Bose 901 VI

Honestly, since I joined this forum, an element that constantly amazes me is the level of egocentricity that frequently surfaces -- whether the subject happened to be capacitor type/brand, crossover slope, low power/high power, cathode resistor bypass/unbypass, and whatever else that we have hit back and forth over the years -- it seems that it is inherently difficult for some to comprehend the idea that what they prefer in terms of all of those factors (caps, amps, crossover networks, etc.) just might not be the same for someone else; and based on that will immediately write-off or deem ignorant any view or taste in sound that does not happen to gel with their own.

Erik

You started a freakin thread on Bose speakers in an Audio forum for Christ's sake. What did you expect from that? A "100%-two-thumps-up-whoopee-you're-so-right" type of answer by everyone?

The only other thing I can think of in order to systematically get your a_ss kicked is to wear a Spandau Ballet t-shirt in a Hells Angel convention. Oh wait, maybe attending Jerry Falwell's funeral wearing a Tinky Winky outfit might also cause an equivalent stir.

Everybody knowledgeable knows that the only thing below Bose in the Great World of Audio is a KR tube.

BOSE = Hell on Earth.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"...just might not be the same for someone else; and based on that will immediately write-off or deem ignorant any view or taste in sound that does not happen to gel with their own."

Sure, if it doesn't sound like what I like it's pretty much crap.:)

Exactly how else are human beings supposed to act?

it seems that it is inherently difficult for some to comprehend the idea that what they prefer in terms of all of those factors just might not be the same for someone else; and based on that will immediately write-off or deem ignorant any view or taste in sound that does not happen to gel with their own.

It has absolutely nothing to do with taste and flavor and preferences! It has to do with accurate reproduction. Why this obsession with trying to justify mediocre performance?

Well said, Mike.

"Oh wait, maybe attending Jerry Falwell's funeral wearing a Tinky Winky outfit might also cause an equivalent stir."

Not a big Tinky Winky fan here, always preferred LaLa, but that is hilarious! I wish I had thought of it, and maybe even been able to do it..lol.

It's even better when you think of all the Brits who dropped acid and watched teletubbies, it was quite the rage.

Let me get this straight oldtimer. You are planning to wear a Tinky Winky on your next trip to England while you drop acid and watch Teletubbies? Is that correct?

It has absolutely nothing to do with taste and flavor and preferences! It has to do with accurate reproduction. Why this obsession with trying to justify mediocre performance?

Another gem from Sci-Fi Boy.

Considering we've yet to find a system that gives you this elusive "accurate reproduction" it has everything to do with flavor and preference (except when it comes to Bose and KR tubes of course).

Now go rent Battle Star Galactica Season XYZ, have a Dr Pepper and let the grown up play between themselve.

Eating too much spicy chicken Colonel?

Erik,

Anyway - what to make of the 901?

The equalizer seems to mask what amp you are using totally.

- the 901 is the LSD of speakers.

I would never have it as my only speaker

1. It is the most wonderfully flawed design I have ever come across.

2. It has both the best and just about the worst sound I have ever come across in the space of a 5 second gap - or less.

5. You cannot be non-commital over this thing - you love it or you hate it, however, whilst I love it - I just dont want it. "Editor's note: How many things in life do you love but not want?"

6. Cheaper than hallinogenic drugs supply with similar effect on soundstage for complex passages.

- I cannot quite get my head around this speaker yet. "Editor's note: .....and you never will."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just another biased, prejudiced review of the BOSE 901.

Max, why can't we get reviewers like you writing for these audio magazines instead of the relentless stream of techno-babble and fantasy we usually get? Of course, you went to a lot of trouble to simply confirm what I've already said, although I certainly think the way you said it was a lot more fun to read. Your experience with the later model 901's is that same as mine with the earlier model. Why are the 901's the longest-lived loudspeaker line next to Klipsch Heritage? I own Klipsch Heritage, yet bought a pair or 901's and spent twice as much as my venerable Cornwalls cost after their rebuild? I've already said it-- like Klipsch, they are icons of mid-20th Century loudspeaker design. In other words, I bought the appearance, not the performance. My Cornwalls are just the opposite-- They are Stonehenge. Big, hulking ugly boxes that are exceeded in their ugliness only by rear-projection TV sets.

The 901's great downfall is that they are harmonic nightmares-- The multiple small speakers in a small box, heavy electronic equalization, and the direct-reflected sound path produces massive amounts of harmonic distortion and spectral reinforcement/cancellation that results in the schizophrenic sound reproduction you mention. 901's as primary speakers tell you all you want to know about the owners-- That they have absolutely no ability to listen critically to their collection of Perry Como and Ink Spots LP's. 901's are simply the upscale replacement for that cheesy RCA console stereo with the red velvet grill cloth and molded plastic colonial trim.

That said, will I get rid of my 901's out of a sense of the simple shame of putting them next to a pair of Cornwalls? Not until I go blind and can't see them anymore. By the way, my monolithic Cornwalls have a Philco Predicta TV on one of them and an Edison Home cylinder phonograph on the other one, a couple more icons of design from earlier generations.

