miss depending on the original tapes I suppose. In almost every case, the reissue WILL sound better than the original. Not EVERY case but most I predict.

You go onto the Elusive Disc site and start putting those "must have" reissues into your cart and next thing you know your balance is $200 or more. It can get very expensive. Save up your pennies vinyl fans!

Gary,

Gotta agree with you for the most part. In fact, I've been surprised more than a few times when a "must have" vinyl reissue came out and I was disappointed to find out after listening to it, the content didn't have any "legs". At least not for me. On the other hand, some old school reissues have really been a great musical experience. One reissue that sticks out in my mind is Pink Floyd's "Dark Side Of The Moon". I couldn't wait to buy it and after it arrived I played it and was amazed at the great sound. The only problem was the "music" had passed me by. I doubt I'll ever play it again except for demonstration purposes. Then again...after my son moves out of the house...the wife and I could invite some friends over...roll a fat one...queue it up to the begining of "The Wizard Of Oz" and see if we were really enlightened way back when or just too buzzed to know the difference........

Regards,

Chris

x2 on the PF "Dark Side of the Moon"....the only 180g album I've purchased in excess of $30. Nice remake, but could have made better use of the money IMHO.

Like Gary advised, I am building a "wish list" for those that I want to obtain, and also a "wish list" for those LP's that I possess, but are beyond playback condition. Of course, it goes w/o saying I want at least ONE Art Pepper piece for my collection, since my jazz selection is so scimpy.