Exactly how old are you def?

"Oh wait, maybe attending Jerry Falwell's funeral wearing a Tinky Winky outfit might also cause an equivalent stir."

Not a big Tinky Winky fan here, always preferred LaLa, but that is hilarious! I wish I had thought of it, and maybe even been able to do it..lol.

It's even better when you think of all the Brits who dropped acid and watched teletubbies, it was quite the rage.

Let me get this straight oldtimer. You are planning to wear a Tinky Winky on your next trip to England while you drop acid and watch Teletubbies? Is that correct?

You got the straight part right anyway...

Considering we've yet to find a system that gives you this elusive "accurate reproduction" it has everything to do with flavor and preference (except when it comes to Bose and KR tubes of course).

Now go rent Battle Star Galactica Season XYZ, have a Dr Pepper and let the grown up play between themselve.

you have to admit, the Battlestar Gallactica reference was pretty dam funny

" They will be busy little beavers supporting the high maintenance requirements of the 901s."

to be fair...and I think I can be since I own the 901's, Khorns, LaScala's, 3 pairs of Heresy's, and had some cornwalls...I, like most other Heritage product owners have re-capped, replaced standard xovers with univesals, replaced universals with extreme slope, changed my mid drivers, changed my tweeters, changed my woofers, etc.....however, I have never had to do anything to my 901's....If I have been busy...99% of that busy time has been with the Heritage products.

Interesting that although you own a pair of BOSE 901s, you do not list them in your equipment list.

and after saying the below earlier -- is ready to sell them.

"To be more specific....the 901 system has better bass than a LaScala or Heresy and better mid bass than a Khorn. The mid-range and high frequency clarity of the 901 system is superior to the Khorn, LaScala, Heresy, etc."

"It has to do with accurate reproduction." What's that, and when do you know you've got it? When it sounds good? Accurate reproduction of what, the original recording event? What was that like, and were we even there? You must know that EVERY SINGLE COMPONENT in the chain influences the signal in some way, so when is the decision made that we have in fact obtained an accurate as possible representation? Should we invite others over to decide for us? What if the recording engineer came over to listen and found that while the overall sound was very good, the result wasn't even close to what he/she heard in the recording studio. A few EQ adjustments are made here and there, and the engineer nods in approval. Much better -- to him. The engineer leaves, and you sit down, frowning, to listen to the now much more 'accurate' sound. To use a term some seem to have a better understanding of -- Pure Crap. (as opposed to what? the diluted version?)

Again, you miss the point and continue masquerading in your little world of inexperience. Have you actually had a recording engineer over to your house? Or are you just playing out some psychotic scenario in your head? Your analogies never cease to scream that you just have no clue.

Nobody in their right mind would presume to quantify when accurate reproduction is actually obtained and to presume to imply that as my meaning is hilarious. I will however never hesitate to describe attributes that deviate from accurate reproduction. Frequency intermodulation distortion, comb-filtering, and insane power compression are just three readily apparent attributes of he 901's. Are you going to argue that a system with such distortions is going to sound more like real live music?!?

Arguing that you can enjoy music on a heavily compromised system does not make you an audiophile, nor does arguing that you can enjoy the sound of distortion. Might as well go to a wine tasting seminar and proclaim the awesomeness of your fake $1/bottle wine from Wal-Mart. Better yet, go ferment some grape juice in your fridge and boast about the importance of learning to enjoy its flavor because it too is wine. (And while you're at it, denounce all the science involved in making the good wines because you have learned to enjoy your home brewed crap.)

Ya know, I have absolutely no issue with someone enjoying music on a compromised system. But to claim a crap system as good because you can find a way to enjoy music on it is absurd. I know you disagree, but I'm not the deaf one trying to claim that my Optimus Minimus 7's are on par with a pair of Khorns simply because "they are speakers too!"

My goodness man, get out and listen to some live music sometime!

On a roll Mike.

Roc,

Is this a crusade perchance?

I think you need to chill a little. We are, after all, only discussing a model of loudspeaker. Interesting 2nd set of reviews you posted - thanks for that.

One of the things I value on this forum is the right to be wrong - I do not plan to give it up readily.

The Definitive answer ...

although Who, and I don't alway's agee ...

I belive we stand shoulder to shoulder on this ......

901's .... are in No Way ... a High Fidelity speaker ....

and no amount of fond talk can justify them as anything but ......DRECK [*-)]

What do you all think about the idea that the higher the resolving power of the loudspeaker -- the worse the recordings sound.:) Really good recordings sound great, but those of average quality sound nothing short of terrible. "Man, that sounds really good through my Bose Wave Radio, but sounds like crap through my Klipschorns."

you have to admit, the Battlestar Gallactica reference was pretty dam funny

I ADMIT IT.

And everybody knows that music always sounds better while drinking Dr. Pepper.